Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carbon Side Scoops - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Carbon Side Scoops

2 hours ago, NANO said:

@Alias23: have you put in front or foresee to put a fine net / grid that shelters from possible stones or other material ?

Im not a fan of mesh if I'm honest, I just don't like the look of it, hence why I've gone this route vs say the WinAce items. That open aperture of the scoop just looks cool so im keen to not hide it with front facing mesh.

However, I do feel protection is required, mesh will be used at the rear of the scoop. 

On the intake side, I'm getting a round mesh frame made (example below), this will sit into the OEM intake elbow (red circle). The intake elbow is taken off the OEM scoops and re-attached to the carbon scoop as part of the install process.

1142983032_scoop2.jpg.9f39e3e58c3c79edb7c7d5e3a26f85ae.jpg

As the mesh is on the inside of the intake elbow it makes it both compatible with folks running a standard OEM airbox as well as those running KT or alias23 intake. The mesh will not be visible but I'll likely get it anodised black to satisfy my OCD.

On the other side of the car the rear mesh if you look into the scoop is 'just' visible, so ill be looking to use anodised black mesh (example below) which will be bonded into place.

expanded-aluminum-mesh-grille-1.jpg.a0675935563ad0ff137319641f51ac7e.jpg

Thanks to those who've ordered. I'll be looking to complete final numbers over the weekend and ordering with the supplier Monday. 

scoop.jpg

• Thanks 1

www.alias23.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ordered👍

Completely shitting myself  when it comes to fitment😬....... so a total-idiots guide installation instructions will be more than appreciated😉

Over the weekend I managed to get a little work done on test fitting the mesh discs on the intake side of the car. I tried two sizes to be safe and found the one size fitted perfectly inside the OEM intake elbow which is retained and connected to the back of the carbon scoops. The idea behind using a fabricated mesh disc is to keep the install simple and clean whilst also allowing the scoops to be used regardless of if using an aftermarket intake or OEM airbox. Have to say im very happy with the test fit.

IMG_6118w.jpg.a08e30f8400654b203167e43b8fedd3f.jpg

The disc is pretty tight on fitment but will be further secured using a jubilee clip around the outside of the intake elbow.

IMG_3433w.jpg.8b309c49cd87b89462e0fcef4eefa7b3.jpg

Forgive the dirty car! This is the view when you get your head into the scoop and look up ... not that any normal person does this haha

The discs are fabricated from stainless steel so my original plan of anodising black is not going to work. Thanks @GFWilliams for the reminder... so im going to get them powder coated black. Really happy how the kit is coming on :)

• Like 2

www.alias23.com

Above and beyond Imran👌 - as someone who’s ordered and looking forward to seeing the new Alias23 scoops, thank you for all your efforts!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

@alias23, I remember on the Esprit that a 1mm wire in a 3mm mesh cut airflow by 40% according to Dermot, who knew his Esprit and was an Oxford Don. Have you measured the effect this has on the airflow? 

This is his very old and neglected webspace, he's a clever guy and being the Head of Inorganic Chemistry to used to make his own fuel for a better stoichiometric flame speed and all sorts. Very much the analyst.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ohare/ancillaries.htm

• Confused 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

It is a fairly basic math that is needed to understand what opening with what flow speed is sufficient for the engine (displacement+compression+desired AFR+max RPMs will give you what the demand is; clear area of the most restrictive part of the intake+airflow speed will give you the supply; then you only need to make sure that supply is not less then demand at any point in time). I somehow think that airflow is not a restriction on the vast majority of the forced induction cars, and the only difference that fiddling with air intake makes is uncontrolled change of the AFR.

Edited by vd9

I wouldn't even think twice as long as the remaining open area is larger than the throttle opening, which it certainly looks to be. Further the entire scoop is a forced air compression chamber, which is its entire purpose.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Guys I was ushered into hospital last night and just got home so a little whacked. All fine just need to recover when I’ll post a mini update on the mesh thinking after looking over a 430.

www.alias23.com