Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cleaning injectors - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cleaning injectors

stevefh

Hi all, on YouTube I have never seen anyone stand the injector ends in carb cleaner for a time to remove deposits before using a gizmo to spray through them.This would seem to be obvious, so would doing this cause any problems.?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve,

Wouldn't cause any problems but IMO, not a very effective way to clean them.

Better to operate them with the cleaner going through them.

TBH, a few seconds is all it takes with the right cleaning setup.

Andy.

Wouldn’t it make sense to reverse flush first unlike most videos? I ask about the filter ( also other parts made of plastics) in case immersion for a length of time in the Holts carb cleaner might cause damage ,as it says on the can “avoid using on wires and connectors “

I found that injector cleaner didn't work well, the spray pattern was still pretty bad, and carb cleaner shouldn't be used on injected vehicles.

So I used automatic transmission flush worked much better and very fast. This brand has 

"Lubegard 19001 Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen Trasmission Line Flush, 13.25 oz."

I used a wire harness that I made with a push button to actuate the injector, and an injector cleaning kit from ebay.

Universal-Fuel-Injector-Flush-Cleaner-Adapter-DIY-Kit-Car-Cleaning-Tool-Nozzle

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Travis, for what reason should carb cleaner not be used as this was on YouTube?Also the small bracket holding in the secondary injectors in your photo is the opposite way up to how I found mine and also appears to be in the parts diagram and you don’t seem to have the ties that act as spacers.

It says on the carb cleaner can not to use on injected engines...

Carb cleaner is "acetone, tolulene, and carbon dioxide"

Transmission flush is "Petroleum distilates, Stoddard Solvent, isopropyl alcohol, and carbon dioxide" and is supposed to be harmless to rubber seals and the filter.

Acetone can melt rubber and plastic.

You are correct, that old photo of my bracket was on backwards. If I remember correctly I took that photo to send to a friend who had bought RC injectors that are shorter than the injectors that I use.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I understand why you may want to do this yourself but it's not hugely expensive to get the injectors professionally cleaned with a set of results. 🙂

It's getting there......

@TAR> I once went to a shop (in France) and the guy told me they only did diesel injectors and that they needed to ship them somewhere anyway, so ... Maybe I was out of luck. Anyway now I have a ultrasonic cleaner so I will probably do it myself anyway.

Any cross reference about the filter baskets and o-ring seals? (I already asked it a few days ago there https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/111473-rochester-fuel-injectors-o-ring-seals-and-filters/ but had no answers yet :d — when I come to think to it maybe it's not posted in the proper section anyway, to me it was related to the induction but ...)

Edited by Giniw
  • Like 1

Hi, tested resistance of Oe secondary injectors, both about 13 ohms not 16.

Used my gizmo to clean them.First cleaned well to give good even spray.The other initially cleaned to give a good spray pattern but on about the 6th sequence I built up the pressure and the solenoid valve leaked and sporadically leaked after that.So beware.

My engine is stock. I have just put in RC PL2-0370 primaries.2.5ohms compared Oe 2ohms and seemed the same size .

I am thinking of using RC SL4-0205 as the replacement.  Rochester(GM)are 190cc,128Hz,16ohm,   RC are 205cc,12.5ohm,Hz?  Has anyone used these?Are they the same size?       What difference does the specifications make? I am keen to understand this.

Can you recommend an alternative that you have experience of.Bosch,other.

If you are going to use the RC SL4-205 injectors with a lower impedance you have to modify the ballast resistor which is in series with the secondary injectors.

This resistor limits the current so the quad driver in de ECU doesn't get fried. The RC ones are about 3.5 ohms less in impedance as the original ones. Because the secondary injectors are parallel connected the total impedance is 1.75 ohms less compared to the original setup.

As the original ballast resistor is 3.3 ohms (10 watts AFAIK) it needs to be replaced with a 5 ohm one. Just buy a couple of 4.7 ohm and 5.6 ohm (normal tolerance is 10%) ones and test/measure them and use the closest match. Another solution is to buy 2 10 ohm ones and mount them in parallel. (if there is enough room in the ballast resistor housing).

Esprit Freak