Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Where to buy 410 tyres? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Where to buy 410 tyres?

Im hunting for some 410 rears, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 285/30 R20 99

Where are people buying them?, Camskill told me they cant get them for the Evora and if I fit any they sell my insurance would be invalid, and it would ruin the handling!

Where are people getting the correct tyres other than Lotus and what is the correct code?

Edited by j141

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Black circles have the size. They are shown as other car specific, but I'm not aware of any tyres being lotus specific.  Personally I'd swap for MPS4s and get a more usable tyre that still works at low temps.

Edited by Bibs

Thanks Simon, Camskill have the size but they do two versions, one is merc the other BMW I believe:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=139037

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s9118p139036/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_Cup_2_-_285_30_R20_(99Y)_XL_(*)_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_73dB

Im going to switch to MPS4s when all 4 need doing which should be next change :)

Edited by j141

Not sure what they came out of the factory with. Can you not double check the full spec against your current tyre? My 400 came with super sports and they still have 5mm + tread depth after 11k miles. I'm a big fan of Michelins tbh. They are expensive but but they perform great and last longer than most other brands.

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 17:21, j141 said:

Camskill told me they cant get them for the Evora and if I fit any they sell my insurance would be invalid, and it would ruin the handling!

Bit of a worry they managed to get three things wrong in one sentence.

• Haha 1

Sounds like you should order from Camskill if you know what you need, but don't ask them for advice.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Who has switch from Cup 2 to Pilot sport 4S? Is there much difference? I fear changing would loose a lot of the character the 410 has over the 400 in regard to that razor sharp steering and gip.

This is exactly my worry but the cup 2's work out 2-3x more expensive when you factor in wear rate, so is it worth the extra cost?

Edited by Bibs

Personally I don;t think the cost is much of a factor at all, given what the car costs to run, insure, service, depreciation etc. For me it all about putting a smile on my face. Its only the rears what wear for me at a set a year which is about £450 per year which I can live with. Fronts wear very slowely for me.

Edited by Bibs

I have the original pilot supersports on my 400 and a set of MP4S's on my 2017 civic type R.  Both work very well in the rain and as well in the cold as any other summer tyre I've used over the years. It's wrong however to think of these as 'safe as houses' soft options, because they are still compromised by comparison to the MP4, but just less so than the cups. They don't like extreme cold or snow, as I nearly found out to my cost last year during a freak snow storm on the Timmelsjoch pass in Austria.  They are designed with some track use in mind (20% apparently). So for me it would be a no brainer, particularly if I intended to run a 410 through the winter months instead of part sorning it. 

• Like 2

I get why one might use 4S over the Cups (hence why I'm asking), I'd just like to know if any 410 owners have actually done it and can compare accurately.

Edited by Bravo73

@Bibs if rolling resistance, Tyre weight for given load/speed, Tyre dimensions and sidewall profiles for aerodynamic issues and of course tyre/vehicle interaction for handling caracteristics were not so much car manufacturer related and platform related for OE , then yes, it would be easier 😆

But I would have a lot less work 😬

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 09:37, bosshog said:

Who has switch from Cup 2 to Pilot sport 4S? Is there much difference? I fear changing would loose a lot of the character the 410 has over the 400 in regard to that razor sharp steering and gip.

I've driven a GT430 on Cup 2's and a GT410 that was either on PS4S's or Pirelli's of some kind. Unfortunately I can't properly compare them but what I do remember firmly about the Cup 2's is that when the weather was 2-3 degrees C and the roads lightly wet, I was being thoroughly embarrassed by a Golf GTD from 0 to 60mph. There was so little grip it was a massive slip 'n slide fest. Even more scary considering it wasn't my car.

It's worth checking out the Tyrereviews videos on Youtube if you want to see proper testing. If memory serves me right, the performance in summer between Cup 2 and PS4S was marginal, while the wet and cold handling was massive. For the road, PS4S is a better all-round tyre and I don't think you'll even notice the difference in the dry to the Cup 2.

Edited by Gears
  • Like 1

If you don't notice a difference in the dry between Cup2 and PS4S even on the road you might as well switch to autonomous cars right away.... 

OK, I'm teasing you there, but truly the difference is significant. But I agree on cold and wet it's even greater. 

Edited by rallyesax
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 09/06/2020 at 21:27, rallyesax said:

If you don't notice a difference in the dry between Cup2 and PS4S even on the road you might as well switch to autonomous cars right away.... 

OK, I'm teasing you there, but truly the difference is significant. But I agree on cold and wet it's even greater. 

+1.  I made a recent discovery and so am going to resurrect this thread for posterity’s sake.  When I re-bought my 410 I noticed that it wasn’t as responsive as I remembered despite the dealer  fitting new Michelin tyres.  I had the geometry checked and it had too much toe in.  I had lit changed to a small amount of toe out but it still didn’t feel as good as my memory was telling me.  Then I noticed it had MPS4S rather than the Cup 2s and the penny dropped.  Cup 2s make a big difference.  They are Excellent in the dry,  fine in the wet so long as it is warm but scary in the cold

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

+1.  I made a recent discovery and so am going to resurrect this thread for posterity’s sake.  When I re-bought my 410 I noticed that it wasn’t as responsive as I remembered despite the dealer  fitting new Michelin tyres.  I had the geometry checked and it had too much toe in.  I had lit changed to a small amount of toe out but it still didn’t feel as good as my memory was telling me.  Then I noticed it had MPS4S rather than the Cup 2s and the penny dropped.  Cup 2s make a big difference.  They are Excellent in the dry,  fine in the wet so long as it is warm but scary in the cold

That gives me a bit of a dilemma I had pretty much decided I was going to switch my 410 to PS4S for the extra wet/cold performance and economy when the time came but after reading this now im not so sure, I dont know if I would be able to tell the difference in all honesty? :blink:

9 hours ago, j141 said:

That gives me a bit of a dilemma I had pretty much decided I was going to switch my 410 to PS4S for the extra wet/cold performance and economy when the time came but after reading this now im not so sure, I dont know if I would be able to tell the difference in all honesty? :blink:

One of the most memorable times on Cup 2s was going around a roundabout at circa 20mph when I felt the steering go light. I looked hard at the road and noticed that a lorry had been past earlier and had left a coating of dust on that half of the roundabout.  The MPS4S aren’t at that level.  They are good tyres and even held up well on a recent wet track day but they do rob you of some feel and increase the moment of inertia on turn in.  I think you will notice the difference but, as you say, the upside is better all year performance and increased wear.  Choices choices!

The new BMW fit MPS4S might be the answer

• Like 1