Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig. - Page 4 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig.

On 26/05/2018 at 20:18, Sparky said:

I did a fair amount around the local area - braking hard from 30-40MPH.  Finally settled on 7 turns out for the Wilwood and 19Hg vacuum.  I'll get it on the rollers on Tuesday hopefully.  Then I'll see how it brakes at higher speeds.  Looking forward to giving this one its legs now it's running so nicely.

7 turns? Presumably, you started off with the Wilwood wound right in. I went the other way, I started with it wound out on full pressure. So far I’m at 5 turns in,  so about halfway, but I reckon I might try winding it out some more again.

Effing fronts are still not playing ball, though. Might have to bite the bullet and buy some new discs and another set of pads if they don’t bed in soon. My own fault, I should have bought some with the pads.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Apologies, that's 7 turns in. Reckon I could take it further in, but will check it on rollers tomorrow.

A lot of testing today, up to 70MPH.  These brakes are better than my GT3's. Excellent, capable braking.  If heavy, front left tends to lock a little early. That might be the pads, but again, rollers will tell all and I may bleed once more.  Slight issue with the reservoir cap seal, but apart from that I'm close to signing off on this excellent conversion.

You don’t know how relieved I am to hear that!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Just blasted the yellow slag down the motorway - brakes working like a dream

ps - other than the greenstuff pads are vile

Only here once

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Apologies, that's 7 turns in. Reckon I could take it further in, but will check it on rollers tomorrow.

A lot of testing today, up to 70MPH.  These brakes are better than my GT3's. Excellent, capable braking.  If heavy, front left tends to lock a little early. That might be the pads, but again, rollers will tell all and I may bleed once more.  Slight issue with the reservoir cap seal, but apart from that I'm close to signing off on this excellent conversion.

Great news Sparky, I am getting all excited to get the car back soon ....once it's all signed off.

Chatted to Gary on this last week and the brief was to stress test the conversion to the max on my S4. I may even try and book a Northweald activity day to push it to its limits.

Ian/Barry fyi the car had new discs, braided hoses and pads (ebc green on the front, standard on the rear from PNM) fitted about 1,000 miles ago. But let's see what info comes back tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The greenstuffs are horrid on mine. Front discs are grooved items. All on it prior to my purchase of the car.

when cold not much noise - and a bit lump of wood feeling - when hot they are good - but you can hear and feel the grooves. They will be dumped very soon

None of that you could feel before with the hateful abs - you could hear my arse clamping at the seat begging it to stop safe

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Wilwood and all new unions off again; there's a slight weep there so I want to make sure everything is good.  Final bleed, then MoT at 1430.  They know about the brake conversion so it'll get a lot of scrutiny.  Smoke me a kipper...

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Passed!  Brake effort and balance were spot on, emissions now peachy.  The car is now an absolute pleasure to drive. 

@Hornsey Boy Dragan, when would you like it back?  😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Passed!  Brake effort and balance were spot on, emissions now peachy.  The car is now an absolute pleasure to drive. 

@Hornsey Boy Dragan, when would you like it back?  😁

Can't wait to get the car back.....just need to convince the family to break short our holiday in Devon.

But chatting to Sparky he says it brakes better than his GT3.😉

• Gold FFM

I might run them both out tomorrow for a direct comparison!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Hornsey Boy said:

WOW the transformation is a great success

The conversion is amazing and totally changes the way I can drive the car now

I have 100% confidence now in the car's braking, great pedal feed back. Also I can now brake much harder and deeper than I ever had the nerve to do with the old Delco system fitted. Which quite frankly scared me and was starting to stop me enjoying the car.

So a big thank you to Ian @Chillidoggy for developing a great alternative system and frankly a better one that had left Hethel in its day

The above, I’ve chose the choice parts, is exactly how i felt about mine and the conversion setup.

without question it is simply brilliant. Well done to all :thumbsup:

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Yes - the brakes work - and work ace. I’m over 600 miles in now - it has transformed the whole driving experience 

• Like 1

Only here once