Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 74 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

No.  I was symptomatic too early by their calculations.  There's a very high-confidence antibody test out there now, but still not enough known as to how antibodies will behave.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, mayevora said:

Has anyone here been Tested yet?

Had a letter arrive in the post yesterday with an NHS stamp on the envelope. Opened it and it said I’ve been randomly chosen to do a Covid19 Test. If I want to I need to go online and register (did that) and a home testing kit arrived today.

First thing it said was before testing go online again and book the Courier (no charge) to pick it up. Do Test (instructions and utube tutorials) put in fridge in sealed container/sealed bag/sealed box and wait for Courier to pick up.

Although all very simple to do and no idea how many people will be/have been picked like this, or been to a drive in test, half of me thinks great, that’s that done but these tests for everyone are only as correct/good as the day they are done. 
Obviously nothing to say I might catch it tonight.

The NHS staff and high risk should be having this Test ideally every week.

My wife got a letter for one of those 4-5 days back, its not turned up yet but she has registered for it.

• Like 1

I see that there has been a spike in Coronavirus cases in France after the schools have re-opened https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/france-70-new-coronavirus-cases-schools-a4444061.html

Of course, its OK for people to sit at home, drinking their alcohol, smoking their tobacco, scoffing their faces with chocolate and honing up on their 'D.I.Y' skills - whilst arrogantly slagging off teachers for being cautious about returning - but its another thing for them to return themselves and have to deal with people (including children) who are unlikely to follow social distancing guidelines.

What's worse is the hypocrisy when those people who complain of a negative outlook of those at risk, then frequently display a 'can't do' attitude on other matters themselves.

Whilst I think people, and kids, do need to get back to work and school, I think those people do have a right to question and query about the precautions being taken to ensure their safety - we're talking about people's lives.

Edited by KAS-118
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

I see that there has been a spike in Coronavirus cases in France after the schools have re-opened https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/france-70-new-coronavirus-cases-schools-a4444061.html

Another wonderfully misleading headline, in the article it says the French Education Minister Jean Blanquer told radio station RTL '... that it is likely the infections took place outside of schools, given the long incubation period for coronavirus.'

Surely that in itself is misleading - incubation period is identified as being between 2 and 14 days. I would have said a potential period of 2 days is rather quick myself.

• Like 1

@sailorbob I'm not sure the 'headline' is misleading.

Ads explained in this Article https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/70-cases-of-covid-19-at-french-schools-days-after-reopening-1.4943908 the spike occurred a week after the 1/3rd of the school children went back - the same minister said that the return "has put some children in new danger of infection" and he immediately closed the infected schools.

Yes - he did say it was "likely" they were infected before the opening of the schools - because he purported the incubation period of CV was long. However, that reasoning doesn't make sense as the incubation period is considered to be 2 to 10 days https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-incubation-period - and the NHS advice that it can take UPTO 14 days for the symptoms to appear. 

So the fact that these infections occurred within a week of the return actually fits in with the above. 

@march - sorry posted at the same time as yours. Yes, a cynic could say that the French Government were trying to avoid responsibility by purporting there's a long incubation period - when in fact probable that the return did cause a spike.

France has had even a tougher lockdown than the UK, if the kids were all at home how did they get the virus beforehand?

Edited by KAS-118

The WHO state the incubation period is on average 5 - 6 days but can take up to 14 days. It is also generally accepted that publicly reported cases may over represent severe cases and therefore the incubation period for which may differ from that of mild cases.

I ask you this, examine who is claiming there is a spike. Look at the infection rates and monitoring undertaken before the return to school and see if you come to the same conclusion.

• Like 1

@sailorbob - from the news articles it appears the French Government minister identified the spike on Monday - by confirming the 70 cases linked to schools.

As its reported as a 'spike' then that suggests there was an increase. Clearly, as the schools weren't open prior to them being opened then you wouldn't have had any infections at schools.

There were 492 new cases on 18 May, compared to 456 on 11 May. Given that the infection rate was supposed to be reducing - I would have thought that was something to be concerned about?

2 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

France has had even a tougher lockdown than the UK, if the kids were all at home how did they get the virus beforehand?

Don't know about France, but around here teenagers seem to think that they are immune, with albeit smallish groups of up to half a dozen meeting up in parks and clearly not social distancing. Really frustrating as it is these simple things that are going to elongate this mess.

Daughters school is asking for parents opinions as to whether comfortable to send kids back.

• Love 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

@Colin P - yeah, went to the Supermarket yesterday and as you say - teenagers do appear to consider they are immune.

However, not o be 'agest' 🙂 whilst I was in Marks & Spence patiently waiting for a woman to move so I could get some mushrooms another. 'older' women waving a mask just brushed past me with less than an inch between us.

You try and follow guidance and recommendations...but unfortunately others don't. 

Statistics, don't you just love them. You can make them support whatever point you want to get across depending on how you present them. Amazing how many "facts" are made up from flawed assumptions/conclusions fuelled by Statistics.

Just yet another symptom of political point scoring, this time in France.

According to the British Heart Foundation 460 people will die today from Heart/circulatory Disease. around 170,000 per year. 7.4m are currently a ticking time bomb with the disease.

According to Cancer research 450 people die in the UK each day from Cancer. That's around 165,000 a year.

So statistically, you could argue if you were so inclined that (just based on stats) you can self isolate at home and you will be more likely to die from something other than Covid19, but specifically a heart/circulatory/cancer issue.

And statistically, you can go have BBQ's with your mates in the park and you'd still be more likely to die from something other than Covid19 if you choose the present the statfacts in that way.

Stats. Bollocks. Bullshit - not much between them really. 

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Stats. Bollocks. Bullshit - not much between them really. 

Hah, that reminded me, last night I had to put a quiz together for my teams weekly virtual pub quiz. I just had to include the question:

Who has the lowest IQ, a Moron and Imbecile or an idiot

There is actually a god honest true answer!! :hrhr:

• Haha 1

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

@Colin P - you should slip in the question - 'Are you a narcissist?'

The answer may be very revealing 🙂

Actually, I'm doing a Quiz tonight - I'll think I'll ask that one; its bound to stump them 👍

I can suggest answers that are not on that list that would be even lower than the lowest! However for your quiz I believe it was the latter, the idiot!

From reading this forum I have realised that my village was not the only one that had lost its idiot!     :)

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Correct: Idiot (according to early 20th century psychology definitions: moron IQ range 51 to 70, imbecile 26 to 50, and idiot 0 to 25)

• Gold FFM

And there I was thinking 45 referred to an ordinal.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

10 hours ago, Colin P said:

these simple things are going to elongate this mess.

Some of the young see it as an old persons disease,  and that if it spreads quickly through the population,  that will shorten the mess.

Of course it will make it a lot messier, but if the alternative iis lving out our lives under the threat of a plague, with no end in sight,  i see their point.

I was a punk rocker, and humanity has survived plagues before. I see their point. Doesn't mean I agree with it though. 🤔