Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide! - Page 14 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide!

• 9 months later...

Any chance of this being revived?   

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I started reading through all of this but gave up after a few pages. The question I would have is does the proposed (stalled) upgrade get rid of the trunnions? If it did, and provided an adjustable front spring it would be worth reviving.

I dont think any upgrade is really of engineering value if the awful trunnions are still there.

Trunnions...crikey.....there was a bloke in the USA who was supposedly working with Canley's to make a trunnion free set up specifically for the Esprit. I hung around for years, but nothing came of it. I had read Hilly's account of his V8 modified Esprit with the 4.2 litre Audi motor, and he mentioned he had used the Canley Classics GT6 trunnion free kit on his car, so I bought one. Then it turned out that it needed some welding and modifications to fit the Esprit as there was a problem at either full bump or full rebound...can't remember which...and I was contacted by the American who told me that there would soon be a definitive answer.

But there isn't.

So I gave up and sold my kit to a chap with a GT6 on the forums for Freeman river cruisers...one of which I have, too!

SO...if you are hoping to get rid of the trunnions....don't hold your breath.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Damn trunnions!

The Lotus disease, "I am suffering from trunnions, I feel like they might cause me to collapse at any time without warning"

Trunnions...crikey.....there was a bloke in the USA who was supposedly working with Canley's to make a trunnion free set up specifically for the Esprit. I hung around for years, but nothing came of it. I had read Hilly's account of his V8 modified Esprit with the 4.2 litre Audi motor, and he mentioned he had used the Canley Classics GT6 trunnion free kit on his car, so I bought one. Then it turned out that it needed some welding and modifications to fit the Esprit as there was a problem at either full bump or full rebound...can't remember which...and I was contacted by the American who told me that there would soon be a definitive answer.

I think that must have been Bob Rickner Jr.: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/12256-1981-1985-s3turbo-esprit-suspension-upgrade/?p=364768

Also, between Brian Angus having retired and not being able to buy tires of the correct spec, I think this must be a dead issue.

Edited by Moxie

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• 3 weeks later...

I would be very interested if this ever came to fruition. Sounds like it's dead but here's my "I'm in" if it happens.

Is these trunnions a genuine problem?

Or is it a questionable design that do work, if proper maintained?

If they are trouble I would personally replace them as well, and not be concerned every time I go for a drive.

Must add that I have no previous experience with this setup, but about to replace mine as I do experience some shake and rattle between 70 - 90 kmh. Wheels are well balanced, but note a minor slack in the trunnions.

Lars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Gold FFM

So, now we have new ownership for Lotus and I would hope appropriate funding and an appreciation for the importance of the brand's heritage :sofa:, do we think there is any chance of getting this back off the ground? I seem to remember that the specification for the suspension was finalized using Gordon's car? It would be great to have new suspension available for the Esprit (especially for the front). In fact, is the post '85 suspension able to fitted to an early car? - I seemed to remember reading this somewhere? In the pictures on the SJ site, the dampers are shown without spring platforms attached?

The entire trunnion-free post-85 setup cant be fitted without major chassis mods.

As far as we know, the damper settings and sizes are the same though so the Lotus-Bilstein dampers should fit either setup. The lower spring platforms simply left off on the pre-85 setup.

Someone has fitted the post-85 standard Lotus shocks to a pre-85 car as well, by lathing-off the platform but cant remember who it was.

Andy Hills aka Hilly on these forums :)  He was also the first to fit the audi v8 in an esprit and also first to go trunnion free on the old pre 85 suspension by fitting the canley classics uprights, however the upright upgrade has folks on both sides of the fence with regards if it is a good upgrade or not :)

If yo do not know Andys work, you need to check his project thread, very talented bloke indeed :)

A

Its about time Lotus reduced the price of the Bilstein shocks which are over £500 per pair plus VAT. Its understandable that they had to recoup the development costs of this upggrade but I cant see many people buying these any more at this price. On the other hand if they reduced them and officially stated they fit the pre-85 cars there would likely be many takers.

The actual Bilstein shocks themselves in that size are about £70 each for other cars.

I mentioned on another thread somewhere that I contacted Bilstein about re-valving some shocks to the Lotus specs (which we have) and got down the road somewhat until the guy suddenly would not discuss it any more. I think he realised it would be infringing an agreement with Lotus.

Yes 500 is a lot of cash, but not for when it comes to suspension components,  a decent pair of  front avo ajustables and springs comes in at not far off 500 notes and these as you say have had no where near the level of testing that the lotus authorized shocks have had. 

A

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2017 at 09:44, skiing said:

Further to my post, according to LEW, the dampers can be used with earlier cars - http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/Lotus_Suspension.html Anyone have any experience of doing this?

@skiing have you made any progress with your suspension? I too will be looking to do something for my '81 Turbo and like the idea of the later adjustable height shocks. Anyone done the mod as per @hilly description on LEW? Hilly, still ok 10 years down the line?

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/Giugiaro_Suspension.html

• 8 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Resurrecting this - does anyone have experience of using the using the Lotus developed suspension in a pre-1985 car. I am fed up of the pro-tec's on my car on the front and think the Lotus damper used with original Lotus spring could be a way forward. Although the damper are crazy expensive... 

I keep thinking about doing this but never pulled the trigger. It seems to me there is only any point in doing it if front/rear are done. This is around £1000 for 4 shocks.

These shocks are standard Bilsteins which usually cost £70 each but they of course have special settings which Lotus developed as part of the upgrade programme. I understand perfectly that they had to recoup the investment they put into this, but I still think this is a pretty high price.

My 85 turbo project is currently on hold due tax registration reason.

However, my intention is to reinforce the lower a-arm (or fabricate a new one) and use the post 85 damper/spring program.

Done with Pro-tech!

Lars