Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlight problem - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlight problem

Tonight was my first time driving my '88 Esprit at night.  When I returned home, the headlights wouldn't go down or turn off.  I'm assuming that since it's affecting both the motors and the on / off operation that it's likely to be the switch.  Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

USA cars do have that module.

On our '88 it delays pod retraction by only a second or two. Can't remember if the delay module keeps the lights on, though.

Still, worth the time spent to reseat all the colorful modules and relays under the bonnet. (Always support/hold the wiring underneath when doing this to ensure that socket connectors are not pulled away.) :yes: 

Some contact cleaner might be worthwhile to use as well, since Tim's car was sitting dormant for a time.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Hi Tim,

A few things to look into (like I did on my Esprit):

* light switch, clean.

* pod control module (relay at the relay arm and which on my car is the green relay) , can sometime stick and can usually be cured with good contact cleaner and a bit of pluging in and out a few times.

* Pod delay module, placed at the front of the car, next to one of the head lamps. Unplugs and unscrews and can then be taken apart (black sticky stuff sealant can be reused), and inspected for brown or burnt out special transistors, marked Q1 and Q2. Can be bought after some looking around, but can be real hard to find, so better preventative measures. No newer versions of these were made. Separated solderings may be found as well, because of uneven bumpy roads ;)  Better cooling plated may be added to these parts indicated with red arrows, so they last longer. A bit like for example the mosfets on a Class A amp like the Musical Fidelity A1, which also can burn out because of insufficient cooling paste. in this case of the Esprit, an aluminium cooling plate together with cooling paste will Work.

* Clean all connectors with electrical cleaner as well. You may want to repeat this step two or three times.

* General notice. Usually it's a bit of a bad contact at the pod control module at the relay"arm", or relay-console. Seldomly it's the pod delay module, nla. but can be repaired at most instances.

My Esprit Works so, that upon activating the retraction of the head lamp pods, the lights go out, then a delay, then the retraction. This to ensure that no warm lamps are retracted into the bodyshell.

Kind regards,

jacques

opening module.JPG

module open 2.jpg

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 months later...

BTW can one mess up the lamp pod when having used the emergency winder to open the pod ? I mean if the motors are OK and you switch on iginition and/or head light: where will you end up with the pods ?

Is the gear free running or does it jam ? I just changed all bulbs in manual up-position and rewinded the pods back manually.  It might be saving winding it all back another time on the next instance.

No worries Mark on using the emergency winder,   just wind up, wind down as many times as you you like until you get the switch sorted.   You cant damage anything or underwind or overwind.  :)

Would personally just leave them up for the duration until you get the light switch sorted,   esprits look cool with the pods up imo  :thumbup:

A

I can confirm you can use the winders as you please, you don't even need to wind the pods down again before restoring electrical power. I often wind the pods up manually for washing or such, afterwards just flash high beam and they will retract. The manual winders turn the motor spindle, the end positions are determined by stall current at the stops, so nothing can go wrong (at least not with that part of the pop-up mechanism...)

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 3 years later...

Does any one have the specs for the MOSFET's so that replacements can be bought for installation in these pods. I've put in what were recommended replacements and they burnt out almost immediately

Does any one have the specs for the MOSFET's so that replacements can be bought for installation in these pods. I've put in what were recommended replacements and they burnt out almost immediately

These beauties

Mosfet2.jpg

Mosfet.jpg

Thanks Simon much appreciated

They've been working ok for the last 20 years and as far as I'm aware were the originals. They just decided to give up the ghost recently. I'd like to replace the whole unit but of course you can't get them now