Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 JPS project - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 JPS project

Dilemma...

Talking to Steve at SJ today he thinks I would be absolutely mad to remove the air system/pump and Cat Exhaust as said he’s never actually seen an Esprit with it fitted other than a picture which considering he must have worked on endless Esprit over the past 44 years is making me think...

Not really worried about performance too much otherwise I would have bought a turbo or later variant but it does mean the euro rear valance won’t fit unless I pay out £600 for a euro stainless exhaust.

Steve said he can do me an extended US valance with grille which fits the euro rear bumper.

Clearly lots of work went into this system as the head is different to accept the air injectors and the exhaust is smart with excellent heat shields. 
I spoke to Andy Graham after and he was the same having not seen one.

8B6B8DE6-DFED-44D9-96B2-F30D5DA875B5.jpeg.8deb3097a679216ffe1bdbb223da6643.jpegSJ Euro kit for the S2

53C9A259-F308-4ED9-BC6C-E53375A112C2.jpeg.d9d354e4a170e1a7a1fa4bd2d699fd05.jpegB20448C3-DADF-4FB1-AF0C-32943E555AB3.jpeg.e9ed57b6b6de6b6d6aba221f8719bce7.jpegEuro valance and stainless exhaust which is bling!

I could run the Air system with the above I guess and retain my original bits but I do quite like the quality of the OEM system fitted.

858729F9-E745-4807-BE8E-41FAA14F5408.jpeg.707eb758c66de637e1ed745feaf67c5d.jpeg
If you run a euro bumper with the US valance you need to sit the bumper lower on the car.

E862A641-8562-431A-878F-5F230E2F8494.thumb.jpeg.3ea4b19523af8e520874de913895885e.jpegWith Steve’s extended federal valance you can have the bumper at standard height.

3314038D-C34E-4426-9FF8-22CA14AE9430.jpeg.0debee2527f3d3a1a44d6ef55ef04a3d.jpegOr bite the bullet and buy the exhaust, mount plates, straps and fixing losing the CAT going full euro spec

Opinions? 🤞🏼👍🏻

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From a design point of view if going Euro you have to position the rear bumper where it's meant to be. Without the gap, otherwise it looks a bit rubbish.

As for converting to Euro carburetion that'll depend upon your intentions. Personal use, your choice perhaps keep original, but changing the bumpers is moving away from that anyway. Flip to Europe, then Del'lortos are the only way IMO, otherwise you're limiting its appeal.

If you want to fit new Federal bumpers to retain all originality then contact Bill Galbraith in Florida who has remade them.

• Like 1

I think you’re right David, I’ve been reading up on US sites about the dieseling effect the air pumps had with up to 10 secs of overrun along with the air flow restriction the actual air injectors make.

I’m going to remove and machine up some plugs for the head but retain all the emissions equipment in my loft in case ever needed again.

So a shiny new exhaust it is, I think I will need a different adapter plate on the rear of the gearbox, different mount and straps alike so not a cheap exchange.

I’m thinking about rebuilding the DHLA 48 carbs I have as they are in superb condition and seeing how they run on the 907, I will have to set them up carefully which is fine but they were fitted prior to the current Webber’s.

If it doesn’t work out I will sell them and get some 45 carbs instead.

As for the valance, I would not have entertained dropping the bumper as reminds me of a teenager with his jeans half way up his ass 😁

• Like 1

The Federal spec was a miserable affliction, not something to cherish in my opinion. Set the car up as the design team would have preferred it and stash away the smog bits for your own peace of mind Nothing trick about the air pump port plugs, they are very likely 1/8 NPT or similar tapered thread.

• Like 2

Thanks David, to make it of any use would require the head as well I believe for the air injectors to be installed unless a standard head can be modified.

Nice find, I will have a think about what I want to do with the kit as did plan to keep it with the car TBH.

I do understand the need and how challenging it is finding these used parts especially when required for the California smog test.

• Like 1

Keep all the original pieces, keeps the value if you ever sell and the new owner wants to return to original. Fit the SJ rear bumper and extended valance but keep the original exhaust. Remove air pumps and piping, easy to fit bungs to the head to block the holes. My car has had this done and runs fine. Do not swap the head with anyone, it's only original once.

• Love 1

Thanks Roo, this has been a proper dilemma, SJ gave the same advice keeping it as was or retaining parts doing himself out of around £800 for an exhaust system. 

The exhaust is in fantastic condition only really needing the two silencer heat shields replaced which Steve sells. I actually like the look of the system with mesh guards as well.

Funny enough I was adamant I would fit my two alloy tanks but these tanks are rot free so going to stick with the originals just changing the hosing.

• Like 1

JAE has the plugs for the air injector ports. Rather than just plugging the injector, with theirs you remove the injector and plug the threaded port in the head. 

I hardly think my S1 ‘ looks a bit rubbish’. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gavin that’s very helpful, I will see if I can find them on their website.

I didn’t realise that was your yellow S1 as just a google library image. I certainly never called a S1 rubbish as a big fan especially yellow/tartan as a combo👍

• Like 1

@gtookey I think it looks better if the gap between the top of the rear bumper and the waistline trim is the same as on Euro spec cars.

I'd have to check back on that photo, but I suspect that the distance been the exhaust pipes to the underside of the bumper is also increased. Design-wise, it's an interesting area, and even more pronounced on cars like the De Tomasa Pantera.

SJ Sportscars now make a rear valance for catalyst cars which I "ass-ume" is deeper but extends further. Allowing the bumper to be mounted higher.

Like @LOTUSMAN33 I'm not sure if I like the rear valance with the lower grill or not. The Euro version is certainly neater, but in some ways the grill and visible exhaust muffler reminds me of certain Muiras etc. Something hardly ever seen on today's jelly mould commuters, which seem to hide every ounce of machinery.

SJ's parts are good quality, but I think their supplier isn't up to full speed, and deliveries to the US are taking a lot longer than normal due to reduced air freight schedules.

• Like 1

If you drain your tanks try and derust them with this: https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-Water-based-Non-Toxic-Biodegradable/dp/B00370N1UG I let it sit for a week then drain and flush out with water and then dry with air hose. Look like new inside. I also use it in my ultrasonic cleaner to derust nuts/bolts/parts before re plating them.

• Like 2

Thanks Roo, I will get some of that although couldn’t see any rust with my RVI camera only about 1/8-1/4 of fuel in each which was quite smelly. 
I do have a pair of alloy tanks already but will keep these for the future I think.

38 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Looks in good nick Dave!

Yes really pleased Fabian, only rust is surface where paint coatings have been broken from jacks etc. I will rub these down and represerve as I work on various bits. 👍

• Like 1

Almost as exciting as the thread on S1 ashtray. 

Who did the flap for you or was it second-hand original? 

Justin 

IMG_20200824_2020336.thumb.jpg.828e2b19c2f9bb294878ea219a8ffae5.jpg

Have all my tapes to hand and use in Excel regularly.

Justin  

• Like 2

Lol some true 80’s pop icons there Justin, mine are pretty similar with a few early ‘Now’ albums as well. 🍻
I bought a broken stereo from Italy from a Ferrari 308 for the bits.

I love the details hence the S1 ashtrays etc, a bit of a geek I guess 🤣

• Haha 1