Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 32 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

They do look as good as the original and also well done on getting the headlining fitted. My headlining is ready to go but toying with the idea of leaving the interior window out as it makes it easier to do jobs in the boot area. No smell of petrol luckily!! Back seats and rear hatch adjustments are so much easier.

• Like 1

Hi Angus, understand what you’re saying about the interior window, it was a struggle getting the one nut on rear seat by the fuel tank filler.  
Still got to get brake and reversing lights to work along with electric windows , bolt on spoiler  oh and the horn.  But it’s looking like a car now inside. 😀

Tony 

Hi Tony with the outer nut and bolt on the rear seats, i tried several variations after the bracket broke off. In the end went for a wing nut that could be tightened up fully without the need for a spanner or socket and grazed knuckles!! Mind you getting the bolt in the correct place is a bit tedious.

Help needed again please.  Think this is the voltage stabiliser, are the wires correct , is there one missing? Should there be another one and terminal is broken? 

B5BF5A66-5967-4F2F-B84A-886719D59AAD.jpeg

4C3E3595-5B6D-4AAD-8751-484A5FE0B6B6.jpeg

Edited by Doris the dog
Add photos

Tony 

So long as the speedo casing is earthed (it looks like it is) the only other thing missing is a capacitor - the wiring diagram shows it connected between the green wire terminals and earth, but it is drawn in "by hand" so don't know if all cars had these.

Pete

Just had a closer look.  The four green wires are in two pairs with female terminals.  The light green wire has a male terminal (to connect to "I").  The two male terminals on the regulator (B) has one of the pairs of green wires connected and a "piggyback" female-male connector connected to the capacitor thereby providing a further male terminal for the second pair of green wires.  The other side of the capacitor has a ring terminal and is connected under the speedo securing bracket.  The capacitor is 1.0 microfarads.

PeteRIMG0864.thumb.JPG.15255f46b7a83efba770848b17be7ef5.JPG

Pete

• Thanks 1

Think I need to walk away from the elite today, earlier pulled the tailgate release handle inside the rear pocket and it came of the inner cable that it was crimped too.  Thankfully the tailgate popped up.  No problem I’ve a spare complete cable, just pull out the inner and put in the spare.  Easy, except the spare inner turns out to be 3 inches shorter than the original.  So thankfully the original outer was also long, managed to cut outer too required length, push through inner and connect up. All sorted. 
Need to fix a short second cable to release catch and go through boot floor as a backup perhaps. 

3 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Your capacitor is connected to the light green terminal - should be the green terminal.  Isn't that a "B" marking I see in your first photo?

Pete

Pete , yes you are right there is a “B” on first photo. 👏👏👏. Not a good day.  Absolutely freezing working outside today.  Well that’s my excuse 🥴

Tony 

Today the lotus had less electrical things working than a few weeks ago. No front wiper motor or indicators / hazards.  Which I’ve got back up and running by cleaning the fuse box connections ( well yes I cleaned it but still didn’t improve anything ) had a spare fuse box ( like anyone with a lotus , you need another lotus in parts ) which got the electrics back. 
The coming days, need to get horn, front screen washers , rear wiper/ washers, reverse and brake lights, all lacking 12volts. 
The battery hold down rods have been sheared off flush with fibreglass boot floor.  Need drilling out  of the aluminium molded bobbins. Not looked to see if there’s a battery that fits in the recess yet. 
And the list goes on. 

Tony 

I have got 2 batteries. one with the car and a new one purchased soon after buying the car, and although it says they should fit correctly they actually nearly fit correctly but enough to get the cover on anyway.   In reality they are slightly to wide to fit in the gap but do wedge in as it were. The cross piece which i have cant be used with these 2 batteries unfortunately.

• Like 1

Both my battery tie-down rods were sheared off as well.  I you're really careful you can drill out and either go to M8 (from M6) or thread repair (eg Helicoil) back to M6.

Pete

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Angus553 said:

I have got 2 batteries. one with the car and a new one purchased soon after buying the car, and although it says they should fit correctly they actually nearly fit correctly but enough to get the cover on anyway.   In reality they are slightly to wide to fit in the gap but do wedge in as it were. The cross piece which i have cant be used with these 2 batteries unfortunately.

Careful 'wedging in' the battery, could cause stress cracks in the fibreglass. I sit mine on piece of polystyrene to raise it in the tapering space a bit. Also have sawed off the wide feet on a battery before to get a better fit.

Thanks exeterjeep, forgot I filled in the date of birth when I joined 🥴.  
As the elite is outside and weather is cr#p. I will give it a miss , well I fancy drilling out those sheared off battery clamp rods.  Makes it feel like I’ve not wasted a day.  Would end up depressed if I tried to sort out more electrics 😂

Tony