Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
OEM Chargecooler Wanted - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

OEM Chargecooler Wanted

Improbably, the intercooler on my '94 S4 is leaking. I'm told by many who know better that this just never happens, but I've discovered coolant inside the plenum of my car (along with drippings on the side of the block). The coolant manifests itself under higher rpm's and boost, so my suspicion was that as the pump increases speed/flow/pressure....leakage occurs.   Sure enough, upon removing the chargecooler, filling the 'intake' side with water and applying air pressure to the 'coolant' side of the chargecooler, bubbles appeared.  There's no repairing these chargecoolers from what I understand. 

I am in need of an OEM chargecooler in the event someone has one or knows where to source one. Seeking to keep the car original, I'm really not interested in an aftermarket unit unless I have no choice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

hi - i have one here in NZ ..... its from an S4S so not 100% stock for your S4 ..... text me or watsapp +64210519518  

The picture attached is an example - i can send more pictures if needed.

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Heard from Alistair today, and as it turns-out, his chargecooler had the same issue. Alistair was kind enough to have the unit pressure tested, and there was leakage into the intake side of the chargecooler. It makes me wonder how many other chargecooled cars have the same issue and owners are unaware of it?  Monitor your chargecooler coolant reservoir carefully and if you are refilling it periodically, you likely have a leaker.

I'm awaiting word from Pete at PNM as they are able to rebuild/re-core the OEM chargecooler.  There's a bit of a delay on new cores, but if this does not work-out, I will abandon my intent to remain as OE and go to an Alunox chargecooler (if they are still available).

The truly bad news is that the Esprit has sat for the past 2 months in the garage....

Bob

• Sad 1

Yeah maybe go aftermarket and keep an eye out for an OE CC.  Easy to change back and a good market for used aftermarket CC.  Wont lose much money and get it on the road before the snow comes....I hear that is an issue I would not know 🙂

Right now its over 100 everyday with the heat index - no driving for me.  Fall Winter spring are my time

Thanks, Chris! I'll stand by.

However, I did speak with Pete at PNM today. We spoke at length which is a first with the normally busy Pete.  Turns out that in recent weeks, he underwent the removal of a few gall stones, and subsequently the removal of his gall bladder. I caught him at the office sequestered at his desk chair under strict orders to not do any work....thus, our speaking at length.  He hopes/intends to be back in the flow within a week, at which time he'll address the chargecooler refit.  Fingers are crossed.

So, Chris, in the event that Pete doesn't come through, I'm atop your list.

Bob

On 28/06/2019 at 22:56, Robert Weber said:

Improbably, the intercooler on my '94 S4 is leaking. I'm told by many who know better that this just never happens, but I've discovered coolant inside the plenum of my car (along with drippings on the side of the block). The coolant manifests itself under higher rpm's and boost, so my suspicion was that as the pump increases speed/flow/pressure....leakage occurs.   Sure enough, upon removing the chargecooler, filling the 'intake' side with water and applying air pressure to the 'coolant' side of the chargecooler, bubbles appeared.  There's no repairing these chargecoolers from what I understand. 

I am in need of an OEM chargecooler in the event someone has one or knows where to source one. Seeking to keep the car original, I'm really not interested in an aftermarket unit unless I have no choice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Bob

Bob,

Since Alunox is very heavy and overpriced, you'd be much better to contact those chaps, they've made a great c/cooler for my friend. Just fabulous!

MrDangerUS

https://ahfabrications.co/store/intercoolers/intercoolers-intercoolers/water-cooled-universal-intercooler/

Just when I think I have seen every vendor.  Thanks Mr. D

I wonder if they can do the above product in a configuration that would fit the Esprit mount for that price?  Lovely fabricating!

Bob did you see the US made option?  Cheaper shipping for sure.

2 hours ago, Erikl said:

https://ahfabrications.co/store/intercoolers/intercoolers-intercoolers/water-cooled-universal-intercooler/

Just when I think I have seen every vendor.  Thanks Mr. D

I wonder if they can do the above product in a configuration that would fit the Esprit mount for that price?  Lovely fabricating!

Bob did you see the US made option?  Cheaper shipping for sure.

A:

That's what they made for Esprit.

B@d@ss!

charge cooler upgrade 002.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 2

MrDangerUS

• 2 months later...

After months of search, and 2 gracious offers of chargecoolers that proved to have the very same leakage issue as does my OE unit, I've landed one via Geoff at Esprit Engineering In Wilshire!  It was removed years ago from a virtually new S4s. It's really hard to imagine that a piece this critical to the operation of our cars is just no longer available....anywhere!

I spoke with Jay at JAE and they have one which they paid a tidy sum for it. Our only option is aftermarket. 

My suspicion is that I'm not alone with this issue.  If you are topping-up your chargecooler overflow tank, you likely have a leaking chargecooler. 

I tried contacting Behr on the availability of cores for refabricated coolers, but received no answer. 

Bob

3 hours ago, Robert Weber said:

My suspicion is that I'm not alone with this issue.  If you are topping-up your chargecooler overflow tank, you likely have a leaking chargecooler. 

Maybe we should consider it built in water injection?...

• Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

4 hours ago, ben mk2 said:

There is a new group buy running with Alunox that includes two charge cooler options if that's of any interest to anyone? 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/103598-any-chance-of-new-group-buy-from-alunox-headers/?tab=comments#comment-861892

I checked with Alunox a few times, and the only offering they had was the larger charge cooler offered at a substantial price lift over the previous group buy...actually, nearly double!  No mention was made of offering a unit closer in spec to our OEM charge coolers. My concern over the larger unit was the need to modify the engine cover. 

Oh well....