Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

Geert has kindly agreed to send his springs, so I'll fit  them and see how they look. I'll report back as and when.

Plenty of other jobs to be getting on with of course! I've managed to locate some silver steel rods for the door locks. (straight ) so I've had to bend them myself, using the old ones as templates.The diameter is slightly too big so I've had to grind them down to make them fit. At the back of my garage, I found some brand new old stock door adjuster clips and the tiny gromets that fit in the door lock clips from when I had door problems with my Eclat about 20 years ago! So happy days there.( I should put that in the "what made you happy today thread!")  I do need a pair of lock barrels for the handles though. Anybody got a couple spare? What were they off? Can you still source new ones? Thanks guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Spings have arrived and I fitted them yesterday. Very happy with the result. Without the spare wheel and any passengers the car has 'dropped' by about 3 cm's. After a drive I expect it to drop slightly further. The car looks a lot better. 

wheel-before.JPG

wheel-after.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Lez,

That is good news, and apparantly against all theories and calculations? I did not expect this.

Please ,test it out , Look how they settle , feel how they ride compared to the previous.

greets Geert

To be honest I didn't know what to think! After all the posts, discussions, mathematical equations etc I did have doubts. However as I said, at the end of the day, your springs are the correct ones for the car so should be ok. I'm glad they are!! As I said in the PM, hopefully I will have another drive next week after I've sorted the spongy brakes and sorted the gear linkages. Also going to fit the engine stabiliser mod so after that plus the new engine mounts and gearbox bushes it should handle as it was suppose to. I'll let you know how it feels.

Noticed the steering rack gaiters are shot at on one side so will replace both as well. MOT fail, straight away anyway.

This is mine which my best mate fabricated for me.(not as clear as the diagram) We used the top rubber bushes from my old shock absorbers to fit onto the bracket. Recycling rules!! Just fitted them so we'll see how they fare.

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

I had a read of @comem47 post regarding this issue and thought it was a good idea. It was a mod fitted to the S2 Esprit's and retro fitted to some S1's to limit movement and strain on the the engine mounts anf gearbox bushes.

Here is the actual post. Hope this is ok to requote it Bob. 

"S2 cars had an engine stay rod kit installed somewhere along production and retrofitted at dealers to limit movement and strain on all the engine mounts

Goes between the crossmember frame (welded to a pivot steel bushing)and bell-housing ( a bushing with washers near air pump bracket on Fed cars)

The rod is threaded near the bushing for adjustment. Had to have the rod re-welded to the steel pivot bushing on mine once.

[The diagram is courtesy of Tim Engle from s1s2s3owners group on yahoo. Blue arrow is item described) See previous diagram.

If you join the s1s2s3owners list on yahoogroups you can also find instructions in the files and photos section to make up your own engine mount brackets to use the turbo mounts vs buying the more expensive kits from vendors if you are good at fabricating things. Look for the document entitled REPLACEMENT ENGINE MOUNTS FOR S1.doc Elsewhere there is also a picture showing another approach modifying the stock arms. Some looking about in the files section is necessary to gain the total picture of your options".

Mmmmmm .... I may end up eating my words, but I don't think this is absolutely necessary. I can't see any reference to it in the WSM or Service Notes.

The gearbox mounting bushes were fine on my car.

I certainly won't be loosing sleep over not fitting it.

Nifty little fix you've provided there, Lez! Looking forward to your further posts on the results as you are able to wring the car out when it's ready to go.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Jeanvm said:

I do not recall had ever a problem with that. But interesting to know that this tool exists.

Yes it exists - if your best mate manufactures it!!  :cheers:

18 hours ago, Fridge said:

Mmmmmm .... I may end up eating my words, but I don't think this is absolutely necessary. I can't see any reference to it in the WSM or Service Notes.

The gearbox mounting bushes were fine on my car.

I certainly won't be loosing sleep over not fitting it.

Yes, you might think its belt and braces, but if Lotus decided to spend extra money and fit it to the S2 they must have thought it needed it!! I seem to remember reading a post in favour of this mod by saying. Take the engine cover off, then accelerate -  then brake hard and you can see how much the engine is moving backwards and forwards". Of course this then opens up the "its not original" argument, which I totally understand.

With the SJ polly mounts I wouldn’t have thought the engine stabilizing rod would be required. Nice heat shield work by the way.

Been following with much interested. Keep up the good work Lez.

• Like 1

Thanks Gavin, Will try! 

After replacing the knackered brake servo grommet, adjusted the gear linkages and replaced the steering rack gaiters, I took the car out for another shake down today. Must say I was def. disappointed that the brakes are still not good and it still jumps out of 4th gear. Got it back in the garage and delved more deeply into the brake servo. It looks as if its not working. I can only think the diaphragm has gone. (this happened on the Eclat many years ago). I remember having problems replacing it then, so expect no less today! Any ideas?? Also any ideas regarding the 4th gear jumping out? Simple fix I haven't thought about(he said hopefully!) or is it gearbox out?

On a happier note, @gvy Geert's springs are looking good (or at least making the car look good!)

Your gear problems are probably down to adjustment of the linkages and crossgate cable. Don't be tempted to go down the poly engine mount route - the exhaust side will melt. @jonroberts can tell you all about poly mounts on an S1.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks @Paul Coleman and @Fridge. I will recheck the gearbox linkages before anything else. As I'd already mentioned I HAVE got polybushes. They were fitted (and melted) when I took delivery of the car. Rather than change the brackets etc I have given them a go. Albeit with titanium wrapping round the exhaust and shielding on the bush/mount itself and from the exhaust. I'll report back as and when I get it o the road.

After further investigation it looks as if the servo IS knackered. So ill have to send if off for a refurb. Cannot find anywhere that will sell me the diaphragm. Had a look at the gear lever mechanism. Looks as if there should be a 'pin' going through the gear knob at the bottom where the red circle is. Is this correct?

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 22:13, Fridge said:

Yes, it's just a simple scroll pin. It extends out over the notched gate which runs directly across, in front of it.

How do I remove it? Do I have to dismantle the gear shift mechanism?