Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 JPS project - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 JPS project

Yeah, often overlooked in restoration threads. Mine included, though generally in good shape, the plywood on the back of mine had torn away where it had been bolted on to the body. Probably quite common, but a simple task to bond new sections in and reattach brackets.

• Like 1

A slight hijack, 

My bumper looks sound on the outside but has bits of loose ply in the cavity inside. Loathe to cut it open as the mounts seem OK and was just going to clear it out at this stage and reattach. Is that recommended?

• Like 1

One might hope that bumpers on an Esprit on relatively vestigial, something by which to appease the nabobs of public well-being. It's been far too long since driving a Lotus but it seemed my Elan commanded a certain sympathy from the hordes when parked. Do they not afford respect to flash old cars these days in the UK?

• Like 1

Not in shopping centre car parks @drdoom

Especially with today's oversized cars in UK parking spots. Park your car at your peril! Or socially distance as I tend to do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAV7TukBqBb/?igshid=qa8b56gk06im

And the size our of tiny parking spots.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIn8xIohJXx/?igshid=4c91g7xgzhta

But after 40+ years on a wooden and fibreglass structure it's not surprising things fall apart. Knocks or no knocks.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

Undersized parking slots should be afforded due respect, that is to say f#$k them and the arseholes who decree they be laid out as such. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to cut an access hole in the O/S front luggage compartment, ideally the plug would be on the N/S but being LHD the brake servo is in the way for access Fabian. 
Due to having A/C with a short radiator the access is ok, don’t think it would be the case on my S1 though so the vent plug will have to be near the top on the side of the header when I get that radiator re-cored.

I will post some pics when done, I thought about an extension pipe with it protruding into the front luggage compartment but would have to make something to protect from damage. I will fit a rubber grommet either way I go. 
Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Justin, great to hear from you, hope IB10 is going well?

The S3 is a fantastic choice for an Esprit and will provide a very different drive to the sublime M100’s.

I would love to have popped along with you as well, hope it works out well!

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Yes doing well thanks Dave. Can’t remember if I’ve told you, Wifie and I did a six week drive to and around Italy in IB10 in 2019 (documented in an issue of club lotus). Wow what an incredible experience, can’t wait for the world to get back to normal for another trip.  I’ve really loved ownership and can’t see me letting it go. It was used as the model example in the ‘one of every model’ display at the Lotus 70th celebration ( thanks to the fellas at LEC). Parked up at the paddock at Hethel and met Dave Monument and Stuart in IB10 about 10ft away from the place he picked it up when he bought it for ESM in 1996!

I've had a burning desire to get a G Esprit for over 30 years. Came close a few time but determined now! But wow your JPS 

Edited by JusNoGood
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking tricky in the UK Dave. There's a few Esprit folk in the North East who have been looking around. I prefer Maxxis, but I'm not sure you can get them in the sizes required for all round. @bondbaby and Paul Clapham both have tales to tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents, I’ve been looking at Maxxis and Nankangs so seems I’ll be in safe hands. I would really like a matched set but looking online that seems to be a fruitless search. Shame these sizes aren’t really support that well these days with the correct speed ratings.

• Like 2