Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora...problems?? - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora...problems??

lorenzor

Hi everyone! So after a nice test drive I'm convinced; I would like to buy a beautiful second hand Evora :) But after a careful research on the internet my enthusiasm has suffered a little shake because I've read not much great stuff ... I found out that all evoras (and I'm not just referring to models from 2009 but also more recent ones like from 2014) have tons of misfuncions: air conditioning that does not work, infotainment that does not start, cluch/transmition that does not work, windows that do not close, etc. Now, I do understand that people complain about anything and sometimes one is simply unlucky, but what got me is that I found many people describing the same problems ... EVORA owners over here, what do you tell me? Is it so troublesome? What problems have you guys had and how did you solve them?

I've had 7, they're all been fine :)

Every car has problems, it's the nature of bolting lots of things together in a harsh environment, but the Evora is no different from any other hand built sports car, in fact in my experience they've been better. Accept that it's not perfect, no car is, and enjoy the drive. :thumbsup:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Had mine for 2 years and only issue was a window motor with a needed replacing. If you read about issues with any car you will find many! People use forums to problem solve so expect to find the same web researching any model car from any manufacturer.

mines been perfect, s1 evora...  love it...  never fails to excite when driving......

9 hours ago, lorenzor said:

I found out that all evoras (and I'm not just referring to models from 2009 but also more recent ones like from 2014) have tons of misfuncions: air conditioning that does not work, infotainment that does not start, cluch/transmition that does not work, windows that do not close, etc. 

Had mine for just over 2 years & 13k miles without any problems problem so far, hence this plus other comments above suggest your research (I found out that all Evoras) is a little flawed :thumbup:

• Like 1

I bought my 400 new 12 months and 8000 miles ago. We also have a new discovery sport. Both cars have had niggles but the Evora has been the more reliable of the two and the dealers much more efficient in getting things sorted. The problems that I've had have been minor and certainly wouldn't put me off getting another

3 hours ago, phenoyz said:

Stuno1 just curious what are you gonna replace your Evora with :)

Nothing initially as in need to see how much a house will cost! Probably a 2013-2014 c63 AMG coupe. With a engine tune alone it will be a almost 500hp weapon. Then hopefully back in to lotus ownership again after that. Maybe a 400 ?

• Like 1

most of the people on the internet writing negative things about Lotus have never owned one, and probably not even driven one, so I would take take their comments with a pinch of salt.  the evoras are certainly not known to have lots of malfunctions (the odd car with lots of troubles will exist, but thats true of any car), and in fact with they are know to be very reliable.  Reliability concerns certainly did not put me off moving from porsche to Lotus!

I have owned my September 2012 Evora S from new, and I have covered over 21000 miles.

The air con has worked well without issues since purchase.

The infotainment works fine (Pioneer unit)

The clutch is fine and original

The windows have always worked.

What's not to like :)

Add my tuppence worth re reliability.

2  Evoras owned. The first a 2011 rhd S. Air con was changed after Lotus motorsport noticed it wasn't working properly ( I never noticed as it was still functioning, just not as it should have been apparently).

Master cylinder replaced as a factory recall at service.

Clutch cables replaced at my request, the old ones were working but I thought it needed improvement. Lotus paid for this, done at regular service.

Hydraulic lines around supercharger replaced as factory recall.

Loved the car, no probl;ems found by me in running the car, just those picked up on service above. 

2nd car is another S but lhd 2013 model.  No problems at all with this one.

I have upgraded various parts from the 400 - clutch, flywheel, LSD and a power hike supplied by Lotus motorsport. None of the upgrades has given any problem.

Overall the car has been a joy to own and use and no problems.

I like the new gt430 and if the price were below 100K I would be looking at getting one with no worries about reliability.

• Like 1

Re niggles.

The radio doesn't work in any Lotus. They have never bothered to understand the need for a ground plane in a fibreglass car. Period.

Air con is basic. They should be fitting full climate control by now but don't seem to want to.

Both the above would make a huge difference to the perception of interior quality in this market segment.

Air con is fine, climate is over rated in my humble opinion.  I actually like the fact that my Evora does not have too many electrical "toys".

OP seems to have lost interest in his thread.

3 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Nothing initially as in need to see how much a house will cost! Probably a 2013-2014 c63 AMG coupe. With a engine tune alone it will be a almost 500hp weapon. Then hopefully back in to lotus ownership again after that. Maybe a 400 ?

In a straight line, yes.  What a front heavy lump of a car you're going to. After the Evora's sweet handling too and all for the sake of freeing up £10k-£12k. Barmy ;)

Hate to think what the running costs and maintenance costs are on a C63 AMG anything.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

5 hours ago, pickle said:

I bought my 400 new 12 months and 8000 miles ago. We also have a new discovery sport. Both cars have had niggles but the Evora has been the more reliable of the two and the dealers much more efficient in getting things sorted. The problems that I've had have been minor and certainly wouldn't put me off getting another

Snap!!!

We also have a Discovery Sport (wife's choice after I bought the Evora) and I can't wait for the day it gets replaced. Rattles, various other issues including fuel dilution of the oil and crap, couldn't care less dealers and manufacturer. 

In my experience not only does the Evora score well in reliability stakes, the Lotus dealers and Lotus themselves also score highly compared to JLR & BMW who were also crap at sorting niggles out.

I shouldn't of, but I really really laughed my socks off at that last post Paul.  The Discovery Sport is just about the biggest reliability lemon you can buy according to which magazine and to be honest, I know people who have paid £100k+ for a top of the line Range Rover who physically despise their dealers after the treatment they have received.

They look good, great even, do Range Rover's, but I really would not touch one with a barge pole, let alone spend my hard earned cash on one.

At least it shows the missus just how great your Evora is and Lotus dealers are. She'll not complain when you come home in a GT430 now ;) I mean, it makes perfect buying sense especially when you point out how much money the Range Rover has lost in depreciation compared to your Evora.

So. What colour you going for in the GT430? :)

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Total strangers waving at you as though they know car/you, when parked up kids wanting parents to take a photo of them in front of car

• Haha 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

@C8RKH, Andy, laugh all you want. -- I do :thumbup:. The DS has not been unreliable per se,, just full of little niggles. I've seen the Which report and IMO it is a wee bit slanted although there are production problems which JLR are aware of and have not rectified in 2 years. The previous RRS which it replaced was totally fault free over 4 years, never saw the dealers until service time so unfortunately we had little experience of their abysmal contempt for customers. It was also traded in for 60% of what we paid for it after 4 years so residual on that one was acceptable for a mainstream car. The missus now won't give JLR a second glance in future & I fear we will take quite a hammering on the residuals on this one

As for the GT 430, as nice as it is my current Evora does 95% of what I want it to do so I'm having major problems with the man maths in moving up to a 400 let alone the GT :rtfm:. The more important need will probably to dump the DS first.

Lol was only being my usual piss taking self  Paul.  The main problem with Range Rover is that with the RR, the RRS. The new Discovery and Velar and the Evoque they do make some seriously attractive cars. Build quality though can be massively variable with some owners happy, some gutted, but most unhappy with the dealers.

However like you I also struggle with the man maths with moving from an S1 Evora to a 400.

The small print.

I've got a wife and two grown kids. The Evora is my escape from my problems....

• Haha 2

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I've had my 2011 NA for 212  years and covered 27 k miles (now sitting at 59k). In that time, the only 'beat missed' was a failed clutch master cylinder so not a bad reliability record by any standards.

Brings a huge smile to my face every time I drive it, and will hopefully continue to do so for a long time to come, :thumbsup: .