Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elise Cup 250 - Exhaust too loud for track? - Page 3 - Elise / Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elise Cup 250 - Exhaust too loud for track?

TonyKL

18 minutes ago, TonyKL said:

Damn it, I’ve been talking myself out of a cup and keeping my exige, this doesn’t help. 

what carbon mods do you have ?

Lol, it's difficult isn't it?  I've had two V6 Exiges before the 250, I prefer driving the 250 on the Peak District twisties all around my home BUT I'm forever looking at the Exige S3 listings on PH - it's an obsession! If I swapped back to a V6 I know I would immediately be hankering after my 250 again, and so it continues.

We should just agree to swap cars on a monthly basis or something :)

Not really mods tbh, I have the carbon pack (splitter, barge boards, spoiler, diffuser) and I added the carbon roll bar cover myself. The carbon is beautiful, I would love to finish off the car with carbon front and rear hatches but the cost is ridiculous.

9 hours ago, duncx said:

Not really mods tbh, I have the carbon pack (splitter, barge boards, spoiler, diffuser) and I added the carbon roll bar cover myself. The carbon is beautiful, I would love to finish off the car with carbon front and rear hatches but the cost is ridiculous.

Yes they are very expensive.  I like the idea of carbon sills and heating surrounds just to make the cockpit feel different.  But the external carbon is very nice, little worried on how much it lasts.

10 hours ago, TonyKL said:

Damn it, I’ve been talking myself out of a cup and keeping my exige, this doesn’t help. 

Looks as though your only solution is to have both :yes:

3 hours ago, PaulCP said:

Looks as though your only solution is to have both :yes:

Don’t joke, I am considering storing my exige for a year whilst I play with an Elise cup! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Last weekend I drove (on open twisty roads) an Exige 350 sport and a Elise cup 250.

I directly prefered the Elise. Which surprised me because I through the Exige would be a better car.  I really liked the steering feel and absence of weight of the Elise. It was also more playfull( I didn't recall it was particularly loud, so I am surprised by the 103db standing measures).

The thing is that I will only use on it track (to replace my current Porsche 997 Carrera S), and I don't know if the relative lack of power of the Elise will be a problem...

I have a feeling that the Elise in its cup version is a better car, but the performance of the Exige can be addictive (which you cannot really experience on open roads)...

At first I thought I was crazy to prefere the Elise, but I see other people having the same "problem", so I am reassured, ahaha.

I still don't which one to choose...

Driving them on track would probably help to make a choice, but this is unfortunatly hard to do.

HI all. First post but have been reading as much as I can on this forum as I learn more about Lotus. I found myself in similar position with regards to the V6 vs CUP250. I will prodominately use the car on track and the the lower running costs and lighter weight of the 250 has led me to conclude that the 250 is the one for me. I came across this thread and thought it was strange the 250 may be flagged for noise as they dosnt seen loud at all and one of its appeals is that im hoping that I can use on all UK tracks with no sound issues. I'm undecided if I want an older cup250 eith the added aero or the newer 250s with the great open shifter. Not that much difference in prices either. In regards to noise I'm intrigued if there was any exhaust changes in the my17.5 model.

Search continues for the right car at the right price but in pretty close to decideming and joint the fold.

Yes, there was a change of exhaust with my17.5 (the face lift). It is louder and sounds much better, in fact for a 4cyl it sounds superb. All I can vouch for is that it was fine at Hethel, Snetterton  and Silverstone. There’s no way the 103 dB on the V5 can be correct, that’s ridiculously loud which the car certainly isn’t.

Having started this thread and since driven a new 250 cup I can’t see it being a problem in track. I’m still unsure whether to fit a larger fuel tank to my v6 or get a cup for a year and store my v6. If I’m buying one for a year it wouldn’t be a new one - I was considering buying a new 250 as a keeper. 

no decision made yet. 

edit: they are both great cars 

Edited by TonyKL

I have a March 2019 build 250, the V5 shows 103db and now have >6000 miles on the clock.

It is louder than my S2 Exige with 2Bular and especially noticeable when cold

Edited by sjw

2 hours ago, sjw said:

I have a March 2019 build 250, the V5 shows 103db and now have >6000 miles on the clock.

It is louder than my S2 Exige with 2Bular and especially noticeable when cold

Thanks for some insider knowledge. Do you track the car often? If so, has it been a problem??

• 2 months later...

Regarding "exhaust being too loud for track?" My 2019 250 Cup registered 96dbs static at Goodwood yesterday. I was not flagged at all for noise, but it was a 105db day. Yes, the V5 does say 103dbs, which is clearly incorrect. 

D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi and welcome Nick - Might be worth a call in advance nowadays but in the past 'Noisy Bob' wouldn't mind you turning up at the furthest garage at Brands for a test when you weren't booked in for the day. Obvs this was only on public trackdays when he'd be there with his meter. :)

Other than that, most smartphone mics are high enough quality nowadays for you to measure it yourself with a free dB meter app. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 2 weeks later...

OEM 250 Cup (MY19) no issue at Zolder here and they are super strict. My friend his 250 with just a 2bular backbox got black flagged there. Limit is 98dB if I recall.

I really don't get people saying it is loud. I burnt through my cat though and fitted a larini decat replacement pipe in the meanwhile, now it has a bit more grunt. It also backfires really hard at the rev limit. Very enjoyable on the limit hehe.

• Haha 1