Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mileage anxiety - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Mileage anxiety

On 24/12/2017 at 13:57, The Pits said:

I totally get the idea of wanting to protect your investment.

THIS is the problem. It is not an investment it is a car. Treat it as an investment then you lose all enjoyment and the chance to make some great memories but hey, I guess you make some money.

Same problem with homes. Your home is were you live and make memories. It's not a fookin' investment.

Ps. Not having a go @pits jusjust his words were spot on to be used in this context.

• Thanks 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Ok then a better choice of words would have been ‘minimise your depreciation’.

Agree though very few cars new cars are any kind of investment. Once they are sold all you have to show for it are the memories so it only makes sense to go and make some.

• Like 1

Why not have both?  I bought my S1 exige in 2000, it was my main driver for 14 years.  Tracked it, drove it hard and loved every minute!  18 months ago it underwent a full restoration and now enjoys a more sympathetic life, away from salted roads.  My motivation was nothing to do with money, I simply love the car and wanted to preserve one of Lotus's purest and finest.  The fact that values have shot up is a welcomed bonus, if they had gone the other way I'd love the car just the same.

• Like 1

Another aspect to this Topic: I guess that only because a lot of Drivers of GT3´s sportcars etc. drive that low mileages per year the manufacturers could "justify" to sell the cars with tires like the Michelin Cup that will last ? 5000 / 6000 km ?

If you use your car, say ca. 15.000 km you have to buy 2/3 new sets per year? Not only the costs matter but getting the car to the dealer takes time, more or less. I do not believe that that many People would accept that short tire changing intervals and the manufacturers would go for longer lasting not "that" typ. track tire IF they would use the cars more often / more "normal" / DD.   

The best looking ad ever.

If only it was real though. The Photoshoper didn't know how to spell "owned." 

The front of her was even better: https://mgb1967.com/you-know-youre-not-the-first/you-know-youre-not-the-first-aston-martin-girl/

An entirely reasonable point of view @domguy but I bet you had more fun in the Exige before you started treasuring it! 

I do agree that we need to preserve some examples of the older cars, if everyone just runs them into the ground it would be a shame not to have some minters out there. I’m more against this strange and self-defeating mind-set among high end supercars that only 3,000 miles and under is considered low mileage. Absurd and arbitrary nonsense. I guess if you’re only posing in London then you can get quite a lot done in 3,000 miles!

17 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

The best looking ad ever.

If only it was real though. The Photoshoper didn't know how to spell "owned." 

The front of her was even better: https://mgb1967.com/you-know-youre-not-the-first/you-know-youre-not-the-first-aston-martin-girl/

Given the subject, I thought 'Owed' was quite appropriate in this case.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

20 hours ago, DJW said:

DF569D1D-819B-4D99-8E2E-FEDAF80CD139.jpeg.fa9451657269865770b392afd837a55b.jpeg

Now don't get me wrong, it's all good, but wtf is she supposed to be doing? Peeing in the sink? Owning a raspberry? Some of the poses glamour photogs choose are hilarious. The caption should be "Pre Odour". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTK said:

Now don't get me wrong, it's all good, but wtf is she supposed to be doing? Peeing in the sink? Owning a raspberry? Some of the poses glamour photogs choose are hilarious. The caption should be "Pre Odour". 

George, She's getting "pre-staged" for a little sideways action. (assuming her male friend is taller than her with those spikes)  ;)

Those under 6.5 feet,  or otherwise not well endowed need not apply  :devil:

• Like 2

Luckily, I can't contemplate buying a new car so am not too worried by this affliction, which also seems better for people like me that the affliction exists.   However,  as my 'banger' 110K Esprit (Superb orginal paint, leather and interior carpets....) has still trebled in value over the last 5 years, or so, I'm not too concerned about the future.   Maybe looking forward to picking up a next gen Lotus for a bargain basement price?    

5 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Maybe looking forward to picking up a next gen Lotus for a bargain basement price?    

I did this 2.5 years ago. Picked up a 5 year old Evora with 15k miles for £31k. 10k miles later it's still worth £31k or so.

14 months ago picked up the Hethel bastard, a 2001 VX220 with 54k miles for £8k. 2 mths ago was offered £10k for it so decided to supercharge it lol. Drove it home last week after having the SC fitted and was crying with laughter as it spun the rear wheels in 3rd at 55mph on a dual carriageway when I booted it....

Both cars are performance motoring bargains.  As long as people continue to buy new and polish them whilst not driving them I'll have a good choice of cars in the future lol.

Still tempted by an Evora 410 though as I think £ for lb that is the sweet spot for a new Evora.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, GTK said:

Now don't get me wrong, it's all good, but wtf is she supposed to be doing?

Dunno but my mouths watering and I’ve a stirring feeling just looking

Only here once

Righto I'm off to question my sexuality :lol:

If only I had an odometer to clock up some soul search miles on but the Cortina I'm driving gave up yesterday. It's one to think about here. It was a two owner 1981 and had 39k on it when it's owner bought it in 2013 out of nostalgia for his father's car. I've taken it from 48k to just over 50. It's not perfect but it's a real survivor, and even though it's owner bought it purely as a dream car/nostalgia trip and it's very original, he's all about seeing it used. Which is how I have it at all. When me buying it was on the table he didn't worry about letting it go for a fraction of what he paid either. There's a fella to consider - so in love with his car is he that he's happy to let someone else notch up miles on his low mileage car if it means he gets it back to drive another day. When alls said and done for him you'd have to say he's not going to have any car regrets. 

• Like 2

I agree @Buddsy. Look at that 120k miler Evora for sale recently. Apart from regular servicing nothing major needed (one new clutch in that mileage is not major) and 2nd high mileage Evora car for that owner. Both reported as being solid.

I think the Anxiety is driven by three things;

1. People's memories of cars from the 60/70's that disintegrated around 60k miles (normal cars not exotics as far less people had exotics back then). Either their own cars or parents cars etc.

2. People trying to speculate to get a return - a small minority of cars allow this and people have tried to jump on the bandwagon.

3. People stretching themselves with large finance deals and who NEED the car to not lose money.  E.g. £30k cash deposit, £1200 a month for 3 years and after then coughing up another £70 or £80k you can have the McLaren or hand it back after spewing up £70k for the privilege of owning one for 3 years with a limited annual mileage.  You can of course get a loan for the £70-£80k and buy it and hope to flip it for a profit but then what about that 3 years interest even at todays low rates.and you've still lost over £15k a year.

Lotus is in this space. Cough up £35-£40k and drive away a new Evora 400. In 2 years, cough up another £35-£40k and the car is yours. You then have a £55k - £60k asset that cost you £70-£80k. So £10 k-£20k for the driving privilege for 2 years!  Of course, most people would flip into another deal - dealer offers £55k px, you have £20k to put into next Evora and another new car after 2 years. Rinse and repeat.

Cheap money has fuelled the rise in new car prices and is probably why I'll not buy new but am happy otgers want to. I never only ever dated virgins, apart from one they had all been driven before!  Guess that informed my car buying preference. :cry:

• Like 1

The small print.

I don't think anyone is going to get mileage anxiety about a Ford Focus or BMW 1 series, but Lotus are primarily bought as toys and will therefore be either second or third cars. As such many will clock up tiny mileages so there will always be lots for sale with abnormally low miles on them, so if you do happen to clock up 10k a year yours will look "high mileage" compared to much of the competition come sale time, and those looking to buy will always go for the low miler unless there's a hefty saving to be had - even those who profess not to care.

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

only ever dated virgins, apart from one they had all been driven before!  Guess that informed my car buying preference. :cry:

Guaranteed disappointment. Always nice to get a filthy surprise and learn some new tricks ?

• Haha 2

Only here once