Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges

MrP_

Hi, 

As the order is in for the Exige, I've got thinking of all the bits missing I put back in to my S2, so trying to work out what gauge options I have.

I've always preferred having Oil temp and pressure, if nothing else for knowing the temp is really up to temp as I don't always trust water temp particularly with a big lump.

However there doesn't seem to be many people running them for whatever reason, is there a reason.

For those that have fitted them, what are the options to get decent readings - is is a sandwich plate job, or are there other options that people are using?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
13 minutes ago, davevr6car said:

I presume the ecu controls this in modern cars

And if thats the case I would happily use the diagnostic port, but wanted to see what others use. Personally I prefer to make sure that the oil temp is up before opening the engine up, water will always heat up faster without the block being up to temp. It's been very useful in the last cars I've had and want to keep it if possible so want to make sure I have the readout there.

I just haven't seen many V6's with the gauges, and it was much more common in the S1's and S2's

Well according to Dave at Seriously Lotus, Lotus do not measure the oil temp or pressure which I thought would be the case.

Just now, dixie v6 said:

No oil pressure or oil temp with the diagnostic port possible....

Ta, thats what I thought, thanks for confirmation! I take it measuring this isn't that popular these days?

In the very dim and very distant past I remember the oil pressure gauge as being the most worrying instrument on any car I ever bought, especially upon 

hearing a sight rumble from the bottom end and the gauge kick in a few seconds later.... just sayin’

cheers

Mark

In the Esprit, the ECU only has a reading for the water temperature, not for oil temperature. I agree with Paul that it's nice to know what the engine temperature is, and oil is a better indication. My Esprit SE has both water and oil gauges, water temp rises swiftly, oil takes a lot longer, especially at easy motorway speeds (low load but lots of airflow through the oil coolers).

Also have to agree with Mark that an oil pressure gauge can and will cause some concern sooner or later, as the reading isn't always what you expect. But I still like to know.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

16 hours ago, davevr6car said:

What I meant by the edu controlling it was......the ecu will not allow full power until the engine is up to temperature.....even on my old 95 S4s the ecu restricts the amount of boost until the engine is up to temperature 

Yes, but the rpm limit is tied to water temp exceeding 70*C (I believe). However oil will get up to an acceptable temp much later than water after a start-up from cold.

On 1/21/2018 at 13:42, dixie v6 said:

No oil pressure or oil temp with the diagnostic port possible....

Correct but the factory did add those sensors to the CupR.

On 1/21/2018 at 12:27, MrP_ said:

Hi, 

As the order is in for the Exige, I've got thinking of all the bits missing I put back in to my S2, so trying to work out what gauge options I have.

I've always preferred having Oil temp and pressure, if nothing else for knowing the temp is really up to temp as I don't always trust water temp particularly with a big lump.

However there doesn't seem to be many people running them for whatever reason, is there a reason.

For those that have fitted them, what are the options to get decent readings - is is a sandwich plate job, or are there other options that people are using?

You would need to add the oil temp and pressure sensors for the road-going Exiges ..... easiest was the use of a sandwich plate adapter in my S2 Exige/2-11. 

This will probably work for mounting the gauges ......  http://www.elise-shop.com/hurricane-gaugepod-elise-exige-all-models-p-438.html?zenid=03d47e9743f4a4dbabd5c3365e1b7a0b 

I like lots info relating to  engine parameters ..... makes me think/hope that I can catch an issue early on before it rises to catastrophic proportions.  For me, adding a data logging dash which could also clearly display engine parameters was the solution, albeit one of the more expensive routes.  Besides, I couldn't hardly make out the water temp on the stock instrument cluster under certain lighting conditions -- old eyes I expect.

My "engine-check" display on my current instrument cluster ...

check page1.JPG

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion