Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 13 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM
47 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

............ That should save a minimum of £5,840,000 a year.......

Neil & Glenys Kinnock account for that much just between the 2 of them, :veryangry: .

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Andyww said:

The above article conveniently misses out the loss of EU student loans which the students never pay back and simple disappear.

Student Loan Statistics - Parliament

262 student loans went to EU students in 2014-15 compared to 6566 loans to English students, not sure how many of those will go unpaid but it's hardly something to worry about mate.

Can't find your Guardian article, sounds like more media nonsense as if we haven't had enough already.  Can you link the article here?

1 hour ago, franjipane said:

That may happen, can you link to the article? how does the article get to that £130,670,000 figure?  It's a drop in the ocean when you consider what we put in vs what we get back.  For example, look at what just the Universities get back in funding from Europe, it's a profit... http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/international/eu-referendum-how-does-the-european-union-affect-universities-and-students/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9792374/European-MEPs-cost-1.79m-a-year-each-three-times-as-much-as-MPs.html

Here you go.

Don't get me started on Student Loans Company. Astonishingly incompetent is one of the less fruity phrases to describe it.

Margate Exotics.

11 minutes ago, Andyww said:

The solution to the student loans issue is not to leave the EU and stop people from outside of England studying here, it's staying in the EU and forming an agreement with other countries to work together on getting debts repaid.  Currently Australia is the most popular destination for people studying here and then leaving and not repaying loans! https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/12/student-loans-we-will-trace-prosecute-borrowers-dont-pay

George Monbiot makes some decent points in your other article, but that bit about sovereignty is pure hyperbole.

8 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Definitely in need of reform, heck even Cameron had a go.

Crikey. Does he not understand how that will be taken in the UK coming from a German?

The press will have a field day with that and rightly so.

Every time I order parts from the UK for my cars (which arrive at my office) I get asked the same question by my colleagues:

"But, isn't it really expensive, like import duties, tax and stuff?" 

- these are highly educated people all of which possess a University degree (Masters or higher) and they are universally unaware of the fact the UK is even IN the EU.

This illustrates just what a failure the EU is in its current incarnation. Even the immediate, obvious benefits, are not apparent to a lot of people, so why have all these MEPs bleeding taxpayers dry and running their own agendas when people are still going to go on acting as if it's the 70's and that borders = tarriffs etc. No bloody point.

I'm hoping the UK leaves. Yes, this might screw me over considering It's the only citizenship I have (could result in me not being able to continue working in Sweden) but hopefully it will inspire other nations to do the same so we can demolish the whole rotten structure and maybe start over afresh. 

The EU as it is right now does nothing more than serve the interests of Germany and its corrupt politicians, and even the former's not a given considering Germany's new found love for self-immolation in its "acceptance" of over 1 million refugees courtesy of NATO and the USA and their annual military quagmires. 

Destroy and ascend vertically. Time for a do-over.

• Like 2

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

7 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

I'm wondering what plans the government has made to prepare for when we vote to leave the EU.

When you find the plans for brexit let us know.

5 minutes ago, Vanya said:

Every time I order parts from the UK for my cars (which arrive at my office) I get asked the same question by my colleagues:

"But, isn't it really expensive, like import duties, tax and stuff?" 

- these are highly educated people all of which possess a University degree (Masters or higher) and they are universally unaware of the fact the UK is even IN the EU.

This illustrates just what a failure the EU is in its current incarnation. Even the immediate, obvious benefits, are not apparent to a lot of people, so why have all these MEPs bleeding taxpayers dry and running their own agendas when people are still going to go on acting as if it's the 70's and that borders = tarriffs etc. No bloody point.

I'm hoping the UK leaves. Yes, this might screw me over considering It's the only citizenship I have (could result in me not being able to continue working in Sweden) but hopefully it will inspire other nations to do the same so we can demolish the whole rotten structure and maybe start over afresh

The EU as it is right now does nothing more than serve the interests of Germany and its corrupt politicians, and even the former's not a given considering Germany's new found love for self-immolation in its "acceptance" of over 1 million refugees courtesy of NATO and the USA and their annual military quagmires. 

Destroy and ascend vertically. Time for a do-over.

Curious to know what you think would happen if we did leave, did you read the article i posted on the previous page?  What would be the best outcome for you?

6 minutes ago, franjipane said:

When you find the plans for brexit let us know.

Curious to know what you think would happen if we did leave, did you read the article i posted on the previous page?  What would be the best outcome for you?

Hey,

I'm a bit late to the party - I haven't had the chance to read the article yet but will do so. The fact of the matter is, I DON'T know what will happen. My approach nowadays with regards to politics is "Better the devil you DON'T know" - we know what the status quo looks like. It's dysfunctional. It's not universally bad, but it's not well managed either and it is undemocratic. If the UK votes to stay, fine, then live with the consequences. If it doesn't there's a whole list of possibilities - but I don't think it's all doom and gloom either. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Steve, the government must face the stark reality of the situation: If we vote to leave, what will it do, resign en mass and hand over the reins to Comrade Corbyn?

It will have to continue to serve as the elected government and like any good business, will have discussed and planned for that eventuality. I suspect that the reason we haven't seen any sign of them so far is because to do so would hand a propaganda coup to the leave campaigners.

Margate Exotics.

They should have discussed it and made plans, and they should have shared their plans with voters in order to help people make the best decision on such a profoundly important matter.  

But we've had nothing from them, no indication they have a plan, Farage even admits he has no idea what will happen...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-admits-he-has-absolutely-no-idea-what-will-happen-if-britain-leaves-the-eu-a7082126.html

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, franjipane said:

They should have discussed it and made plans, and they should have shared their plans with voters in order to help people make the best decision on such a profoundly important matter.  

But we've had nothing from them, no indication they have a plan, Farage even admits he has no idea what will happen...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-admits-he-has-absolutely-no-idea-what-will-happen-if-britain-leaves-the-eu-a7082126.html

I agree they should have shared their plans, but I don't believe it will happen for the reason I stated.

I do think that there's such an underlying, deep-seated mistrust of the EU in a lot of people that they're willing to take the risk of leaving.

2 hours ago, Buddsy said:

“If the UK votes to leave, Mr Hardt said, then the EU should gauge possible action to prevent a British exit from becoming a reality” - Juergen Hardt senior German CDU MP told Der Spiegel

So if we did vote to leave they would stop us?

Buddsy

Think barbed wire and machine gun towers. Passe, but it mostly worked last time around.

Margate Exotics.

Geldof is on Question time tomorrow so that should be the final nail in the coffin for the Remain campaign.

What on earth were they thinking?

"We need to get those young people to vote so lets get someone they like, I know, that hip Izzard fellow and that Bob who swears a lot from Live Aid should do it".

It would not surprise me if some panic phone calls are going on right now to find some way of replacing Geldof.

I think that if someone had told the population in 1945 what would happen and that many countries would get ruled by germany and belgium in the future to come, and that we would have to give up our independence and national currency, stand straight to an international hymn, foreign flag, see millions of foreigners invade our countries, take our social benefits that we have spent generations to make and likewise a huge amount of Money and taxation, they would have lost all faith in humanity and today they would turn in their graves.

I know one thing: my grandparents did not fight against germany and others in WW1 and WW2 to get to what is today. And I seriously doubt that anyone in the UK would think much differently in 1945.

I say vote out, and let's do that too.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 2

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

How biased was david dimbleby on the earlier question time with Gove? 

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Couple of Telegraph articles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/former-tory-leaders-and-chancellors-accuse-george-osborne-of-lud/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/15/it-will-all-end-in-tears-for-the-first-kamikaze-chancellor-in-hi/

Personally, after this referendum, I will never vote Conservative again whilst CMD and Osborne are involved in leading the party.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Couple of Telegraph articles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/former-tory-leaders-and-chancellors-accuse-george-osborne-of-lud/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/15/it-will-all-end-in-tears-for-the-first-kamikaze-chancellor-in-hi/

Personally, after this referendum, I will never vote Conservative again whilst CMD and Osborne are involved in leading the party.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about that, they'll soon both be history. CMD is standing aside as PM at the next election anyway.

Margate Exotics.