Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS Project - Page 14 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Project

35 minutes ago, JonSE said:

Will you trim the main dashboard in situ or is it coming out to do that? 

Interested as I’m about a year behind you in the rebuild!

Scrub that question, it’s the upper GRP dash I’m looking at! 

Jon 

Dash is done,  but that and a few other parts are back at the trimmers for some tweaks ... for example I missed that the inner upper part of the binnacle wasn't trimmed , the glovebox lid was a bit tight and there was no stitching on the window / choke bit . All my mistakes . I need to trim the upper dash too . 

• Like 2

Bet they are never truly finished Dave! 

I was going to just paint the dash top matte black but it’s been suggested to trim it as it will look better. Makes sense while access is so good I expect…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonSE said:

Bet they are never truly finished Dave! 

I was going to just paint the dash top matte black but it’s been suggested to trim it as it will look better. Makes sense while access is so good I expect…

Curious on this discussion, do we speak of the large GRP bit enclosing the scuttle beam side-side when using the term, "dash"? Regarding the pod inner aperture surface, the upper underside in other words, it was only matte black painted on my S2. Encouraging to see progress on these S2, only just lately having opportunity to resume work on 7807/0100S.

Cheers

4 hours ago, drdoom said:

Curious on this discussion, do we speak of the large GRP bit enclosing the scuttle beam side-side when using the term, "dash"? Regarding the pod inner aperture surface, the upper underside in other words, it was only matte black painted on my S2. Encouraging to see progress on these S2, only just lately having opportunity to resume work on 7807/0100S.

Cheers

Yes , the S2 I looked at last week had the upper element of the pod uncovered . But I'd already thought I'd made a mistake by leaving it like that and it is already back at the trimmers . I imagine it wasn't covered as it isn't seen .

5 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Who's doing your steering wheel?  My Elite wheel is rather tired as well.  

Thanks

Pete

Pete 

Paul Darby , PD Steering wheels in Walsall . He's been on some of the car related TV programmes - Salvage Hunters or Car SOS or similar . 

I'll take pre and post pics . 

Whilst it would be nice to keep the wheel original , the leather is really tired and I'm not really bothered about original for the  sake of original - some cars I've seen that do so just look , well, a bit crap ...  and the gear knob I bought off ebay anyway ,as I didn't have one .. 

Actually I think the previous owners must have gather lots of bits from various cars as I have 4 pistons , 2 heads , the original engine , 2 steering columns ( one that isn't Lotus ) , several light pod motor brackets  but lots of missing parts 

Regarding the dash - there are no fixings between the dash and the gear leaver surround /radio  element of the tunnel and the actual dash - anyone have any pics of how these join and also how the radio is supported . ??

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Those emojis are rubbish. It looks more like "oh dear" or something. 

Referring to the lots of missing parts comments.

I think most of us taking cars from pretty poor nick to kike new have those kind of problems. Mine was pretty original and complete, but I still needed some tricky to find parts. It took me 4 years to find one item, but it was worth it when I did.

Sadly some of those tricky items aren't carried by suppliers though. But parts from those suppliers are generally very good. Including the remanufactured items.

In the Service Parts manual the term "facia assembly" refers to the larger GRP detachable portion of the dashboard. Attached pic shows what appear to have been pop rivet connections between the facia and the radio/gear lever section, on the vertical edges outboard of the face level vents as I see it. The radio seems to have been attached to the lesser bit via its tuner and volume control pots.

IMG_0690.JPG

By fascia I was referring to what the Veglia cluster sits behind, or whatever the gauges are mounted in. It was pretty obvious.

Sadly I am not going to dig out my parts manual every time I make a post. Particularly on a Saturday evening.

The radio head units of old were attached by their spindles through the dash, in the Esprit the centre console bit. Often with a bracket attached to the back of the unit via a protruding stud bolt. But I'm sure you must be familiar with that.

10 hours ago, drdoom said:

In the Service Parts manual the term "facia assembly" refers to the larger GRP detachable portion of the dashboard. Attached pic shows what appear to have been pop rivet connections between the facia and the radio/gear lever section, on the vertical edges outboard of the face level vents as I see it. The radio seems to have been attached to the lesser bit via its tuner and volume control pots.

IMG_0690.JPG

Thanks Dr Doom - do you have pics of the 2 pieces that go round the steering column ? Mine have no attachment bits ...

OK will dial-in shortly and send you some before and after photos of the steering column cowls. They're finished in Nextel now of course. Yours must be in leather or something. I'm no expert on JPS. Though the best interior and steering wheel of all Esprits IMO.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2023 at 20:08, Fridge said:

You can clean up the plastic button of the joystick using Polytrol if that's all the problem with it is.

I can probably clean-up the mirror joystick but the changeover switch black finish and l/r label is damaged . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

I can probably clean-up the mirror joystick but the changeover switch black finish and l/r label is damaged . 

If it looks a little grey I would spay it with satin black. it'll come up well. Though these are available I think.

The mirror switch does seem to rust and I'm not sure they are available. You could rub down, de-rust, spray and use a decal.