Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Buying a Former Launch / Press Car - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Buying a Former Launch / Press Car

SH

I see Hoffmans have the launch / press 410 automatic for sale.  

That fact doesn't really bother me as I work on the premise that it's a Lotus - it's built for hooning on tracks!   I'd be interested to hear what others think though - would all the power-sliding antics that are plastered across the Net make it less attractive to you?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-410-sport-ips----------------2016/9394005

I have the Paris motor show launch edition Evora S.

Bought at the right price of course but it was a stunning car, although I have added some improvements since buying. 

Get a warranty and buy at the right price. I don't know the car but it looks pretty good (and its grey) 😃

If the can provide the engine print out to show its not been over reved, and they will honour the warranty - then it should be OK. But you will have trouble selling it as people will just think some muppet has driven it like it's stolen when they find the reg number in the magazines. So factor this in the price.

I'm not saying it will have been trashed, but people will think it has, maybe.

I had a press M3, it was impeccable, consumables were changed more than it was filled with petrol - so it doesn't go hand in hand. Looking at the engine print out it had tootled round streets and never gone above 60!

@SH the car used in that Lotus promo is a manual 410 currently for sale at Bell & Colvill 

https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/usedcars/cardetail/100005908/Lotus/EVORA

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

1 hour ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Revving to 6K with a cold engine🤔

I wouldn't rush to assume that on the basis of this video - it's far from a chronological one-take piece of film-making!  

• Like 1

I love the fact that I have a stack of Car Magazine issues featuring my car when it was being run on a long term test. How many other people have pictures of their car on the production line or going sideways at Hethel? Like baby photos, but better. And as well as the running in service, it had 2 more services in its first year!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, m1980k said:

I love the fact that I have a stack of Car Magazine issues featuring my car when it was being run on a long term test. How many other people have pictures of their car on the production line or going sideways at Hethel? Like baby photos, but better. And as well as the running in service, it had 2 more services in its first year!

Yep, provenance is king. I have some Paris motor show photogs of mine plus the cert from the Lotus archivist and a nice covering letter outlining the build. 

Hi there that’s my car at Hoffman’s :)

It was an ex press car for pics/ media only as the black one at B&C was the one driven by journalists (see YouTube videos on 410 sport). 

It’s been an absolute joy to drive and everything in prestine order with no squeaks, and given it’s age and mileage, wants for nothing. I know the owner before me (like me) kept it garaged, did not track and put little miles on it. I added the headunit to replace the blank silver plaque. It was serviced at Leeds Lotus last year with zero faults/ advisories found as part of their inspection. 

Let me know if you’d like any info, I’d be more than happy to share! Hoffman’s also know the car well.

V

• Like 2

Thanks again @london_v.

I'm going to have a good think about it.  The 410 Sport has some pro's / con's - thing is, my pro's / con's seem to differ very much to the general markets consensus!

E.g.  I prefer the 2+0 seating arrangement of this 410 Sport - the market seems to prefer the 2 + 2.  I prefer the Auto box - the market seems to prefer the manual.  

I can now rationalise the extra £10k spend - I couldn't add the carbon roof, tailgate, seats, front access panel, splitter, diffuser and forged wheels to my 400 for anywhere near that figure (probably just over £20k in parts there going by DeRoure's pricing).  It's also an ultra-rare model - HowManyLeft say there's just 1 registered 410 Sport Auto (this one?).  There could of course be more, but not many.

The one thing that I'm really struggling with though are the visual differences.  My Evora 400 is super classy looking in silver with black pack, black wheels, black logo-less callipers, and full red leather interior - some pics below.  This 410 Sport is a much more 'brash' looking car.  Not a bad thing - it's just different... and I'm wondering if I can carry off that look now that I'm in my mid 40's!  🤣😂🤣

Decisions decision decision... anyway - my car:

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 16.51.50.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 16.51.59.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 16.52.09.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 16.52.18.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 16.52.42.png

And the 410 Sport for comparison:

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 17.12.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 17.13.07.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 17.13.18.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 17.13.34.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 17.13.48.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 17.13.57.png

Edited by SH

• Gold FFM

tough choice indeed   

both lovely colour combos 

both fantastic  nice cars ..  

• Like 1

10K to move to the 410 sport is little compared to making yours into a 410 sport, so man maths already wins.

Opinions on looks? Very personal, but I prefer the look and the interior of the 410. I might want to lose the stripe down the side to make it less 'brash' but that's about it.

Plus 2 isn't needed unless you have young kids. Manual vs IPS- again personal preference.

Go and drive the 410 and see how it feels.

(DON'T forget to take your cheque book) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you can get past the extra cost, the 410 really does look lovely. Yours is cool......but the 410 is cracking with all that carbon, has arguably a nicer rear end design and I personally love the 410 stripe😎 Might be down to how well you get on with the carbon seats compared to the leather ones in your car. I’ve got the carbon ones in my Exige and love them👍

• Like 1