Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Drive shaft oil seals! - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Drive shaft oil seals!

Hi @cammmy

Your post says you have bought a tool but you go on to enquire about borrowing one, I suspect a typo somewhere. 🙂

I have the seal insertion tool and have lent it out in the past without issues. If you want to contact me with a direct message I'm sure we can sort something out. 👍

cheers

-Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry, I meant I bought a generic bearing/seal driver kit but was asking if this special tool is an absolute must.

Great, thanks. I'll get in thouch once I have all my supension components back. The old bushes are pretty well stuck in place, so they are at a friend's workshop to be pressed out.

16 hours ago, cammmy said:

The old bushes are pretty well stuck in place, so they are at a friend's workshop to be pressed out.

If your friend hasn't removed any previously I'd get them to someone who's done it before as a breakage will be very expensive.

Cheers,

John W

Thanks but unfortunately, I learned that lesson myself with the hub. He thinks they can weld it back together though. They are an expert classic car outfit, he gets flown around europe to support their customers vintage race cars. It's always awesome visiting their shop.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks Paul. I just fitted new seals and pins and its leaking oil. Im pretty sure from just the roll pins. Currently I've sealed the ends of the pins very thoroughly with rtv silicon. if this proves the pins are leaking, I'll replace with the spiral pins and some better sealant in the driveshaft hole and hopefully that will fix it.

Hope it goes well!

mine has been absolutely dry since I did this job! I was surprised - after the force required to insert the new seals into the transmission case!

Kind Regards

Paul

Great yours are still dry.

Well after a significant dollop of silicon on the ends of each roll pin, and some thorough degreasing of the area, no oil leaking out.... so far . It's tempting to leave it and see how long that holds up.

I was thinking that the oil seals should not leak as long as the driveshafts are not damaged in the contact area. not dissimilar to any oil seal, like the crank main seals they last ages sometimes forever. The roll pin arrangement however just relies on sealing the gaps with silicon. the oil makes its way along the grooves in the shafts and finds its way out passed the roll pins. I had a good look at the roll pins and they are not very round, so there will be gaps everywhere not just the main split down the middle. The spiral pins are much more round and only a small gap along the length at the end of the 'roll'. I think I'm going to cut down the length so that they sit about 1mm below the surface of the shaft that way sealing the ends with silicone will be much more successful, hopefully. Or put a long thin bolt down the middle with some rubber sealing washers at either end to make a proper seal.