Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I’m interested in buying this Esprit V8...... - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I’m interested in buying this Esprit V8......

THE PERSIAN

I’ve been out of a Lotus (Elise) for some time, and want to get back in one. Always liked the look of the last V8’s. 

Esprit that’s for sale

Does anyone know any history of this car, apart from historic MOT’s online. 

I know there has been some humours/chat in the past, about the company that’s selling it as well. 

So any advice would be great. 

Thanks, Pete. 

• Gold FFM

It looks very nice Peter, no mileage advertised so I'd be guessing it's high, those later OZ Novas and round rear lights have been retro-fitted, this car would have left the factory wearing the square Toyota lights and a set of OZ Saturn's, not a bad thing in my view but this isn't the final edition Esprit that, that price tag would suggest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

It looks very nice Peter, no mileage advertised so I'd be guessing it's high, those later OZ Novas and round rear lights have been retro-fitted, this car would have left the factory wearing the square Toyota lights and a set of OZ Saturn's, not a bad thing in my view but this isn't the final edition Esprit that, that price tag would suggest.

55,000 at last MOT, back in March 2018. Is it too much money in your opinion  ?  I haven’t see any last edition for sale, in a very long time. 

Who would be best to send to look at the car, for authenticity/appraise it?

Edited by THE PERSIAN

Well as long as you know it’s not an actual Final Edition model as stated above - if it’s as good as it looks in the photos, then I don’t see it as expensive for a 1999 V8 Esprit. And it does seem to be 1 of 1 in terms of colour specced for an SE. You’ll only know yourself, by going to see it 

• Like 2

I think all their stuff is top dollar so i think this is not quite what it may seem. Not an expert on V8’s though. My wife says im only an expert in talking shite. Could be good but dont handover any cash until you are sure. They are expensive to fix. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

You really need to have a look at it and test drive it. Even at retail prices bought with a warranty, that car needs to be immaculate inside and out (and most importantly underneath). I think its 5k overpriced. But you can take a look and haggle if you think it's the right car for you.

Personally, If I had a 40k budget and liked the final edition, i would hang on for an 02-04 car, they are rare but they are out there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I paid 30k for mine last July. A 98 V8 although had to spend close to 4-5k on full servicing. No problems to after 10 months of ownership.vintage-and-prestige.1529146374.67442.thumb.jpg.e3329c046b310f1aca356671fb317c1d.jpg

Now says sold on their website.

Cheers,

John W

• 2 weeks later...

With a V8, don't dick around - get one that's a known quantity through and through. You don't want to risk anything that rhymes with "Engine rebuild" because parts are becoming disturbingly scarce. I bought mine at the recommendation of a friend who had serviced it for years prior. I owned it for 4 years and didn't spend a penny other than regular servicing and a set of brake lines. It was rock solid. Amazing car. But I know of several people who have been significantly less lucky. 

Just minimize your risk as far as possible. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I agree , get it checked over at a place where they do all the checks including the hpi .... there are places that do a full check like an MOT and check all the geometry /  suspension.... If the seller doesnt agree then I would walk away.......