Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 26 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

Yes all EU money comes from EU member states.

Barry, to say they are all un-elected is not true, We have elected representatives in the EU parliament and council. Likening the EU to communist China is mad.

What we need the government to do, which the leave campaign has failed to do so far, is give us a guarantee that they will replace the lost money from the EU.

Can't see it happen myself, Boris and friends are only going to look after the wealthiest.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, march said:

I will not actually be celebrating this the outcome as I believe it is not a victory but an outcome of a failed project that at it's inception had truly good and appropriate aims but was manipulated into an expansionist undemocratic state.

Just look at the EU response - they are trying to stop other states exercising their right to act in a democratic manner and offer a referendum - THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY!

Very true and also they are blaming everything on an internal split in the Tory party. Not a peep from them about anything they might have got wrong themselves.

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

@ian29gte Eu grants are distributed by the Eu unelected elite. Akin if you like to communist China. The money they hand out comes from revenues they raise by charging member states to be part of the club. Like any clubs - there is a cost of running them. Lobster and bollinger are not cheap - nor are mink lined slippers. 

The money the eu hand to us for using as they tell us to indeed does come from the uk taxpayer.

politicians really should stand strong and firm and get on with the job the electorate has asked them to do.

Not one bit chap - I've read so much information now. 

I'm a great believer in democracy - so for all the rights or wrongs here we are!!

Ah, it is as I thought - member states give money to the EU, which uses it for the running of the Empire (the same one that hasn't has its accounts signed off for many years), and then members states have to apply cap-in-hand for grants. So, it's a bit like an insurance company, or possibly a loan shark where Greece is concerned.

Meanwhile, I see Jean-Claude "The Emperor" Juncker is calling for the UK to exit his club ASAP.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Not sure the terms of any pensions I have require me to agree to vote one way or another. What an utterly strange arrangement the kinnocks have...

image.jpeg

Only here once

17 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

You are entitled to your opinion and so am I. I purposely stayed away from this thread and never looked at it once since it started until today, because I didn't want to get involved in a pre-vote altercation. I won't contribute further, but just a clarification of the above point: 3 regions voted Remain: Scotland: 62%, London 60% and N. Ireland: 56%. The majority of the rest of England (and Wales) voted Leave. Many, like yourself would have correctly voted on principal about the EU, but I genuinely fear that many of the rest just voted on the Immigration card. I heard so many interviews with people saying they were voting Leave for just that reason. I don't think that is something to be proud of. Anyway, in other news... Liz Hurley will be pleased because she wants to see the reintroduction of 100W incandescent light bulbs!

The trouble with your opinion is that you chose to use a petty insult and broadbrush brexit voters in a small narrow minded characterisation which quite frankly is inflammatory.  Poor form fella. 

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

The Brexit vote was a real mash up of multidimensional opinions and thought

there are likely to be simply dozens of utterly differing views and opinions in this. All of which are completely right and correct to that individual or group of individuals.

the intolerant language used by some groups and individuals is distasteful. The alternative is we change our whole political system to that of a dictatorship if democracy is no longer acceptable.

Great Britain is still great - it's the land of the free with huge opportunity should you wish to grasp it.

image.jpeg

Off to fill up the esprit with petrol !!

• Like 2

Only here once

15 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Rome was not built in a day

Possibly not the best analogy when you look at the legend of Romulus and Remus and the creation of Rome:

When Romulus and Remus became adults, they decided to found a city where the wolf had found them. The brothers quarrelled over where the site should be and Remus was killed by his brother. This left Romulus the sole founder of the new city and he gave his name to it – Rome. 

Let's hope we don't follow their example. :getmecoat:

We didn't get Boris island so lets also hope we don't get Borisland

Lol - I was talking metaphorically re Rome, but thought it might be a better example than say Skelmersdale or Welwyn Garden City.

Is Borisland like Flamingoland in Yorkshire, only without the cute cuddly animals?

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Interesting comments from Poland and quite a lot more constructive than many coming out from the bureaucrats in EU HQ. I hope that we will see a realisation across many EU member states that what the UK have primarily rejected is the formation of the EU "Super State" and the resulting oversight that this would bring. If we were to get back to basics with a new treaty around trade, you know, the formation of a common market, without the trapping and embellishments including closer political harmony and ties, proposed EU military force and EU courts etc. then I would expect an overall substantive majority from within the UK to stay, or to apply to join, this NEW EU treaty.

A lot has been spoken about immigration and the freedom of movement for workers, I don't think I have heard anyone on this forum say they were against that, but as is so often the case, the real issue is lost in translation and it was not the freedom of movement for work that has caused the reaction, but the, and we need to be honest here, the smaller issue of people coming here with no work nor means to support themselves and just expecting to be handed a better life for nothing. It's funny, a lot of talk about "small minded little englanders not liking Jonny foreigner", well, there were a lot of non white 1st and 2nd generation immigrants who voted Brexit as they were fed up of those coming here and demanding stuff for free - when they arrived they arrived with little other than an aspiration and willingness to work to build a better life. And boy did they do that and boy have they contributed and boy has the whole of the UK benefited from their coming and their positive can do / will do attitude.

Poland is the biggest beneficiary of EU funds, which are transforming the country. Warsaw wants to remain, but it will use Brexit to push for a looser EU based on the single market.

"The conclusion is obvious: We need a new European treaty," said Jaroslaw Kaczynski, head of the governing PiS party and the country's most powerful politician.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

C8, re read my post you quoted and took issue with, I didn't say commission, I said council.

if you don't like my posting style don't read my posts.

But don't say I haven't posted opinions, I've posted loads and you've even agreed with some. I post the sources along with opinions so people can see I'm not just making shit up. Seems like a silly thing to get worked up about. 

I've been nothing but polite, just trying to have a discussion while you've ended up resorting to name calling, misquoting, and seemingly having an issue with my style of posting including too many sources. 

Think we are done here. Life is too short. 

• Gold FFM

Woohoo! I'm breaking out the gin.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said the European Union has "no need to be particularly nasty in any way" in the negotiations with Britain about its exit from the bloc.

She insisted that deterring other countries from leaving the EU should not be a priority in the talks.

And she added she was not in favour of pushing for a speedy withdrawal.

Britain narrowly voted to end its membership in a historic referendum last Thursday.

Mrs Merkel was speaking after several EU foreign ministers - including Germany's - had urged Britain to quickly implement its exit.

"It shouldn't take forever, that's right, but I would not fight for a short timeframe," she said.

She added that she was seeking an "objective, good" climate in the talks with Britain, which "must be conducted properly".

I think the UK, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Greece and Denmark could get along just fine based on some of the more sensible comments that are now coming from their elected leaders, rather than the inflammatory nonsense from their non elected EU reps. We could actually see the EU President and the non elected commission get its wings clipped with a shift in emphasis possibly back to the elected EU Parliament. I think that would be a great positive outcome.

• Like 1

The small print.

31 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

:sofa:

Bloody hell Barry just watched that and good job it was not broadcast on Wednesday night as the vote to leave would have been much higher. No idea what is true or not, but it shows whilst UK news was focusing only on the negatives of leaving, many in Europe are looking at positives and how the UK will only benefit. What a contrast in approach and views.

• Like 1

The small print.

Some European newspapers put an interesting perspective on things and Sturgeon I hope is taking note, as she could take Scotland independent and lose both the UK and the EU safety nets as the latter one may not exist when she gets there!

In Italy, Corriere della Sera's Antonio Polito says the EU must show "humility" in addressing public concern about its policies.

Spain's El Mundo focuses on the harm it sees Brexit doing to the European economy, but is sure that EU-UK relations will remain strong.

In the Dutch NRC Next tabloid former European Commission official Luuk van Middelaar calls on European leaders to address "disillusionment with the EU among their own voters", by strengthening EU border controls and reinforcing the eurozone, he says.

De Telegraaf's front page suggests that the EU fears the Netherlands will be next to seek an exit referendum.
A poll it carried out shows most voters fearing exit would be "bad for our wallets" and reduce the country's role on the world stage, but their lead over "Nexit" supporters is narrow.

Liberation's editorial also puts the blame for Brexit firmly on the EU, which it says ignored public discontent, with its "tortuous path towards a bright utopia", and "finished the job with its soft response to the social crisis and irresolution over the migration crisis". Liberation's solution is for the European Commission to cede power to the European Parliament, which can then make the voice of the people heard and "ward off the democratic crisis".

Tageszeitung warns that the vote was a revolt "against those on high", and that populist parties in Europe will now use the referendum threat to put pressure on their own governments.
"The European Union is now at a turning point, and if the German government thinks it can continue just like before, it could bring this Europe crashing down around their ears," it concludes.

• Like 2

The small print.

• Gold FFM

New guy required

image.jpeg

will a Stalinist leader make them happy - seems that could well be what the people want. 

Only here once