Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wastegate control valve - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Wastegate control valve

• Gold FFM

I received a reply from Rockauto, not awfully helpful really as they said they are not a part look up service. So in order to find the correct electrical plug I need to find a vehicle that has this solenoid fitted to, then try and search the plug on their website. 

Anyone know what vehicle would have this solenoid fitted?

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 13:28, Gjk said:

Any one know where I can get a wastegate control valve part number A082M6420F from. It’s for a 1991 Turbo SE. SJ’s want 96 quid plus vat. I contacted Oakmere and SWLC but neither have one. The part went obsolete in 2007. Phil at SWLC said the valve was a standard item i.e not specific to lotus and that the same valves are fitted to Mitsubishi shogun td and Fords ranger td. Can anyone verify this? Any help would be much appreciated.

grahame.

Grahame,

I might have one, I'll go a take a look after tea and let you know.

Regards,

David

On 01/07/2018 at 16:50, fjmuurling said:

Just measured (measurements taken on the solenoids directly) the following on my car:

WG Solenoid - A082M6420F - 24 Ohm

TJ Solenoid - A082M6421F - 35 Ohm

EBPV Solenoid - A082M6421F - 47 Ohm

Freek, as you've listed, TJ and EBPV use exactly the same solenoid, so either there is a significant spread on the resistance, or your measurements aren't exact. Either way, it won't matter as those are just turned on or off and the relays have plenty of capacity regardless of the resistance. Wastegate modulator could be more sensitive, as that's switched on and off rapidly to achieve a certain dutycycle to regulate the pressure.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

3 hours ago, Escape said:

Freek, as you've listed, TJ and EBPV use exactly the same solenoid, so either there is a significant spread on the resistance, or your measurements aren't exact. Either way, it won't matter as those are just turned on or off and the relays have plenty of capacity regardless of the resistance. Wastegate modulator could be more sensitive, as that's switched on and off rapidly to achieve a certain dutycycle to regulate the pressure.

Measurements were exact, just rounded them to the nearest whole value. (rounding error less than 0.3 Ohm) I used a Metrahit 24S Multimeter. Made all measurements twice. Ok I did not zero the multimeter but checked the "zero" resistance. (was 0.19 Ohm).

The WG Solenoid is directly driven by one of the ECU Quad drivers as it is PWmodulated. The outputs of those Quaddrivers can handle max 1.0 A (Datasheet TPIC 2404, which is most likely used in the ECU) with a 1.5 A overcurrent protection. With 24 Ohm coil resistance and 16V (worst case) the current will be around 0.67A which will be OK. (personally I wouldn't like to go over 0.75A).

The TJ and the EBPV solenoid are driven by one relay (on a changeover contact) which in turn is also operated by one of the ECU Quad drivers.

The solenoid part numbers just came out of the Lotus Parts Manual.

Esprit Freak

Just did a recheck with the Multimeter "zeroed" and no rounding of the numbers:

WG Solenoid - 24.07 Ohm

TJ Solenoid - 34.85 Ohm

EBPV Solenoid - 47.22 Ohm

Esprit Freak

I knew the solenoids for EBPV and TJ were the same, that's why I also checked the partnumbers to confirm as I was surprised at the different measurements.

I certainly didn't mean to question your multimeter or method of rounding. It's just that taking measurements for resistance can be tricky, especially in old circuits/cars. Often it's difficult to get a good and constant connection to the meter probes to begin with. Same goes for the actual circuits when used. So I feel we're overthinking it, resistance is obviously not that critical.

Greetz,

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Derek, I,m only guessing I would/might need a different plug as the actual Delco part number drew a blank when I tried to search for it. It was only after you posted the GM number that I started to get results, and the Delco number started to appear alongside. The other reason was that when I did a vehicle suitability check on the rockauto website it didn’t list the esprit. I may very well have put 2 and 2 together and got 5 but, what I don’t want is to order the item, wait for it to arrive, go to fit it and... damb wrong plug!  

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, superdavelotus said:

Hi Grahame,

I found the valve but sadly it's A082M6421F solenoid valve. Sorry about that.

IMG_6118.JPG

Hi David

Thanks for looking, not to worry.

• Gold FFM

Aaah, ok, I get it. Thanks for explaining! I’m not the best part searcher. I think I’ll take a punt and get one ordered.

Just now, superdavelotus said:

Have you tried PNM Engineering?

Yes, that was first place I looked. They want 115 quid! 😳

Sorry not PNM, I was thinking SJ’s. PNM have not got it listed on there website but, I have not rang them.

11 minutes ago, Gjk said:

Aaah, ok, I get it. Thanks for explaining! I’m not the best part searcher. I think I’ll take a punt and get one ordered.

Yes, that was first place I looked. They want 115 quid! 😳

Sorry not PNM, I was thinking SJ’s. PNM have not got it listed on there website but, I have not rang them.

PNM won't list a part like that as they have only recently form an online shop, so it will take time. Try ringing them.

I definitely had this part too but I think I've given it away as it's not in the usual places. I once broke a V8 and had parts like these lying round.

• Gold FFM

Thanks David. I have to admit that in the time taken between our last two posts I have ordered one from rockauto. I will give PNM a call though just to see if they stock it, I did have a ring round a few of the regular lotus part supplier’s but, was told that the part went obsolete in 2007ish’. The one from the states cost just over 47 quid including shipping.

4 minutes ago, Gjk said:

Thanks David. I have to admit that in the time taken between our last two posts I have ordered one from rockauto. I will give PNM a call though just to see if they stock it, I did have a ring round a few of the regular lotus part supplier’s but, was told that the part went obsolete in 2007ish’. The one from the states cost just over 47 quid including shipping.

Do you have the part number or link to the Rockauto? I used to order parts from them years ago!

• Gold FFM

It was a rather long winded way of getting to find the part on the rockauto website as when I searched their site for AC DELCO 214474 it came up with a blank. It was only when Derek posted the GM part number 01997152, which I then googled that it took me to the rockauto site again, so I am sorry I don’t have a link.

• Gold FFM

I’ve just had an interesting chat with a guy at PNM and he said that if the wastegate control solenoid is at fault to simply connect the boost hose from the Turbo compressor to the wastegate actuator hose as all the solenoid does is allow temporary periods of higher boost levels thus controlled by the ECU. He didn’t actually say that they stocked the part but, could get hold of it. No price was mentioned. He also added that up until the SE all the Turbo esprit’s were plumbed from the Turbo compressor straight to the wastegate actuator.

Yes, the wastegate control is only there to allow a higher boost when conditions allow. It does so by allowing part of the boost pressure to escape to atmosphere before reaching the mechanical wastegate. If you bypass the solenoid, you still have the mechanical wastegate preventing overboost, just like on older Esprits. So unless you drive your car hard, you wont even notice the solenoid is not there. Of course one would prefer to have full power available...

Filip 

• Gold FFM

Erm, I’m not actually 100% sure! I know this sounds barmy but at present the car is in Norfolk having a gearbox overhaul, respray and the interior spruced up. The chap looking after it plugged the car into the tech 1 tool to see if there were any underlying issues and the only fault was the wastegate control solenoid. I don’t know what the error is.

5 hours ago, Gjk said:

Erm, I’m not actually 100% sure! I know this sounds barmy but at present the car is in Norfolk having a gearbox overhaul, respray and the interior spruced up. The chap looking after it plugged the car into the tech 1 tool to see if there were any underlying issues and the only fault was the wastegate control solenoid. I don’t know what the error is.

If this is ever unplugged for whatever reason and you try and start the car, it will throw up this error code. Did you garage guy clear the codes and see if the error came back?

I think this is the linkhttps://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,1993,typhoon,4.3l+v6+turbocharged,1164451,engine,turbocharger+wastegate+solenoid,17200

£34 plus postage in case anyone needs to know.

• Gold FFM

I’m not sure. I think he just plugged it into the tech 1 to see if there were any codes at all. He was not fault finding, just carried it out as a bit of a failsafe. That is not to say that another previous owner had unplugged it. He did not try to clear the code as far as I am aware but I could be wrong!

I’m glad you know how to put a link to rockauto onto this forum as I have absolutely no idea! 😳

that is the exact same solenoid I ordered, it was £48.82 including shipping.

• Gold FFM

I forgot to add that at this moment in time the car is unable to have the engine run as the gearbox is out.

• Gold FFM

New solenoid arrived today. Next question, will the oe plug fit? Can anyone tell from the picture if it is the same as the oe plug?

210EC328-AF7A-4AB6-86EB-469D8ADACD2D.jpeg