Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

• Gold FFM

Yes, mine is an early S4s. The early combined chargcooler/condenser is bolted in from the bottom of the tray and then four panel edge clips are supposed to hold it to the upright bars on the rad frame. Later versions seem to have some metal brackets to hold the two rads together and then it's bolted in from the side of the pack from what I can see in the parts list.

I found some panel edge clips that have wider jaws last night so I'm going to measure the gap between the rads today and if it's within range I can put some packers between the rads and use these larger clips 🤞

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• Gold FFM

I don't enjoy painting anything at the best of times, let alone parts of my car, but the various bodywork repairs needed doing; it was stressful to say the least. I painted the frunk floor first and despite my best efforts to sand and clean the area the paint reacted in the area between the two main cracks I repaired and I ended up having to sand the whole area back and start again :cry: Thankfully it and the boot floor came up fine on my second round of painting. Got a bit of dust still to clean up in the boot area but I'm satisfied with the finish.

6P7zSh7Xv_Qh1JQ2shNaLXKxgL1a5wKbDDOylrVK

V-ZHnOlnvmUIhY9D82rAfRSwwx7Z_7MHrlqgiN_F

0EnoIiGiPNB77wvjB4cHWN90kSJWU_8jy9KDEycG

If you haven’t already done so, it’s a good idea to use copper grease on those gearbox mount bolt threads, especially as they’re so long and thin. Mine were seized when I came to remove the frame, and I really thought they were going to shear.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I haven't copper greased them yet, but I will do. Thanks for the warning.

The two long bolts have actually been bent from the damage that bent the frame so I've got some replacements on order and the frame will have to come off again briefly to allow me to renew the reflective foil around the edge of the boot floor in the area above the exhaust too so I'll do it then.

• Gold FFM

The cradle is made of steel isn't it? So copper grease should be fine in this case shouldn't it.

And, I'd give that lovely new cradle a couple of coats of paint while it's accessible as an investment against future corrosion if I were you. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

I wasn't sure how hardy that plating was going to be so I was planning to get a few bits, including the cradle, powder coated over the winter when the engine is out for the belts to be done.

I'm hoping to be able to drive it before then though, so didn't feel painting it the cradle was essential right now. That said the wife and I are still shielding due to her medication so at this rate I might not actually get out in it before the summer's out. I'll be gutted if that does end up being the case 🙁

• Gold FFM

Spent the last two evenings putting together a brand new fan sub-loom from scratch. It's all been trial fitted and brielfly tested with a direct feed from the battery.

r9b72Rsq-5D4kQDkOwIlUP-hhZJgnGd7rgeAbNoe

I need to procure some clips to hold the loom to the front of the chassis but I'll sort them when the rad pack is fully installed in due course.

YwObbVc02lFFUWrB1wlxrZxY9j2gKF-FzqizoOOg

Fan fuses all properly secured with new fuse holders again.

6KqIiDOeszhN9SBTd1x-JYUuPuNSjpvkVtZ16q9c

I've also given the tail pipe a quick once over with some fine wire wool and some metal polish. I don't intend to run this back box long term because I've got the V8 valance, but for now it will look a bit nicer while I get the car running again.

Before

lfcMhQz4-8VxcVD33xRfWh67hnH3ZMFbDlnWD59F

After - I'll go over once more to try and improve it further but I don't plan to spend any more time than that on it - it needs to go back on the car.

0_BtTuX0iTSEneoO5_Kj64WxQpRkoRukksUMRYGi

• Gold FFM

It only really needs to make it through an MOT and then I can think about changing i providing everything else goes to plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomcattom said:

It only really needs to make it through an MOT

Hi Tom,

Not sure if it's on your to do list (I haven't read every post yet) but that front lower wishbone pivot bush looks to be toshed in the second picture.

The rubber lip looks to be missing and it's metal to metal with the subframe. Could certainly pick up a fail on the MOT if it is as bad as it appears in the pic.

Andy.

• Gold FFM

I hadn't noticed it @AndyPG - I thought I was done with unexpected surprises on the car for now 🙁

Interestingly the bush on the other side looks the same. Is this a common way these bushes fail? Or has someone tried to bodge the wrong bushes into the arm maybe?

Part of me thinks I'll just chance it at the MOT and hope it passes because I'm worried what else might be uncovered if I start stripping down the suspension now.

27 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

Is this a common way these bushes fail?

Hi Tom,

Not really a common fault as such, IMO, but after 25+ years in use, many bushes are showing a bit of distress.

It's a fairly easy change and will be affecting your suspension/steering geometry slightly.

A bush can pass if it's slightly cracked or perished but if it has lost it's functionality it's a certain fail if it's spotted.

I think they're about £20 each for PU ones.

35 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

I thought I was done with unexpected surprises on the car for now

They're always just around the corner 😆

Andy.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

You'll only find a couple of maxed out credit cards caused by Esprit ownership in my wallet 😂

2 hours ago, tomcattom said:

You'll only find a couple of maxed out credit cards caused by Esprit ownership in my wallet

I used to keep a log of the spend on my Esprit but that period of masochism soon passed. Now I just keep a log of parts and try to forget the cost.

10 hours ago, tomcattom said:

has someone tried to bodge the wrong bushes into the arm

It's the correct bush (probably even original)

From what I've seen, those ones always seems to end up squeezed rearward. You may have lost a couple of degrees of caster with the lower wishbone displaced as it is.

Andy.

• Gold FFM

Couple of important deliveries arrived this morning.

Oil coolers have returned from Serck. One or the original coolers was fine and just required a clean and lick of paint, the other was leaking and has been replaced for a new one.

61KACE9TYDFLSxdndWZBqMtH01xGYhZUPcWw6POW

I also took delivery of a pair of replacement ducts for the oil coolers. The drivers one was missing entirely and the passengers side one has a nasty crack in the duct where where the horns are fixed. The main part of the duct is available still, but the splitter part that goes behing the cooler is NLA. I struck out finding replacements in the UK and ended up getting these shipped in from a breakers yard in the US.

0sl646iLXL3Dnnk1IWhiauMI6VTOxd7tLnhHdGOJ

The grilles that go behind the coolers are on order and should be here in a week or so, along with the heat reflective foil, so I'm almost in a position to get the front end reassembled and get the car into something resembling running condition.

• 3 weeks later...