Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 32 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

I updated my MX2E to 02.34.75 a few weeks back and then the speedo stopped working.  Aim released 02.34.76 which according to the notes fixes this.  For some reason my car won't update to it though, it either crashes during the upload process, or gets to 97% then screen goes blue and says firmware upgrade briefly, then goes to configuration update, and then boots up back to the 02.34.75 version :(

Anyone had this?  or can anyone send me the zip file or a link where I can find it from the firmware directory on their race studio for 02.34.66 which I think is the previous release?

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Edited by JohnnyMiller1000

My rev counter only gets to around 6,500-6,600rpm before the engine hits the limiter. It should rev to 6,800rpm according to the manual (even though the red line is at 7,000rpm!).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Strangely, the shift lights seem accurate, in that they are all on and flashing when it hits the limiter. But I'm only pulling 6,500rpm at this point.

It makes no difference if I'm in tour/sport/race/off mode.

I can’t help directly, but do have a couple of thoughts which might help narrow down the issue. 

Which Final Edition have you got? (390/420/430?)

I am making an assumption here that the rev limits on all three models are the same as my 410, so this may not be correct and I’m about to type a load of rubbish.

On my car, the rev limit in normal (tour) mode is 6600rpm. That would tie up with what you’re seeing when you hit the limiter. 

If I select sport or race mode, the rev limit increases to 7000rpm. 

Do you see any physical change in rev limit when you select sport or race mode? 

If there is no difference, I wonder if the problem is actually related to the modes not working correctly, rather than the rev counter being inaccurate?

I assume that the dash shows that you are in Sport or Race mode when you press those buttons?

The other thing you could do to confirm that the rev counter is accurate is connect a basic OBD reader which shows live data. You can cross check the rpm value on the OBD reader with the value on the AIM dash. 

I just looked at my track data again, I'm hitting 6800-7000 rpm regularly in Sport mode. I know Tour is a bit toned down, limiter is probably in the range you are noticing it kicking it in ~6600. Which mode are you testing in?

The shift lights are really stupidly setup. The come on almost at same time way too late, I would love it if Lotus gives us way to adjust them, like people can on AiM branded dashes.

Edit: I'm driving 390

Edited by Inversed
  • Like 1

I'm glad you are getting it sorted and there is also some interesting news for FE dash owners. Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to FE dash upgrade if possible, I really want rear camera and few updates to shift lights would be welcome.

6 hours ago, Martrack said:

Did they tell you what's the difference between GPS09 gen A and gen B ?

No idea sorry, it was a whole new circuit board.  Release notes for dash firmware.

180689273_Screenshot2022-03-20at13_10_29.thumb.png.5c68a18b7a0abff9d437a7ebbefda307.png

5 hours ago, Inversed said:

I'm glad you are getting it sorted and there is also some interesting news for FE dash owners. Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to FE dash upgrade if possible, I really want rear camera and few updates to shift lights would be welcome.

Thanks, they have no idea when the update/upgrade will be available but the more people who ask them for it I guess the sooner it happens - unless there is some license issues with Lotus?  They seemed to suggest is was not anytime soon which is why I went for the old GPS module.

Edited by TonyKL

2 hours ago, CocoPops said:

We need to petition AiM via @Seriouslylotusto start developing new software for it

Somebody needs to finance this. It's Lotus which should support their products for decent time after shipping them. Shouldn't forget about their customers. What message is Lotus sending to future Lotus owners if they never update the software...

AiM shouldn't be blamed for this, dash is Lotus product, no matter which company actually coded it and provides it.

Or... AIM would be selling software updates for the FE dash. I would buy it in case updates are cheaper than the... let me think... 50% of the AIM dash price. Otherwise just forget about it and get the AIM dash.

On 20/03/2022 at 21:12, Paul_D said:

I can’t help directly, but do have a couple of thoughts which might help narrow down the issue. 

Which Final Edition have you got? (390/420/430?)

I am making an assumption here that the rev limits on all three models are the same as my 410, so this may not be correct and I’m about to type a load of rubbish.

On my car, the rev limit in normal (tour) mode is 6600rpm. That would tie up with what you’re seeing when you hit the limiter. 

If I select sport or race mode, the rev limit increases to 7000rpm. 

Do you see any physical change in rev limit when you select sport or race mode? 

If there is no difference, I wonder if the problem is actually related to the modes not working correctly, rather than the rev counter being inaccurate?

I assume that the dash shows that you are in Sport or Race mode when you press those buttons?

The other thing you could do to confirm that the rev counter is accurate is connect a basic OBD reader which shows live data. You can cross check the rpm value on the OBD reader with the value on the AIM dash. 

Thanks for that info Paul.

I'm in a 420FE.

I thought the different rev limits in different modes was a thing of the past, perhaps in 410's or whatever. The owners manual states that for 390FE/420FE the rev limit is 6,800rpm for all modes. For the 350 Sport, it is 6,400 (tour), and 7,000 (sport, race and off).

When I tested last i was in tour mode, because the previous test I confirmed that there was no difference between tour and sport. But @Inversed is experiencing different behaviour to me (thanks for the info mate) so now i will do another test, in all modes, to make sure I'm being accurate in what I'm saying. I will check next time I'm out and report back!

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to ask Aim technical support in Italy what the likelihood of a firmware upgrade for the MX Lotus dash was...

Here's the reply:

Hello Rob,
this dash is produced under the manufacturer's specifications, and it doesn't support all of the functions that we provide on the aftermarket MX2E, both sold with Lotus and AiM brands.
For any enquiry relevant to this OEM dash, the appropriate addressee is Lotus cars, despite I suppose they do not plan to have updates for such a unit.

Regards,
Stefano D'Andria
Technical Support

AiM TECH Srl
Via Cavalcanti, 8
20063 Cernusco Sul Naviglio
Milano - Italy, 8

So that's a bit of a bugger... but they clearly want you to buy their MX2E dash instead - makes perfect business sense.

Next email will be to Lotus themselves...

Edited by stevensr34
  • Like 1

I'm seeing this topic a little later. 

I ordered a GPS09 module to AIM UK but it does not work with my MXLOTUS dash

I asked AIM but they have no more old version in stock. 

No update is scheduled 😔

So they advised my to upgrade to a MX2E 🙃🙃

• Haha 1

Which I think is not right.

they really need to take on the updates and give us the functionality we were promised.

• Like 2

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

On 20/03/2022 at 06:57, Martrack said:

Good news, and interesting info, many thanks !

Did they tell you what's the difference between GPS09 gen A and gen B ?
Would be interesting to know.

Thank you again !

The chip set is different, apparently an updated version due to supply issues, hence the need to update firmware

Edited by Seriouslylotus
  • Thanks 1

My answer to AIM :

"I bought a FINAL Edition because of your dash.

And I already bought you a MX2E which is simply renamed MXLOTUS

I think all Final Edition buyers deserve this update.
We all thank AIM to bring new solution to our Lotus and we will continue to support the company by buying your products in the future.
But I prefer buying a Smartycam instead of a MX2E I already have"

Waiting for their answer... 
  • Like 1

Thing is, I’d even pay a sensible amount to add the reverse camera and other functionality.

• Like 2

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

44 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Still nothing on a more realistic rev range either 😖

I still can’t believe that this was never a customisable option on the display. 

Even if there were just two options, with the ability to select 7250rpm as the alternative. 

In digital mode there’s a huge portion of the screen unused in the V6 cars. 

• Like 1

Reply from AIM

"Yann,

The dash was built to Lotus design and manufactured to their design by ourselves, the item is a Lotus product we can’t offer an update.

Our Dash has a different software version installed, and is a separate product. The SmartyCam is also a great product and many owners are happy with the features it adds to their vehicle.

Regards,

Carl"

LMAO !!!!!

So guys we will never have an update to make it work 🤬

• Sad 2