Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 29 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Hi Tony as far as i know u can fit either spoiler to your car. Have seen plenty of the newer type spoiler on the S1. My S1 spoiler is fitted with 3 m6 bolts but the newer spoiler looks like it would need more. The S2 spoiler apparently  has  better efficiency and downforce but is a bit more expensive. According to many books the original spoiler is very efficient compared to not having anything at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The S2 spoiler is a more robust unit and I think I'd fit that one if originality was not a concern. 

The S1 spoiler is easily damaged if the car is used in adverse road conditions like snow (when it builds in the middle track), but that's an unlikely situation with the use our cars will get nearly 50 years on. 

Tony 

I was given an S2 spoiler to fit on my S1 Eclat.

At the time (25 years ago!) I wasn't too bothered about originality , -just wanted efficiency.

I had to do a bit of butchery because the 2 side 'arms' stuck out beyond the line of the body. 

So it wasn't a case of get it, then fit it. I don't know where is came from so perhaps it was a poor copy???

Anyway I hope yours fits better.

• Like 1

Ordered series 2 from SJ could be ready end of January. Not that worried if it’s February as I’m not going to lay under the car fitting it in winter.  

Also tried to order clips for the stainless trims that go on sills, but no longer do them

Tony 

Sorry again advise needed. Trimming fibreglass cant  rails, as I didn’t remove any internal parts , they all came in various boxes with parts for my car plus a half of another elite.  
Question

Are these cant rails that fit above the doors, number three in the photo?

Also what is the ‘A’ post trim number 4 made from , is it a fibreglass panel?

Same with Header rail number 18 ? 
In the parts I have left , can’t seem to find anything that matches. 

81B0007A-66A2-44AA-8504-1B6B58B1C2F8.jpeg

drawing.jpeg

Tony 

The parts in the photo are indeed number 3 - the "coat hooks" hold up the edge of the sun visors - they tend to droop.

Part 4 is leather/vinyl stuck over a strip of foam which is itself stuck directly to the A post - its forward edge is trapped under the windscreen.  I plan to make mine a removeable covered fibreglass part that doesn't need to be trapped under the glass.

Part 18 is a fibreglass part covered in roof lining material.

Pete

Afraid you won't find your original part 4. As Pete described, it's just vinyl covering foam. The foam will likely have disintegrated years ago, and even if you found the scrap of vinyl, I doubt it would be good enough you'd want to reuse it. 

I think you'll end up covering the A post directly in the car unless you get creative with bespoke add on former as Pete is doing. 

Tony 

Hi Tony , just had a quick look at the A post, I should be able to make a cover in aluminium.  Also definitely not got the header rail.  
Are both sun visors identical as I have three which are identical. ? Didn’t know if they should be handed. 

Tony 

My elite s2, came without sun visors, bought a pair for a Jaguar XJ6 that seem to fit fine , seemed to remember had to make some sort of bracket, (don't know about a s1 though), and the Jaguar ones were much better made than the lotus rubbish.

I did buy a s/h visor from C Neil, it was poor, took it apart to see how it was 'made', and chucked it out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Sun visors not handed.  Be careful with the plastic pivot pins - they are fragile and difficult to find (unless someone is remanufacturing them?)

Pete

Thanks, sprayed some silicone on them.  Ready to trim. 

Tony 

2 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

My elite s2, came without sun visors, bought a pair for a Jaguar XJ6 that seem to fit fine , seemed to remember had to make some sort of bracket

Do you know what year XJ6 they were from as there seems to be a few different shapes?

My S2 ones had rotted away!

Pic....taken when I sold the car years ago.,  not sure which model , my dad had a number of Xj6's from 1984 onwards.  The left/right cut outs seemed work ok with the centre mounted rear view mirror. And did not quite meet in the middle. They were certainly a better quality than the covered coat hanger sort of thing I got via C Neil.

Could be ? 

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK/parts/36b11c0c-f02c-43a6-bf21-056f82b74d62?gt=Sunvisors Pair for Jaguar XJ6 S3&saveBranch=UK  XJ6 S3.

Zoom in on first pic can see the spacing in the middle.

DSCF3730.thumb.JPG.ce9347da09b61ebf72dd2aa3eff7becd.JPG

DSCF3746.thumb.JPG.ccbcd136cd9bd93623ca90575112c153.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One door card and headlining to do.  Seats go to the professional trimmers on 14th. Carpet ready to fit once the electrics are completed.  
Angus I’ve fitted near side light ,halfway with drivers side but a bit chilly today so back on the trim 

971CC384-FCF4-4CC3-8049-DE6F09E45D4D.jpeg

Tony