Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very nice :) What are your plans for it?

Half way there for another Bond clone :sofa:

Do like the wheels on it, they work very well as an alternative to the Wolfraces.

• Gold FFM

Is that rear valance(?) how all S1's look? 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Gutted you sold your S2 but it looks like a nice car, right colour for an S1 and the wheels look period correct, They look very smart.

Good luck with the restoration 

A

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

Is that rear valance(?) how all S1's look? 

the lower valence itself I think is normal, certainly very like an S2's, but the upper plinth section the bumper is mounted to I suspect is federal. The front bumper is deeper than normal too but not the usual foam rubber type you see on federal cars. I've seen one other car with that same front bumper, it's like a double depth version of the standard UK spec bumper. Or maybe I'm wrong now that I look again, hard to tell. It's in great nick if it's the soft federal bumper.

3 hours ago, GTK said:

the lower valence itself I think is normal, certainly very like an S2's, but the upper plinth section the bumper is mounted to I suspect is federal. The front bumper is deeper than normal too but not the usual foam rubber type you see on federal cars. I've seen one other car with that same front bumper, it's like a double depth version of the standard UK spec bumper. Or maybe I'm wrong now that I look again, hard to tell. It's in great nick if it's the soft federal bumper.

Yes, rear valance is federal(as are the front and rear bumpers). I think they are pretty horrendous and I want to get it to Euro spec so have ordered the kit from SJ. The front bumper is in pretty good nick. The rear has a crack in it. I think this was done on the way over. Im going down to the garage this afternoon to get it on the hoist and look at the damage from underneath. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markt said:

Very nice :) What are your plans for it?

Half way there for another Bond clone :sofa:

Do like the wheels on it, they work very well as an alternative to the Wolfraces.

Thanks for the good wishes. No doubt I'll be asking for lots of help from the forum! Its not going to be anther Bond clone. I think there are enough of them about already! Well not on the inside anyway. I'm not a big fan of the green tartan. As a Scot my Clan is McDonald so don't want to get excommunicated by being seen in the wrong tartan! Although I quite like the wheels, the original Wolfrace wheels came with the car so will be swopping them at some time. The first priority however is getting it on the road. I need to drive this!!! So jobs needed are as follows:- General recommission. Fit new front bumper so I can fit indicators and side lights. Find and fix seat belts. (there aren't any!) Anybody know what these are off or has a spare set? Fit RHD dipped headlights.  Is there anything else that needs changing?? I'll keep everyone up to date with the progress. Cheers guys. 

After another check over I also need to do the following:- Find the middle piece for the original steering wheel! (any idea's?) Replace the non Lotus indicator and light stalk and the windscreen stalk (I think I have a spare set from my Eclat). Replace the non Lotus switches on the dash. Inside the engine bay,  get all the wooden frames and carpet (they are nearly all missing)and get a Lotus expansion tank so I can do away with the odd silver one held on with angle iron and jubilee clips!  Im sure there will be more!

IMG_1833 (1).JPG

DSC00135 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

I'd buy a new S1 front air dam from SJ Sportscars and replace that beaten up one. They're about £120 or so. They are better made than the originals and worth the money and effort. I was going to repair mine, but glad I didn't go down that route.

A upper and lower air box would be ideal too.

Looks like it has had an inclined S2 radiator fitted at some point. It'll be a lot deeper than an original S1 version. A mod I've seen on other RHD S1s, and probably worth keeping.

I think @Matt-watts was going to have the steering wheel centre boss's remade. Otherwise you're looking at a long search and ££££'s.

You're right, the rear valance on S1s were different on Federal cars compared to UK RHD. Having a central mesh section. I believe it accommodated the increased anti-smog measures fitted at the time. The UK rear valance is less boxy, and doesn't protrude as much. Later S1's had the valance that eventually went on the S2. Along with the larger exhaust system.

Good luck with the restoration. I'm finally putting the doors on my S1 restoration after 20 months. Yikes!

Edited by Fridge

Rimmer Brothers for the column mounted and dash switches, perusing those listed for Triumph Stag for the most part. Not sure there's anything amiss with the originality of those you have though.

Careful on presumptions of blame for the gaffer tape and tie-wrap efforts: I have a PDF collection of photos of your very car dated Dec. 2016 which was circulated by the chap in New Jersey whilst trying to sell the car last year. That fix of rad mounting was clearly in place at least by the time the PDF collection was circulated. Also visible is a photo of a vertical crack 2-3" in length in the rear bumper inboard of the RHS tail lamp. Love the car nonetheless, it's very much a diamond in the (not so) rough! 

Hi Steve thanks for the heads up on the damage. The car transporter guy said that both sides have damage. One side looked like old damage but the other side was new. Not too fussed regarding the bumper because Im going to change it to Euro spec anyway. Was just annoyed if the damage was caused by careless shippers. Will check out Rimmers on Moday.Thanks again. 

17 hours ago, Fridge said:

I'd buy a new S1 front air dam from SJ Sportscars and replace that beaten up one. They're about £120 or so. They are better made than the originals and worth the money and effort. I was going to repair mine, but glad I didn't go down that route.

A upper and lower air box would be ideal too.

Looks like it has had an inclined S2 radiator fitted at some point. It'll be a lot deeper than an original S1 version. A mod I've seen on other RHD S1s, and probably worth keeping.

I think @Matt-watts was going to have the steering wheel centre boss's remade. Otherwise you're looking at a long search and ££££'s.

You're right, the rear valance on S1s were different on Federal cars compared to UK RHD. Having a central mesh section. I believe it accommodated the increased anti-smog measures fitted at the time. The UK rear valance is less boxy, and doesn't protrude as much. Later S1's had the valance that eventually went on the S2. Along with the larger exhaust system.

Good luck with the restoration. I'm finally putting the doors on my S1 restoration after 20 months. Yikes!

Hi David Yes it looks like a brand new air dam is the way to go. I'll contact Mark and see what he says regarding the boss. I just really want to get the car up and running asap, so I can have some fun over the rest of the summer. Then plan what Im going to do resto wise. After 20 months I bet your chomping at the bit!!

Yes you could say that @williamtherebel

It's been a painstaking process, with every nut and bolt replaced, and each component refurbished. It's like new, but hopefully retaining as much of the original car as possible. It was largely complete, which has helped.

I am aiming to get it on the road this summer with any luck. Except some of the electrics are proving tricky. It has a new loom and a mix of S1 and early S2 wiring in the front (twin lamp pod motors), and those have made my life a misery so far. Relays!

Good to see another on the road, and I you're not too far from me. There's another RHD S1 being restored in South Africa too.

21 hours ago, drdoom said:

Rimmer Brothers for the column mounted and dash switches, perusing those listed for Triumph Stag for the most part. Not sure there's anything amiss with the originality of those you have though.

Careful on presumptions of blame for the gaffer tape and tie-wrap efforts: I have a PDF collection of photos of your very car dated Dec. 2016 which was circulated by the chap in New Jersey whilst trying to sell the car last year. That fix of rad mounting was clearly in place at least by the time the PDF collection was circulated. Also visible is a photo of a vertical crack 2-3" in length in the rear bumper inboard of the RHS tail lamp. Love the car nonetheless, it's very much a diamond in the (not so) rough! 

Hi Steve Any chance of the PDF showing the damage? Cheers.

6 hours ago, Fridge said:

Yes you could say that @williamtherebel

It's been a painstaking process, with every nut and bolt replaced, and each component refurbished. It's like new, but hopefully retaining as much of the original car as possible. It was largely complete, which has helped.

I am aiming to get it on the road this summer with any luck. Except some of the electrics are proving tricky. It has a new loom and a mix of S1 and early S2 wiring in the front (twin lamp pod motors), and those have made my life a misery so far. Relays!

Good to see another on the road, and I you're not too far from me. There's another RHD S1 being restored in South Africa too.

Yes there are too few S1's left, its always nice to get another on the road. When there both on the road perhaps we can meet up (halfway?) and give them a good test run. 

I remember this car selling on the back of those photos one Sunday about 18 months ago. Hours of it appearing on Facebook.

The wheels are quite funky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, Im a bit further on with the 'small' resto (just to get it up and running, driving) before the BIG resto later!!

The original Wolfrace wheels have been sent off for refurbishment.

Front bumper is nearly sorted after hacking away at the front bodywork to get the indicator/side light to fit.

The new seat belts I got from SJ are now fitted (after having to make new slots in the engine bay cos there wern't any!) 

After ordering a new radiator mounting duct/front spoiler from SJ, took the old damaged one off and low and behold and lovely big bodge!!

The gray tape and cable ties that were visible when the car arrived (and that I thought were a temp repair after the shippers had damaged them) turn out to be a  'permanent' repair. (thanks " DR Doom")The radiator is more on its side instead of (inclined??) so it cannot be doing much in the cooling stakes. The gray tape is wrapped around some home made metal brackets and the only thing that is holding the radiator on these brackets is --- you guessed it, the cable ties! "Fridge"  thinks the radiator is from a S2. Has anyone got any photos so I can see how it is suppose to fit? Im not sure if Im ordering from SJ, what parts I need -- some S1 bits plus some S2 bits perhaps??.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG