Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 172 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

13 hours ago, NeilP said:

With this new variant now identified, we have a delay until science can understand how effective the current set of vaccines will be against severe illness and worse. 

Death rates are low for covid (related), I just wish the govt would show the age groups for those daily infections - the rate has been 40k plus for a while now, so  would be interesting to correlate age groups of infection vs the death.

I’m all for protecting ourselves from infection, but as Barry said above does mask wearing really help (sorry if that provokes further debate) when infection rates still climbed.

The vast majority of cases are in the young <20y and most deaths still in the old >55y

Breakdown of case rates by age group etc is all on the ONS website

Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest insights - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Mask wearing is proven to be beneficial against casual contact, but less so for prolonged contact. Hence it works well in shops, passing people in public areas, but is less so in prolonged contact such as the classroom, office etc where even with a mask the local environment gets saturated with virions.

12 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

It’s frankly utter bollocks - in a school of 1500 kids not one has died of covid in the last 2 years. They also have to test twice weekly.

what next - taking PREP just in case of exposure to HIV?

But reducing spread at school reduces subsequent onward transmission to family and at risk relatives. The second highest cases by age range are the 25-35 year olds, who are the parents of the kids that take it home.

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Worked really well when the kids were home schooled didnt it @andydclements. Oh hang on - no cases rose exponentially anyway even though schools and shops were shut.

Cases fell during lockdowns

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, march said:

Our neighbour died of Covid 19 last week. Mind you he was 95.

Well he got to a good age, he may have had some underlying health issus which made any infection worse.

When we go shopping today will start to wear the FFP3   masks instead of the basic ones, to try them out as I bought a couple a few months ago.

• Like 1

The cases identified in Scotland overnight do not have links to SA travel. This suggests community transmission is already happening. 

As with delta tracing and isolation had very little effect. It MAY have slowed things down a bit but the reality is that if 'omicron' is more transmissible than 'delta' it will rapidly overwhelm it. In SA in some regions 'omicron' has gone from zero to 80% in 3 weeks against 'delta'. The fact that 61 people on the plane into Holland were PCR positive (doesn't mean they were shedding virus) shows that the virus is totally endemic now and travel restrictions will make no difference to spread long term. 

If we are to avoid any more drastic actions to preserve healthcare then vaccination is the ONLY thing that can help.

The next thing will be certain groups of people saying the virus is all because of circles, the "proof" will be the name of the next variant (Pi) and the fact the virus is ball-shaped, so they'll be saying we need to burn/ destroy all ball-shaped objects, it's about as logical as the "It's caused by 5th Generation mobile signals".

• Like 1

Yes this does have a certain sense of deja vu doesn’t it? Media and public getting all worked up about where each individual UK case of a new variant appears. Wuhan in York, Alpha in Kent, Delta via flights from India. All of these ended up infecting thousands per day after not too long a time.

48 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

... compromised by the Earth's rollout of 5G. The electro magnetic waves from the 5G transmitters creating a "masking effect" ....

That just reminded me of this woman and her deranged ideas.

• Confused 1

You can't argue with f'wits and idiots.  My simple solution would be to pick her up, and drop her off on a remote Scottish Island with no technology and just leave her to get on with her life in her idea of a Utopian Society, or something akin to a medieval lifestyle.  Thankfully, she'd have no internet, phone service etc so she couldn't also influence anyone else. Nirvana.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 20/11/2021 at 04:11, Barrykearley said:

Frankly the authorities are a disgrace - uk and worldwide.

everyone is loosing sight of the 99.97% survival rate of covid and thinking we have some sort of mad zombie apocalypse Ebola virus going round.

in uk nightclubs folks are up in arms because people are being spiked - yet in Austria - they are mandating compulsory vaccination on citizens.

come the revolution - when the virus will wipe us all out 🙄

Won’t be long and those who have had 4 jabs will be blaming those who’ve only had 3 for not being able to go on holiday. 

Governments across nations are pitting folks against each other and causing division.

My take differs fundamentally. Sure, this virus is not Ebola i.e. not broadly and acutely deadly. That said, I have heard accounts of its virulence from a number of acquaintances that are certainly noteworthy. The most recent from one whose fully vax'd mate had been mildly ill while 30 year old son is in an induced coma on a ventilator, gobbling up highly valuable IC facilities because, like the rest of our anti-vax genii, he knows better. If he survives it may be a markedly diminished future ahead as this bug has shown persistent tendency to deliver residual effects.

As to government accountability for the lurid divisions it is my view that laying blame there is pitifully short of the mark. It's hard not to correlate CV rebellion with such matters as the Jan. 6 insurrection at Washington, or neo-Nazi movements everywhere for that matter. I believe these all to be reflective of the population segments with underlying inability to sensibly cope with a world in which anxiety is ubiquitous. I imagine '30's Germany was rather fundamentally comparable, and though blaming Herr H for what eventually transpired has been the popular and convenient thesis I find it ludicrous to dismiss the masses as not straight up accountable. What government must be accountable for is maintaining the underpinnings of civil society, high on the list being the delivery of health care. In Canada, we have a not-for-profit system similar to the UK's NHS and this is administered to be as close to the "just in time delivery" model as can be achieved. The emergence of pandemic would inevitably have shed light on this fact, though many choose not to see.

Cheers   

• Like 1

I see the Germans are now going to stop the un vaccinated going to some shops...

Covid: Germany puts major restrictions on unvaccinated. Mind you they have a history of excluding some people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59502180

• Gold FFM

Utterly repugnant - that’s frankly plain wrong.

people have the freedom to choose. If they choose not to have a jab - then that is their choice.

• Like 1

Only here once

Have to disagree. You choose to not be jabbed you put other people at risk if you decide to mingle.

Extreme example is you have HIV but decide not to wear a condom as it's your right to have the freedom to choose 

Yes extreme example, but explain to me the difference.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

It’s plain wrong to insist people have an IV administered  drug or any for that matter. 
This isn’t bubonic plague - it’s not Ebola - it’s something with over 99% survival rate. 
Vaccines aren’t long term proven nor tested. It’s just wrong for one persons rights to overrule another’s.

if someone wants a jab - then crack on - they are then protected. All this media pishe painting folks whom don’t have jabs as potential serial killers is ridiculous - as let’s face it - the only person at risk is the one who hasn’t had the jab.

the person whom hasn’t had the jab also hasn’t exposed themselves to the risk of a blood clot either - and there’s no shortage of women whom chose not to take the contraceptive pill due to this.

what next - all vegans must eat steak? 

15 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Extreme example is you have HIV but decide not to wear a condom as it's your right to have the freedom to choose 

That’s oh so very different as you are intentionally directly infecting the person. Covid is nothing like HIV.

• Like 2

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

That’s oh so very different as you are intentionally directly infecting the person. Covid is nothing like HIV.

preference in food choice is a poor comparison to the one spreading disease to the many

Think of all the injections that were necesssary over the years to attend public school. Smallpox , polio, DPT, etc.

I guess one can be a hermit and choose home schooling, but if you wish to be a member of public schooling and all it offers ...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, MJON said:

Pity we couldn’t choose not to treat them. 

Maybe time the government suggested doing that? They could also remove treatment rights for those whom are obese as well? As it’s their choice to be fat?

• Like 2

Only here once

10 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Great idea. Where do I seen to protest for this?

😁

I get your points Barry BUT the science as far as I can see supports the case for vaccinations. Maybe I should of used a less extreme example, like the HPV Vaccine for boys that helps protect girls/women from cancer.

3 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Maybe time the government suggested doing that? They could also remove treatment rights for those whom are obese as well? As it’s their choice to be fat?

Not correct Barry. Yes in my case, but some medical conditions promote weight gain, some of which can be extreme. However being fat isn't contagious or something you can transmit to someone else.

• Like 1

The small print.