Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ecu - Page 2 - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ecu

The Delco ECU's are usually pretty cheap in the States...

This one is $95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Control-Module-ECU-ECM-PCM-Engine-Control-Computer-Cardone-77-8708-Reman-/122529017077?epid=76006286&hash=item1c874c6cf5:g:YBUAAOSwjvJZUpyn&vxp=mtr

The Lotus MEMCAL is unique and not used on any GM cars.  The package is a custom ceramic chip with specific filters and circuitry. Those are really getting difficult to get a hold of!

jhbdMIujgblRxl00GEzTBUiAQv02zC-uW7yywMVB

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks Travis. Awesome, a printed ceramic hybrid microcircuit! Many moons ago I used to design and develop them for a Racal company.

I'm aware that the Delco ECUs are reasonably obtainable (sans the MEMCAL module, as you say), unlike the rare as dodo droppings V8 EFI MT-501. I am drawn to looking into this as reviewing the service manual unsurprisingly there are many functional similarities between them. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to make a common unit. This has the potential for customisation (dial your own boost, up to date interfaces and apps - Bluetooth, iOS and Android, water injection/nitrous oxide options etc.) The other aspect is compliance and standards - to be able to sell these I will need to go through CE/FCC testing and certification including the tough automotive stuff. 1,500 maximum V8 ECM sales might be enough, but an additional 4,600 4 pot opportunities would spread what is a pretty substantial outlay.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

On 9/6/2017 at 16:41, ian29gte said:

Presumably you'll need two of them if it's a V8.:whistle:

Yeah what is up with that? I know of some folks who got struck out by a bad ECU on a road trip, made the car go bonkers. This seems to be common on the V8....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Alan, I have recovered the ECU from my burned out SE. Not opened it yet, so I don't know what it's like inside. Let me know if you think it can be of any use.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

23 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

I'm aware that the Delco ECUs are reasonably obtainable (sans the MEMCAL module, as you say), unlike the rare as dodo droppings V8 EFI MT-501. I am drawn to looking into this as reviewing the service manual unsurprisingly there are many functional similarities between them. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to make a common unit. This has the potential for customisation (dial your own boost, up to date interfaces and apps - Bluetooth, iOS and Android, water injection/nitrous oxide options etc.) The other aspect is compliance and standards - to be able to sell these I will need to go through CE/FCC testing and certification including the tough automotive stuff. 1,500 maximum V8 ECM sales might be enough, but an additional 4,600 4 pot opportunities would spread what is a pretty substantial outlay.

Have you seen this (this is an oldie from long ago, but cool idea)

http://pocketvcs.emuunlim.com/Win32/Lotus/Emulator.html

&

http://pocketvcs.emuunlim.com/Win32/Lotus/ECUMonitor.html

Lotus20-640.jpg

Lotus19-640.jpg

Monitor1.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

On 9/8/2017 at 07:52, Escape said:

Alan, I have recovered the ECU from my burned out SE. Not opened it yet, so I don't know what it's like inside. Let me know if you think it can be of any use.

Filip

Hello @Escape Filip, yes that would be very helpful - it will be interesting to see how fire resistant GM electronic products are! Please could you do me a favour and pull the lid and see if anything legible remains inside? If so then I would be keen to get my paws on it!

On 9/8/2017 at 19:45, Vulcan Grey said:

Stuart's email doesn't work any more (this project is from 2002...)

but I found him on Linkedin, we'll see if he replies!

Thanks @Vulcan Grey Travis, wow - really cool! That could be very useful for getting a sample of the maps which is a real problem for reverse engineering these things. Hopefully he will reply. I'm heading for a dual purpose 4/8 pot replacement with both sets of connectors with lots of other more up to date goodies like Bluetooth, on board high capacity data logging, will write some apps for mobiles yadda yadda.

One quick question for the knowledgeable out there - I haven't studied the Delco ECM much yet but I understand that there are two versions, one with two connectors and one with three? Any overview on the differences?

No problem Alan, I'll dig it out and pull the lid. If anything remains, I'll send some pictures.

I think there was a 4 connector version for the chargecooled SE and later and a 3 connector version for the non-chargecooled S. Only the 4 connector one is described in the manual with pin-outs etc, but the 3 connector layout can be seen in the ECM wiring diagrams for non-chargecooled.

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The 4 connector version is later and much better (waterproof) part # 1228708 It was also used on every SE, X180-R, Sport 300, S4, S4s, GT3... etc...

YeR-AvXEwkM2pT4rgKofD-ywTTCjCuZcjDyl_IPr

5j-5PfqRZltQ3qGNTvav-dffLzNN2QKCERdDyUPU

T8imRrDr9620-AF1ZfR9o9bPeegx_g6dl5Kmlut0

YqTIs_Dq3uP1cx3-dzx39bi64AJiAA9hzEiztLaT

hbyDyyNxrh7PbPnBbNOOW9TEKtOUoLCwm-HVnpiU

The 3 connector was only used on the 89 (non-SE) and is much more rare. Part# 1228707

v8NIMVoCgzKMOf1VE8GvQDN-P_67joUTmzeL21QU

CNUGBhOzc77Hn-Ca2cMxzorydsWjj3TLwwy7ZzRP

-lX9HsI2OnsUpGEZ0ICfYhoxlOpFa21ObM1wtpo1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Does anyone have a pdf copy of the Lotus Service Notes Manual for non-chargecooled Stevens four pots they could let me have please? I've got Section EMH for chargecooled but not EMG, as per this:

"Note that this new manual EMH, is additional to, and does not replace manual EMG (C082T0327Z) which covers cars without chargecooler."

I have a parts list for '88-'92 but no wiring diagrams or service notes. I thought they were available on here but I can't find them! Presumably that would include EMG?

Ta in advance.

On 9/11/2017 at 19:50, Vulcan Grey said:

The 4 connector version is later and much better (waterproof) part # 1228708 It was also used on every SE, X180-R, Sport 300, S4, S4s, GT3... etc...

YeR-AvXEwkM2pT4rgKofD-ywTTCjCuZcjDyl_IPr

I'm trying to source these connectors or at least get the specs and dimensions. Can anybody confirm my perception  that they are twin double sockets? That is a 22 + 22 pin unit replicated twice?

I think the connectors ar Delphi  https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/369425-connector-terminal-1227727-ecm.html#post2924535

The green connector might be http://ecat.delphi.com/feature?search=12065875

12065875 Description : 22 Way Dark Gray Micro-Pack 100 Sealed Female Connector, Max Current 5 amps

12065875hs-jpg.jpg?Status=Master&sfvrsn=

Brown is 

12065878 Description :22 Way Brown Micro-Pack 100 Sealed Female Connector, Max Current 5 amps

12065878hs-jpg.jpg?Status=Master&sfvrsn=

Red is 12065876 can't find red's product page

Yellow/dk grey is 

12065875 Description :22 Way Dark Gray Micro-Pack 100 Sealed Female Connector, Max Current 5 amps

12065875hs-jpg.jpg?Status=Master&sfvrsn=

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He replied today.

He did say he's been busy, but would be able to answer questions or help.

he also said 

If anyone is in a pinch you can let them now that other memcal modules for the correct ECU will work, but the eeprom needs to be replaced. The remaining circuit is an analog filter for the knock sensor to get the "correct" ping sound as the only trigger for the knock spark advance correction. Most 4 cyl GM's have a similar frequency (actually a wider range) and their ECU circuit will work fine. There is a little chance of a higher knock counted by the ECU, but that is easy to test with a tool showing the knock count while driving.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE