Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Finally, Restoration Begins! - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Finally, Restoration Begins!

Hey Buddsy! Yes is a never ending story... can’t understand how people can reassemble an Esprit in a couple of months... nothing fits as original  but maybe I’m too maniac about details? 😜

• Haha 1

Add my compliments to those posted above, the streets of Torino are soon to be graced by a rare beauty! Very well done, Giorgio.

Giorgio, if you wish to invert your main bean warning lamp so that it is right way up it can be done without much trouble. With lamp removed you can push the thin plastic lenses from behind with the eraser (soft) end of a pencil far to enough to insert a fingernail or small instrument which will allow the lenses to be plucked out. They are quite flexible so it's then an easy matter to orient correctly and bend with fingertips to permit reinsertion. FWIW.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes it's coming...I hope next week first start... I had nightmare times fitting radiator-assembly-pipes-fans-spoiler-front grille-horns-wiring etc as as always nothing fits as it should and not a single hole for fixing was right...

update soon with pics.

G.

• Like 1

Hi guys, lot of work past month and very happy to see all my shiny parts mounted on my babe. Needs to connect all the wiring in the engine bay, fill the cooling system, the fuel tanks and I will try to start after more than 10 years of sleeping... Finger crossed, I will make a video of the first start!

G.

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is going to be stunning when finished as the attention to detail is impressive! Remember to turn he steering wheel round though as it’s currently upside down unless of course this is the preferred way?

• Like 1

Well done excellent. If you haven't done so make sure the PRV in the oil pump housing is working, closed and the channel is clean. Even if you have to take the pump off. Make sure the pump is ll in spec. Take all the spark plugs out and turn ot over, if no oil pressure dont start it! Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Well done excellent. If you haven't done so make sure the PRV in the oil pump housing is working, closed and the channel is clean. Even if you have to take the pump off. Make sure the pump is ll in spec. Take all the spark plugs out and turn ot over, if no oil pressure dont start it! Good luck!

yes Fabian thanks for your tip, I'm reading your topic and I'm very sad for your problem. Rotor and annulus are new and everything has been cleaned and checked, I hope to read some oil pressure when cranking without spark and with the fuel pump disconnected, finger crossed...

Copia di 024-1.jpeg

• Like 1

You must check the pump clearance with plastiguage. Its posible to have wear on the auxilery housing that is difficult to see. You can check the rest with feeler guages. Although, with the new rotors sometimes they are stiff to turn in which case the clearance is possibly ok, but too stiff and it needs two gaskets. Im sure you have done all this, just dont want you to end up doing all again as you have done such a nice job! Final tip pack the pump with graphogen grease. This is what I did it helps to build pressure. In my case it didn't because the PRV was stuck open! I look forward to seeing a video of your running engine, sweet as a nut! 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

I'm rebuilding the replacement  auxilery housing Andy gave me with a new rotor and annulus and new seals. The auxillery shaft is lubricated from the pump as well. The pump is very simple oil from the pick up pipe in and out of the other hole into the gallery. The small outlet hole sits against the block and does nothing. The prv connects the inlet and outlet when its open. This reduces the pressure. 

Giorgio, have a read of this as had issues with oil pressure after my build, if your body isn’t fixed yet it is worth removing the belt and spinning the engine over with a Allen key bit in the pulley with a drill. The pressure builds quite quickly and really travels through the oil-ways.

Lovely standard of workmanship on your build, it looks superb and in a rare colour too.

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try!