Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Your neighbours - Page 3 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Your neighbours

LotusLeftLotusRight

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

On numerous occasions I have deployed my large trolley jack to resolve issues like this.  Possibly unwise and I don't recommend it, but a most satisfying and expedient solution.  And the jack handle is a nice deterrent.

Learnt from your neighbours

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Back in the late 90s we used to get the father of the neighbour to our workshop park on the double yellows totally blocking access to our yard. Would wave his disabled permit and say he can park where he wants!!!!   After 5 or 6 times we started bumping the backend  round and pointing it at the kerb.     Nice and easy with 2 of us and a fiat uno.       Not sure you could do it now with the weight of todays cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mdw said:

Back in the late 90s we used to get the father of the neighbour to our workshop park on the double yellows totally blocking access to our yard. Would wave his disabled permit and say he can park where he wants!!!!   After 5 or 6 times we started bumping the backend  round and pointing it at the kerb.     Nice and easy with 2 of us and a fiat uno.       Not sure you could do it now with the weight of todays cars.

Go-jacks, job done.

Just tell the Granny to go out for the day put the black bin by their car and have a bonfire in it whilst screaming at sone non existent scoundrels to fook off!

Then when they see their knackered mini just say "so glad Granny was out as you park your car so close hers would have been toast too!"

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

@LotusLeftLotusRight it seems like I found out where your Millennial neighbours may have been!

Millennial twats on the left - the mess the selfish twats left behind on the right.  I sometimes think the Police should have a special "Twat Squad" were they go in and target selfish groups like these and administer some short, sharp, punishment with rubber batons! I also think their faces (blanked out on the left) should be blown up and shown to the world so we can all see if we recognise any of them and they get shamed for the twats they are. I need to stop reading the Guardian, I'm getting way to militant these days.

image.png.98eb2440d7ab33d6c0a9bfd13f0f873c.png

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Well you’ve got to hand it to Millennial Couple. They’re ahead of the game. They had been away for a couple of days and returned yesterday with a boot full of suitcases and one of their 60-something Dads in toe. He now seems to be living with them! All I can suggest is that they needed a light bulb changing, so they felt it necessary to ignore the lockdown rules yet again. Unbelievable.

• Haha 2

On 23/05/2020 at 16:23, pete said:

That's not the same lake in those 2 pictures

How do you know that Sherlock?  

Look at the two trees from the different angles. It's the same.

image.png.f3cf3170324eb0f3319097e73328ff5f.png

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I live next to a lovely country house estate (Cubberley House in Hom Green, Ross-on-Wye). There's a public footpath that runs through that 92 acre estate, that's on the definitive map. It's a lovely route that goes from Wilton Bridge in Ross-on-Wye south west to the hamlet of Hom Green. Enjoyed by walkers and runners alike. Where the footpath runs through that estate it is well signed and fenced, where it crosses the drive of the estate there are a couple of metal spiked gates. There are also stiles at the entrance and exit of the ~0.25 mile stretch of the footpath through that private land.

A couple of years ago a couple purchased the estate. Last year they zip tied shut the metal gates passing the drive. After receiving a notice from the council they removed those ties.

2 weeks ago they did the following:

• Removed all stiles from the foot path and replaced them with 6 foot high fence segments
  • Barbed wire shut the 2 gates
  • Completely removed a well made footpath bridge over a stream

Last week they:

• Welded shut the metal gates
  • Replaced the stile replaced fences with boards
  • Put up 'keep out due to Coronavirus' signs

Suffice to say Ross-on-Wye social media groups are up in arms. Following due process the council has been made aware and a contravention of the highways act notice has been served on the land owner.

Public rights of way in the UK have been hard fought over and are well defended by law. However with the county council so underfunded, and the contractor (Balfour Beatty) overstretched as it is, covering also pot hole and other highway maintenance obligations, likely this issue will not be resolved for some time.

Both within legal rights, and also compelling to consider, one could remove the obstructions to ensure public right of access. However if the council removed and replaced these obstructions, the land owner would be billed for time+materials.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the blatant disregard of the law being exhibited. The Coronavirus reason is just an excuse, the house is a long way from the footpath and if anything, following DEFRA's advise, all gates on the footpath should be tied open to ensure no one has to touch them. Spending £4M on a country pad does not grant anyone the right to ride roughshod over the laws of this country.

It will be resolved in time, I'm sure. But in cases like these the authorities don't seem to have the teeth to ensure it's resolved quickly and that it won't happen again. 

image.png.5e7d85462b0186ce1e8b5bc8e98e6f0c.png  

• Gold FFM

If the council removed and repaired the obstruction, they'd bill the land owner for time+materials. Despite the fact that the land owner could easily afford that, it would be gratifying. Also, if they subsequently remove the repairs the council had made, I'm assuming they'd be in a better position to be charged.

But by god, I'm tempted to go up there with chainsaw and angle grinder... :( 

There was recently a mass-participation project by the Ramblers' Association (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) with the aim of trying to find lost public footpaths and get them reinstated. Basically it was a website where you could compare detailed OS maps from around 100 years ago with ones from today, and mark any paths that have mysteriously disappeared in the intervening years. I did a few areas and got the impression that the biggest culprits for closing up rights of way were not new housing estates, industry, motorways or hastily constructed WW2 airfields, but large country estates. Virtually every stately home I looked at had done a land grab. People with money and influence have been doing this for years. Naughty.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Bit of diesel, but of fertiliser, lots of boom. :whistle:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Isn't the recipe for Semtex still on the interweb?  Would only need a small handful and vavaboom!  Problem gone.  However, maybe best to leave to the local authority to "open up" that way you'll be out of prison and able to enjoy the new found access!

• Haha 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I’d highly suggest after lockdown - that you publish this all over social media and get hoards of ramblers bumbling around. You could even set up a small cider stall at the end of the drive to help matters 😂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
On 01/06/2020 at 06:22, RichardC said:

There was recently a mass-participation project by the Ramblers' Association (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) with the aim of trying to find lost public footpaths and get them reinstated. Basically it was a website where you could compare detailed OS maps from around 100 years ago with ones from today, and mark any paths that have mysteriously disappeared in the intervening years. I did a few areas and got the impression that the biggest culprits for closing up rights of way were not new housing estates, industry, motorways or hastily constructed WW2 airfields, but large country estates. Virtually every stately home I looked at had done a land grab. People with money and influence have been doing this for years. Naughty.

They've got until 2026 to identify any undocumented historic rights of way. That's estimated at about 2 submissions for rights of way per week for the next 6 years. Then the lovely government and all its cronies can put nice big walls around their country estates.

On 01/06/2020 at 01:07, Bibs said:

Barbed wire? WTF? What about their duty of care for people on their land? That sounds downright malicious to me! 

Malicious, mean minded, illegal, disrespectful and a disgusting 2 fingers up at the rights of the public. They've also now employed a security agency to patrol the footpath. Never been very motivated to protest, thinking of being a bit more activist for this issue.

Closing up a right of way is hardly a land grab as I am assuming they actually "owned" the land already, it was the access to it that they were closing.  

Also, it's not just the gentry (that you guys are obviously referring to) there are landowners ranging from householders, to builders, to the church and others who are all hastily trying to remove all signs and privileges around "access". So if we're going to rant about it let's rant about it in general and not infer it is this government etc. Successive governments have, as usual, failed to deal with details like this from all sides.

Also, I can see it fro the other side to. I live in a very rural area and my land joins on to a very well established and world renowned shooting estate. It's a fully working estate with gamekeepers, duck flights, pheasant shooting, deer stalking and farming, mostly arable. Up here in Scottyland we have the right to roam acts. Basically the SNP and Greens hate anything to do with the game industry (cos it's all toffs in't it!) and these acts were as much about inconveniencing the land owners as they were about providing a right to roam in my opinion.

You would not believe what liberties the public would and does take on other peoples land. The piss taking is obscene. The damage costs thousands each year to put right. Yadda yadda yadda.  For every law abiding and responsible Rambler or dog walker, you get at least an equivalent number of scumbags, twats, dicks and piss takers.  You need to bear that in mind and that's before you look at the cunts who fly tip etc.

So, whilst I don't agree with the rights of way being blocked, I can understand that there are some who are selfish, self righteous pricks who just want to exert their power, but then there are others who just want to crack on, earn a living and not have to deal with a bunch of tossers.

A coin has two sides, as usually does a situation like this.

The small print.

55 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

So, whilst I don't agree with the rights of way being blocked, I can understand that there are some who are selfish, self righteous pricks who just want to exert their power, but then there are others who just want to crack on, earn a living and not have to deal with a bunch of tossers.

They would have known and been informed there was a right of way when they bought the property - there is no excuse to blocking it, should they wish to limit people deviating from the route they are entitled to fence the right of way as long as they leave a 6ft/2m (IIRC) for people to walk along.

This is a right people should fight for (and this is coming from someone who has a Right of way across his land) but they should also respect otherwise they will end up walking down fenced corridors as some of our neighbours have erected.