Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Just how LOUD is the Cup 430 around town? - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Just how LOUD is the Cup 430 around town?

NevB

Hi All,

I'm considering ordering an Exige Cup 430 (the spec and videos look awesome) but unfortunately there are none in Australia to hear or touch yet, so it would be a leap of faith.

I'm looking for feedback comparing the Cup 430 to say the Sport 380 or Sport 350, especially with regards to the Cup 430's noise levels during spirited drives around town. I don't want the neighbourhood to hate me for making windows rattle and dogs bark!

Thanks!

Evora GT430 is pretty civilised until 4500rpm, but the titanium exhaust is very loud beyond that. The exhaust valve is entirely controlled by the ecu now so you can't over-ride it to make it noisier. But no problem keeping it below 4500rpm on the road, the car still makes good progress. So no problems around town.

1 hour ago, SFO said:

Is there anyway to install a exhaust loud button like earlier cars?

I have the valve button on my car, I don't think its just on earlier ones, my exige S didnt't have it but it also didn't have the RACE option. I think the vavle button comes with the race package.

On 2/26/2018 at 18:22, mark248am said:

I have the valve button on my car, I don't think its just on earlier ones, my exige S didnt't have it but it also didn't have the RACE option. I think the vavle button comes with the race package.

Does yours have the titanium exhaust? I was told there is no manual control of the valve on the titanium ones

Just now, Alex1710 said:

Does yours have the titanium exhaust? I was told there is no manual control of the valve on the titanium ones

No mine is the regular exhaust. If i was you I'd post in the 430 thread and see if one of the current owners can verify the fact if the 430 have the manual valve control.

I'm assuming if the exhaust has a valve then i can't see why you wouldn't have the manual control button, not unless Lotus are trying to save a bit of money by not including the button...

5 minutes ago, mark248am said:

No mine is the regular exhaust. If i was you I'd post in the 430 thread and see if one of the current owners can verify the fact if the 430 have the manual valve control.

I'm assuming if the exhaust has a valve then i can't see why you wouldn't have the manual control button, not unless Lotus are trying to save a bit of money by not including the button...

I've collected my 430 (the black one) and it doesn't have the manual valve control!

Was interested to see when you posted if I had got a bum deal but as yours is steel it makes sense you have manual control

Edited by Alex1710

2 minutes ago, Alex1710 said:

I've collected my 430 (the black one) and it doesn't have the manual valve control!

Is the exhaust always loud though? Like if you stick to touring mode or swap to Sport mode does the exhaust stay the same?

If it's anything like the Evora GT430 it can be retroactivated. The calibration is definitely in the ECU but the harness might be deleted for the switch on this car, checking for you now.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

3 minutes ago, Bibs said:

If it's anything like the Evora GT430 it can be retrofitted. The calibration is definitely in the ECU but the harness might be deleted for the switch on this car, checking for you now.

Great thanks! Would really like to be able to have it loud in the lower revs sometimes. Otherwise you only get the great noise in the top c.35% of the rev range

24 minutes ago, BAS said:

Is it quiet like a 350 or 380 exige in normal mode when flaps are closed below 4.5k rpm?

I don't know as it was so long ago that I test drove a Sport 350 I can't remember the volume levels. When I test drove the Sport 380 it was on a steel exhaust and I had the exhaust open the whole time so no help there either!

I imagine its the same as a 380 with the flaps closed

Edited by Alex1710

Very easy to activate the switch on the Evora. Not sure about the Exige, my exhaust button used to be on the steering column. Hardly ever used it on my Exige.

Lotus can't be seen to recommend making the car noisier so don't.

What was the deal with the GT410 Sport @Bibs? I have no idea what a new 400 would come with. If it's to comply with new legislation then they should all be the same.

• Like 1

Strange then if it’s just a 430 thing, doesn’t sound like it’s anything to do with legislation then.

Heat perhaps? I’d have thought the silencer would get hotter in quiet mode though?

44 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Button was there from new and worked a treat :)

That’s a relief......I’m going to go on the assumption my new Exige 380 still has the button control......as I’d be gutted if it didn’t:(

These posts have had me thinking the button could have been deleted from the 380 too and I never thought to ask when I saw mine. Valve open is the only way to drive these cars surely?!B-)

To be honest the ideal for me would be it if they had the option to run in quiet mode all the way to the redline. It would be a real asset for access to more trackdays plus it would be nice to be able to pass older drivers on the road without scaring the life out of them when the rpm passes 4500!

That first full throttle tunnel though with the titanium exhaust, good grief! ?:shock:

I went on the lotus official website and the photos they have in gallery do indeed show the exhaust button.

Did they simply decide not to do it anymore? My car goes into production this week and I really would like to know if they are gona put it or not.

I'm gona ask my dealer to verify this.

Found a couple of photos online of 430's and they too don't have the button.

Weird.