Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Steve Cropley has bought an Elan - M100 Elan - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Steve Cropley has bought an Elan

jonwat

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

M100 is a stunner, especially the drive and most notably in the wet. 

I hope to get one to rag, just like @Bazza 907 

My 26,000 miler is too clean and too special for me to own long-term. I just want to drive it more and more but that don't seem right for that particular M100.

Justin

The dad of one of our good school friends bought one new: a red SE Turbo with grey (half?) leather. He had it delivered and tucked away in his garage for months, because he didn’t want to register it until the new “H” plates came out. Eventually H2LAN saw the light of day, but not very often because he barely used it. His daily driver was a Merc 190E 2.6 auto, which shifted pretty well. Anyway I only went in the Elan once with the owner’s son at the wheel. It was phenomenal: I remember a series of bends near their home like Becketts/Maggots at Silverstone and he barely slowed down for them. The road-holding/grip was astonishing. The son’s normal car was a Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9, which was pretty damn good, but the Elan was another level up entirely in performance. It’s always surprised me how under-valued they’ve always been.

I just did a quick DVLA MOT check. H2LAN’s last test expired in 2018. It seems to have piled on the miles after my friend’s dad sold it and reached 90,000 in 2006, but not done much since.

• Like 2

M100 was just too expensive when new, compared to the good but mainly average MX-5.

And those wanting a classic Lotus fix sans roof tend to go for Elise S1 or S2, rather than M100. Who can blame them?

A bit like Excel - Esprit is the pin-up boy, Excel gets (wrongly) ignored. As Esprit prices rise, Excel is very slowly getting pulled up with it. Just as Ferrari 400/Mondial have as other F words moved up in value.

Dive in whilst you can, I say. Excels and M100 are very under-valued.

Justin

I'd probably put Elise as my favourite Lotus drive. Close run to Evora. Perhaps M100 next but S3 Esprit hard to resist. Lotus 7....ah, not driven one. That is one big hole in my Lotus education that needs correcting.

Justin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28/01/2021 at 20:39, yeller77 said:

Recently posted on the REVS-Limiter facebook page, good stuff with Steve Cropley and Peter Stevens.

www.facebook.com/adam.gompertz/videos/10164715015780577

Just watched this.  Some great background stuff from Peter Stevens.  Thanks for posting the link. 👍

• Like 2

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 3 months later...

Cropley update :driving:

cropley_lotus_elan_m100.jpg?itok=Mry3fVL

Given the indifferent efforts of its driver, my recently acquired Lotus M100 received surprising plaudits at a recent Prescott meeting for its looks, its colour and especially its non-standard multi-spoke 17in wheels.

I fielded lots of enquiries about those. I’m told they’re from a Rover, but does anyone know which one?

Cheers,

John W

Seen those wheels on another M100, they look like the 17" straights fitted to zr/zs (not zt as they are 5 stud). Assuming the info I found was correct about the pcd of the M100.  Although the offset is different. Both my zr's and my zs use the 17" straights.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

Definitely the same car (same registration number).  Now sold according to the Paul Matty web site.

Paul Matty ad

Already sold :ermm:

Cheers,

John W

• 7 months later...