Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Formula 1 2019 - May contain spoilers - Page 2 - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula 1 2019 - May contain spoilers

Chillidoggy

When you say dominance, I read budget. 

I think part of the issue there is only one team these days with the family name above it and that's Williams. (you could argue Ferrari) its just a money making exercise these days. the races are boring and the drivers are boring as they are all controlled by PR. I know its rose tinted, but the days of Hunt are long gone. Can you imagine his sort in the modern F1 world? Prefer British Touring Car if I catch it on the TV. 

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I agree, the wife actually fell asleep during the race. It’s now become a case of which Merc will win each race. Didn’t see what the attendance figures were, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if it wasn’t a capacity crowd. Sky must be looking for an exit.

I don't think it was the most boring, there a few contenders.  However, I actually think that in this instance the problem is the circuit - to be blunt, Paul Ricard is a shite circuit for action and racing. Sorry to any French members but it just is. End of.  

I'm also getting rather fed up with people going on about Mercedes dominance. Where the fook where you whinging lot when Red Bull won four in a row with Mr Boring Vettel and often had runaway 1 and 2 podiums? Why weren't Horner and Markel whinging like mad when they were winning?  F1 is littered with periods where a team was dominant for 3, 4 or 5 years. It's not as if this dominance is new news is it?

I think Lewis Hamilton has proven it is just not about the car and do I think he is much maligned, I mean FFS, even Jackie Stewart (whom I find very condescending and irritating when he is interviewed) seems to have a pop at him every week....

Ho hum, I'll still watch it on C4 highlights, but not prepared to pay to watch it on the TV. I've got three days at the Silverstone Historic coming up (Sat and Sun is VIP Hospitality) and the racing there will be anything but boring lol...  That's increasingly where my money will go. Hopefully next year get to Pau and Angouleme and SPA classic. Just got to convince the wife that these are the best places to celebrate our 25 years marriage together, otherwise she'll be lonely at home whilst I am away....

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

26 minutes ago, red vtec said:

When you say dominance, I read budget. 

I think part of the issue there is only one team these days with the family name above it and that's Williams. (you could argue Ferrari) its just a money making exercise these days. the races are boring and the drivers are boring as they are all controlled by PR. I know its rose tinted, but the days of Hunt are long gone. Can you imagine his sort in the modern F1 world? Prefer British Touring Car if I catch it on the TV. 

With you all the way with the exception of British Touring Car's which has now become the British Safety Car Championship. 

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I don't think it was the most boring, there a few contenders.  However, I actually think that in this instance the problem is the circuit - to be blunt, Paul Ricard is a shite circuit for action and racing. Sorry to any French members but it just is. End of.  

I'm also getting rather fed up with people going on about Mercedes dominance. Where the fook where you whinging lot when Red Bull won four in a row with Mr Boring Vettel and often had runaway 1 and 2 podiums? Why weren't Horner and Markel whinging like mad when they were winning?  F1 is littered with periods where a team was dominant for 3, 4 or 5 years. It's not as if this dominance is new news is it?

I think Lewis Hamilton has proven it is just not about the car and do I think he is much maligned, I mean FFS, even Jackie Stewart (whom I find very condescending and irritating when he is interviewed) seems to have a pop at him every week....

Ho hum, I'll still watch it on C4 highlights, but not prepared to pay to watch it on the TV. I've got three days at the Silverstone Historic coming up (Sat and Sun is VIP Hospitality) and the racing there will be anything but boring lol...  That's increasingly where my money will go. Hopefully next year get to Pau and Angouleme and SPA classic. Just got to convince the wife that these are the best places to celebrate our 25 years marriage together, otherwise she'll be lonely at home whilst I am away....

Oh, don’t you worry, us lot were still whinging when Red Bull were continually winning. We’re blokes, it’s our birthright, and a good whinge is better than sex these days.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Oh, don’t you worry, us lot were still whinging when Red Bull were continually winning. We’re blokes, it’s our birthright, and a good whinge is better than sex these days.

I only get the option of a good whinge these days! 

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

We don’t agree on everything, but have to say I have to agree with everything you have said in this post, totally agree with you about Jackie Stewart, personally don’t think Hamilton will great the credit he deserves until he as left the sport. Great post 👍

17 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

We don’t agree on everything, but have to say I have to agree with everything you have said in this post, totally agree with you about Jackie Stewart, personally don’t think Hamilton will great the credit he deserves until he as left the sport. Great post 👍

Steady on, you'll want a hug next! 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

• Haha 1

The small print.

Well, after the boring French G.P. we saw a cracking race from Austria!  Max working his way through the field after dropping back at the start, LeClerk (wasn't he in "Allo, allo"?), the midfiel battle and the stewards' enquiry.  Great entertainment.  Certainly had me glued to the box.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

it was a cracker...    whilst i did not want or think a penalty due , the stewards are utter hopeless..  rosberg got a 5s penalty for exactly the same doing to verstapen in germany 2016 google it..

and also same corner same track  on hamilton in 2016 ran him out and rosberg picked up another 5s penalty,, 

no consistency..  its so funny..  a few years back the FIA stood for ferrari international assistance.. i think with this years decisions have prooved that no longer is the case

mclaren showing much much better...  too....

Once again Mercedes have proved they can't run in traffic and why Hamilton wants to be on pole everytime.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

It’s been a long time since I’ve shouted at the telly from the sofa, and I’m pleased to say this was a welcome return to it. Liberty Media must be breathing a sigh of relief, but I doubt whether this kind of tension and excitement will continue for the remainder of the season. I sincerely hope it does, though!

Max Verstappen’s stock must surely now have risen to the point where he could take his pick of any drive in the future.

Margate Exotics.

• 7 months later...

If testing is anything to go by this year is going to more boring than last year . Could be a Mercedes 1 and 2 every race

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Well it was testing, not qualifying so it's difficult to know what each team was doing in terms of power unit settings, fuel loads, etc.  Mercedes have analysed the data and reckon that Ferrari had their engine turned down and the mid-field will be closer to the top 3 this year and the top 3 will be close to each other.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 2 months later...

This quote from Jos Verstappen did make me laugh. That guy just comes across to me as someone who is just arrogantly deluded.

Jos Verstappen says it is "nice" Formula 1 rivals Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel "get a bit nervous" when they see Max Verstappen hunting them down on track.

Does he not realise that the ONLY reason why they may "get a bit nervous" was because Max is often just so damned aggressive that if they did not give him space he would have them, and most likely himself, off and out of the race? There is a difference between racing to win the world championship and racing to win a single race and Max has not shown that he really understands the difference.  No doubt he is a talent behind the wheel, but it is not just being able to drive a car fast that makes a world champion, it is having the maturity, the judgement, presence of mind to make opportunities, take those opportunities and punish your rivals - and that last one is not by crashing them....

I don't watch F1 for the crashes, but when you do get two drivers going  flat out, wheel to wheel, racing very hard but with respect it is a joy to watch. Never really had that watching Max. Just my two cents.  Anyone who makes the same mistake, at the same corner, the first one, in two races at Spa is just dumb surely! That is why they get nervous.  And boy did he whinge like a whore who had not been paid when someone did it to him lol....

• Like 1

The small print.

I read an interview with Max last year where he was asked about his more aggressive approach to wheel to wheel racing than Lewis. He basically said that when you’re fighting for a championship you have to be more circumspect than when you’re not in the the championship battle but are in the fight for the race win. Wise words I thought.

I admit to being a fan of Max. I think he’s the most exciting talent to emerge since Lewis and his natural successor as the best in F1. Leclerc is clearly very good, but it’s too early to tell whether he’s great, or merely very good. Remember Ricciardo got the better of Vettel in his first season at RedBull but was then eclipsed by Verstappen.

i don't think verstappen will ever be a great champion. of course he'll win a couple of WDCs, maybe 4, but that will be it. I think his ego and his arrogance, but mostly his short fuse, will get the better of him.

I actually don't rate him in close battles, he wins because people give him room as they want to finish.  I think Leclerc is actually the better racer. I guess only time will tell.

• Like 1

The small print.

Since he won’t have the wall of orange fans to show off to this year, maybe he will be a little more cautious? I think we just have to be happy to have him in the mix for race wins and a bit of excitement. He’s no Bottas that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Since he won’t have the wall of orange fans to show off to this year, maybe he will be a little more cautious? I think we just have to be happy to have him in the mix for race wins and a bit of excitement. He’s no Bottas that’s for sure.

More like Crashtor in an orange t shirt. Of course he's good, but he built his reputation through the adoption of some dodgy driving but was "forgiven" because people thought he was young, and exciting, so it was OK. He didn't always pull it all off.

He'll be more like Button - exceptional car control, good wins, limited WDC success but no great champion. I could well be wrong and will be eating humble pie in a few years

• Like 1

The small print.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

At least humble pie isn't fattening😜

Depends if I put a whole can of squirty cream on it.

The small print.

I think Max is the most exciting and entertaining driver I’ve seen in a long time, and for me the best driver on the grid. He’s both aggressive and calculating, reminds me of Schumacher (whom I despised for his ‘dirty’ driving), and if Red Bull come up with a decent car then I can see him winning a WDC. LeClerc arrived on a wave of hype which he seems unable to really capitalise on, although he’s clearly a talented young chap.

All this is of course conjecture, but do hope F1 continues as it is the pinnacle of motorsport. As for that dreadful Formula E nonsense, you can shove it.

Margate Exotics.

58 minutes ago, Neal H said:

Formula E. It’s biggest problem is the noise - they sound like dentist drills, it’s quite disconcerting!

It's biggest problem is that the dickheads driving those cars just can't resist but turn every race into some sort of demolition derby. Any talentless bum can crash a car, thousands do each day. When I watch motorsport I want close, tight driving, with drivers pushing to the limit but exhibiting total control. At the pinnacle of every sport it is the people who are pushing the limit to new levels, following the rules, and dazzling with the skills that truly excite you. To me, Max would be a multiple world champ in Formula E as he would just barge about and push everyone out of the way. He got away with everything apart from murder when he "BURST" on the scene and he was given too much leeway.  But then I know I am in the minority as most people think he is "exciting"...   

I genuinely think Leclerc is a better driver in a worse car than Max. Imagine right now if Max was in a Ferrari and the excuses people would come up with. The Red Bull has always been a fantastically engineered car let down by the engine. Ferrari had a better engine for sure but it's chassis was crap.  Anyways, as I said, time will tell but I think Max is running out of it and is nowhere near living up to the hype.  Right, more wine.....

The small print.

14 hours ago, Neal H said:

Formula E. It’s biggest problem is the noise - they sound like dentist drills, it’s quite disconcerting!

It also the fact that they have to change cars when the triple A batteries expire! I can imagine them getting slower and slower as the charge runs out, with drivers ending up pushing the poxy things over the line to finish.

Margate Exotics.