Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 JPS project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 JPS project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad to see you have found another project at last, I'm sure it will be lavished upon.

But as you usually move your vehicles on eventually would it not be a shame to vary it away from its originality.

As a commemorative edition originality is surely more appreciated when the time comes to move on.

🙂

chipp

• Thanks 1

With only 12000 miles on the clock, and it looks to have been dry stored, it will be interesting to see the original paint quality underneath the dust. I reckon it might not need painting or the decals replaced.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I agree about originality so will retain the parts removed and the federal number plate plinth would be easy to add back by just cutting the square hole in the rear panel again, the rear US impact bumper is pretty tired anyway as is the lower spoiler with the grill. I think perhaps the key is to keep it LHD as lots of the RHD JPS have made their way to Europe.

The car is currently running on Webber’s carbs rather than strombergs but was on DHLA which he’s providing me. I may remove the Air pump as see little use for it here but retain it for any future keeper.

A0C79DB9-D888-44B8-B161-849E34AB9645.thumb.jpeg.34497b5a2bb1fcb487667ee2a617717a.jpeg

I have an original S2 Airbox already

68003C0B-95F7-49A3-AF80-71725E6C49D6.thumb.jpeg.89327e1dd5cf79e7746d2f4b14fb7857.jpeg96FDC5F8-24ED-422E-A51C-FC37FF49EDD7.thumb.jpeg.b8cd9e254833ebad093c6a22f19c2463.jpeg

Chris, Unfortunately I know the car has a few gel cracks although the worst is on a Cant rail so I’ve ordered a new one from SJ ready. Hopefully I won’t have to paint the whole car but if so Neil at Thompson’s who painted my mini and both Fabian’s cars will get the job. Just driving it as a survivor car does have appeal not needing to be precious about it when parked up.

419D0ED9-669A-4288-8EFC-B8A3A257D84F.jpeg.02daea07d578414f731a1b4c098eaf24.jpeg

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

They don't look like gel coat cracks to me, more like paint contamination. Why buy new cant rails? You can just sand or grind away any defects & repair them.

Also, those red, plastic carb spacers aren't standard, as far as I'm aware Lotus have only every used aluminium spacers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers,

John W

John I agree with the Cant rail probably only being paint but as I was getting the bumpers and rear spoiler made along with plinth I can just drop these off for paint before the car arrives and fix those issues quickly. I am happy doing bodywork but the cost was reasonable against my time and if through to the gel along the whole panel it would be a pain and with added risk of some returning. I no doubt will rub it down and use it again in the future. 
The car has been converted from Stromberg to DHLA in the past so probably what the shop fitted in the US, it’s now on the Webber’s and runs well so I will rebuild the DHLA and fit in the future.

I never got the answer about the clutch being stuck or free so very likely one of the first jobs will be to pull the engine and box then sorting the belts, hoses and anything suspected of leaking along with a good clean up and clutch I suspect.
Hopefully the exhaust manifold is ok otherwise a full stainless system will go in.

Fuel tanks.... Let’s see what I find but no matter what they are coming out for inspection and clean before use. 

I am hoping to keep it as a running resto really as doing the body off again consumes so much space. (Not discounting it though) 

How did you arrange to pay for this Dave? Was it a case of just paying a complete stranger a big wad of cash in the hope that they would send you a car?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Paul

Yes that’s it so was a gamble but after a lot of email exchange and the fact the seller worked for Lockheed Martin helped as I work with lots of people from LMUK. 
Was I concerned, yes a little but sometimes you just go with your gut along with the fact Roo provided the contact who I definitely trust.

I am pleased now it’s finally collected and on route to the container yard for packing but in all fairness the seller was very helpful and stopped the hauliers when he felt the car was going to get damaged so fair play.

If it wasn’t for the lockdown I probably would have taken a flight out to Alabama.

The money exchange was a real challenge as had to use a intermediary bank as the sellers never took international transfers, this was a whole day of phone calls and emails.

I imported a Mondial years ago which was far easier as bought from a dealer who did the US leg work for me.

I don’t think I will fully settle until it’s through customs and ready for collection in the U.K.

36306669-3400-4C8D-86B2-9FB93EEBC35E.jpeg.8914a2470b956601cb208bdf61252466.jpeg

Does anyone know what the brown cover is for?

It really does look a nice one @LOTUSMAN33 Dave - you must be both anxious but pretty damn excited all at the same time. I remember that feeling well😰😄....but I had at least seen mine in person before getting it transported as a non-runner from Essex to mine. So hat’s off to you and I hope it’s all you want it to be. When is due to hit this side of the pond?

• Like 1

Im really please for you. I remember waiting for my S1 to arrive. I was checking where the container was every day! It was frustrating sometimes to see it still in the same dock loading /unloading . Did you insure it for its journey? I did although it was a bit expensive. Someone told me that worldwide, one container is lost every day! Thank goodness it wasn't mine. And lets hope it isn't yours!! Lots of photos when it arrived.

• Like 1

Yes all insured, it’s not moved in the last week though online so I will chase next week to find out what’s happening. 
I imported a Ferrari Mondial years ago so understand the process reasonably well 👍🏻
Yours is coming on quite nicely Lez 😉

Roo, that’s lovely, who owns that beauty?

• Like 1

Been informed the US ports are taking a couple weeks longer than normal to process the cars through customs 🙄

I assume this is due to Covid and allowing waiting time before touching cars or even staff shortages.

The shipping company is chasing but out of their control it seems. 
On the bright side it gives me time to tidy the garage and repaint the walls 😉

On 21/06/2020 at 08:53, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Saw this on Facebook, now wouldn’t this look great sat next to the JPS in my garage 😍

Are you old enough to remember that advert with the Carlos Fandango wheels Dave? 

• Haha 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Brilliant, not seen that one Paul but a massive fan of cigar adverts 👍🏻👍🏻

I used to really look forward to them in the 80’s, one of my favourites was;

Probably partly why I do what I do for a living now 😉