Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Always been a Esprit super fan! Should I buy one and which one? I want it as a daily driver - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Always been a Esprit super fan! Should I buy one and which one? I want it as a daily driver

EBP

The V8 should not be prone to overheating, not if everything is in good shape.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, MD355 said:

The V8 has a dual disk clutch without vibration springs... So it is a little difficult to use in stop and go traffic.. Most people stall the car until they get to know how to use it.. The dual clutch is fine in high speed changes (less rotating mass = less strain on the synchros) but at low speeds forget about it.. Furthermore, the V8 engine is indeed prone to overheating.. I guess the cooling system was not designed for warm climates or stop and go traffic..

I think we should define "overheating", as opposed to "runs hot".

My V8 was left running on the MOT stand yesterday. It got hot, the fans kicked in, it cooled down, it got hot, fans on/off etc etc. No problem.

Now if it sat there, fans came on, then car overheated, THAT would be a problem.

The clutch is not ideal for stop go traffic of course-and less for hill starts with some cnut in a Tesla 6 inches off my back bumper-but that's the nature of the beast! The V8 is also not good for taking my old washing machine to the dump.

:)

Also, less than 1,000 miles last year. I have other choices for the commute on the M25.

10 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

I think we should define "overheating", as opposed to "runs hot".

My V8 was left running on the MOT stand yesterday. It got hot, the fans kicked in, it cooled down, it got hot, fans on/off etc etc. No problem.

Now if it sat there, fans came on, then car overheated, THAT would be a problem.

The clutch is not ideal for stop go traffic of course-and less for hill starts with some cnut in a Tesla 6 inches off my back bumper-but that's the nature of the beast! The V8 is also not good for taking my old washing machine to the dump.

:)

Also, less than 1,000 miles last year. I have other choices for the commute on the M25.

Good point !!

From my experience, overheating doesn't occur when you just let the car idle... In your example you are right that the fans kick in and it stays below 100 C Celcius, which is fine..

Overheating occur when you drive the car hard, lets say you hit 1-2 times full boost and THEN you get stuck in traffic... The water that circulates tries to cool down the turbos and the engine, and I think the system is inadequate in stop and go traffic..

That's the exact reason I put a fan switch to turn on the fan manually... It is my impression that the V8 cooling fans turn on too late, or do not work as hard as when you manually start them.. Just my opinion based on my experience...

I've been advised, if worried about the temperature in stop/start traffic, to raise the engine revs a little when so as to give the the water pump a help in getting the eater the the front of the car. 

Also have the heater on full blast to get the water to circulate to the front of the engine.

One last thing that is a big advantage for the Lotus Esprit if you plan to use everyday, is the fiberglass body. When I go someplace I am always worried if I go with my Porsche or Ferrari, because their aluminum doors and fenders are very sensitive to the slightest ding or scratch... You gotta be careful all the time where you park because the bodywork car easily dent / scratch.

With the Lotus Esprit I am much less worried, because the fiberglass is very resistant... You can almost kick the door and nothing will happen... LOL And the paint is equally more resistant compared to aluminum/steel car bodies..

1 hour ago, Giniw said:

Is it?

My impression is that the paint on the fiberglass panels of the Lotus is more resistant than on an aluminum/steel bodied car.. Since the fiberglass is more flexible and can absorb impact better, there is less hardness on the surface, the surface is more elastic, so there is less of a chance that the paint will come off/scratch on impact.. Just my opinion

Edited by MD355

On 05/03/2020 at 00:07, Giniw said:

mine includes a traffic light, three high harsh sleeping policemen and 8 roundabouts in just over 4 miles ...

... sorry, not 3 but 4 sleeping policemen. There's a new one! :realmad:

Edited by Giniw