Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is my Oil pressure too high - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is my Oil pressure too high

alzmoore

After 5 years my 1989 SE turbo project now has an MoT and is actually on the road...!!! ...However, panic set in when I got the dreaded flickering oil pressure light and low/zero reading on the guage at idle and flickering lights on gear changes once it got warm.  I have removed the sensor and fitted a temporary manual gauge and am very relieved to find 60psi at idle when cold which drops to just under 30 when hot.  At 3500 I get about 50 psi (hot).  Because I suffer from extreme Lotus anxiety, I'm now wondering if that is too high as it seems to be well above the manaul spec?

I guess i obviously need a new sender unit.  Any recommendations?.

many thanks

Alan

ERR .. No that's definitely not to high ..   in fact it about how they are to be fair ..   On the SE you should have a drop out relay that stops the warning light coming on below 1500 RPM  So that needs looking at also .. I would expect you have a corrupted signal between the two sensors within the one unit..   Its not unusual to see low oil pressure at tick over hence the drop out relay to stop the light coming on ..    30 PSI at tick when hot is quite presentable , I would prefer to see 60 psi from 2000 rpm up  when hot..  But with an engine of age its not bad as they go..      Fix the gauge stop worrying and enjoy the Esprit experience..   :driving:      

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alzmoore said:

After 5 years my 1989 SE turbo project now has an MoT and is actually on the road...!!! ...However, panic set in when I got the dreaded flickering oil pressure light and low/zero reading on the guage at idle and flickering lights on gear changes once it got warm.  I have removed the sensor and fitted a temporary manual gauge and am very relieved to find 60psi at idle when cold which drops to just under 30 when hot.  At 3500 I get about 50 psi (hot).  Because I suffer from extreme Lotus anxiety, I'm now wondering if that is too high as it seems to be well above the manaul spec?

I guess i obviously need a new sender unit.  Any recommendations?.

many thanks

Alan

Just what the Dr ordered

FYI the sender (if you need one) is a Lotus specific part at about £80 I think from SJ. Trust me, I tried to find an alternative but couldn't. To do with the specific limits on the tell tale light I think...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

On 16/08/2019 at 08:27, alzmoore said:

Many thanks Dave.  I never seemed to get anxious before I had a Lotus........

It's not the Lotus, is it?😉

after i rebuilt the engine I logged the following

oil pressure idle 3500 rpm    
cold 60 60 20w-50  
hot 40 60 10w-40  
hot 30 60 10w-40 6k miles

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND