Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Returning to the Lotus fold - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Returning to the Lotus fold

AndyM

You definitely need to drive a 400 and a 410. The 400 still has the supple suspension, whereas (some?) 410 have a firmer ride. Others on here can no doubt fill you on spec changes. The GT410 launched early 2020 perhaps answered that question in part but I don't know if the ride is as comforting as the older 400:

Lotus Evora GT410 review – more refined but no less fun | evo

A softer ride may be of no consequence to you, of course. 

Jamie at B&C will be more than accommodating in assisting you.

Justin

I had a 996 GT3.2 it was a car that I always wanted to try. It was a CS spec and had a few modifications done to it that were track orientated, ohlins suspension and RSS engine mounts ect.

I don't know if they are all the same but mines was so harsh on the road. The interior was always rattling and squeaking. Didn't really do it for me.

So bought a 400 and it really is so much better and more refined. The 400 also sounds fantastic.

Cheers

2 hours ago, jep said:

You definitely need to drive a 400 and a 410. The 400 still has the supple suspension, whereas (some?) 410 have a firmer ride. Others on here can no doubt fill you on spec changes. The GT410 launched early 2020 perhaps answered that question in part but I don't know if the ride is as comforting as the older 400:

Lotus Evora GT410 review – more refined but no less fun | evo

A softer ride may be of no consequence to you, of course. 

Jamie at B&C will be more than accommodating in assisting you.

Justin

Hi Justin,

Thats interesting to know.  I've only driven an early Evora, but many years ago and from memory I thought it was a little soft but that may have been in comparison to my Elise at the time.  I guess I need to do some research but has the 400 turned out to be reliable, well other than the niggles and back-ordered parts?

2 hours ago, S4S 4 said:

I had a 996 GT3.2 it was a car that I always wanted to try. It was a CS spec and had a few modifications done to it that were track orientated, ohlins suspension and RSS engine mounts ect.

I don't know if they are all the same but mines was so harsh on the road. The interior was always rattling and squeaking. Didn't really do it for me.

So bought a 400 and it really is so much better and more refined. The 400 also sounds fantastic.

Cheers

Hi John, 

I've heard many people say the 6.2 GT3 is very stiff as standard but the engine, brakes and general build quality are much better than the slightly softer 6.1.   It's interesting that you went to the 400 and found it more refined.  How does the Evora engine stack up against the Mezger?  

Evora are reliable by most accounts. Plenty of leggy early cars, 400 has a great reputation though I have yet to own one (I have a 2010 car). 

Plenty of info on this forum. There are no horrors to worry about, depending on how sensitive you are. 

Justin 

The 400 was deemed to be stiffer than the first gen and then went stiffer with the 410 sport, and gt410 sport. Then they realised they may have gone too far and I understand the gt410 is closer to the 400 in ride.

solid, usable car. In my experience, the electrics probably the weakness of the car. Eats a bit of battery if you don’t trickle it in your garage.

I have had my 400 for 4 years and still drive it as often as I can missing it after few days of stillness.

• Like 2

Hi Both,

Good to know that general reliability is ok.  

I hadn't really picked up on the GT410 / GT410 Sport variations.  But now I see there was two distinct flavours.  "How Many Left" doesn't have it as a discrete model, probably Lotus not wanting to go through the paperwork, was it just a 'Touring' option package?  I've not seen many advertised and only the GT410 Sport is listed on the Lotus website now.

With regards battery, I've had a few Porsche 987s and they are notorious for battery drain.  After a few days the car goes into sleep mode and if you are not careful the battery dies and then it is a real faff to get to the battery under the front boot or even the ignition key out of the barrel.

Welcome to TLF. I've got a CTek MX5.0 and the 'Comfort Connector' on the battery, takes 2 secs to connect if I'm going to leave the car for a while but in truth, they're such a usable car it rarely goes more than a week without being driven so the charger isn't used very much. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

18 hours ago, AndyM said:

Hi John, 

I've heard many people say the 6.2 GT3 is very stiff as standard but the engine, brakes and general build quality are much better than the slightly softer 6.1.   It's interesting that you went to the 400 and found it more refined.  How does the Evora engine stack up against the Mezger?  

I found the 400 was smoother to drive and really does give you a better sense of speed on b roads. Trying to drive the 6.2 fast on similar roads was difficult it . 

The Mezger engine is ok but I prefer the 400 for the sound.

Try and drive a 4xx you won't be disappointed.

18 hours ago, AndyM said:

Hi John, 

For my two pennies worth, in order of ride comfort / 'softness', I believe the running order is (but happy to be corrected!):

Evora N/A - test drove a few, really supple ride

Evora GT410 (where it is fitted with touring dampers) (not the 410 sport).  I've not driven this model so cannot comment for accuracy but the release notes I read suggested it was intended to hark back to the NA in terms of ride comfort

Evora S - owned.  My butt cheeks would say it was firmer than the NA with better body control. At low road speeds (below 40) it was notebly firmer than the NA but after that it was comparable, but ultimate body control was better.  The spring rates are the same but with different damper settings.

Evora 400 (test drove 1) - found it firmer than the S but not by much.  Sounded better.

Evora 410 Sport  - test drove a 410, after a days worth of driving I found it too much for my local roads as far as ride comfort was concerned, I wouldn't have been able to daily it.  However I drove one at Hethel on circuit straight out of an Exige and it felt really soft.

Evora GT410 sport (not driven, so not sure where it sits, at a guess I would say its level with 410 sport)

Evora GT430 (though the adjustable dampers, may allow it to move up and down this list) - not driven.

19 hours ago, S4S 4 said:

I found the 400 was smoother to drive and really does give you a better sense of speed on b roads. Trying to drive the 6.2 fast on similar roads was difficult it . 

The Mezger engine is ok but I prefer the 400 for the sound.

Try and drive a 4xx you won't be disappointed.

Hi John, that's very interesting thanks for your insight.  I know the Mezger really needs to be at the top rev range to feel special.  Just waiting for B&C to re-open now that it feels spring is on the way.

18 hours ago, Techyd said:

For my two pennies worth, in order of ride comfort / 'softness', I believe the running order is (but happy to be corrected!):

Evora N/A - test drove a few, really supple ride

Evora GT410 (where it is fitted with touring dampers) (not the 410 sport).  I've not driven this model so cannot comment for accuracy but the release notes I read suggested it was intended to hark back to the NA in terms of ride comfort

Evora S - owned.  My butt cheeks would say it was firmer than the NA with better body control. At low road speeds (below 40) it was notebly firmer than the NA but after that it was comparable, but ultimate body control was better.  The spring rates are the same but with different damper settings.

Evora 400 (test drove 1) - found it firmer than the S but not by much.  Sounded better.

Evora 410 Sport  - test drove a 410, after a days worth of driving I found it too much for my local roads as far as ride comfort was concerned, I wouldn't have been able to daily it.  However I drove one at Hethel on circuit straight out of an Exige and it felt really soft.

Evora GT410 sport (not driven, so not sure where it sits, at a guess I would say its level with 410 sport)

Evora GT430 (though the adjustable dampers, may allow it to move up and down this list) - not driven.

Thanks Dean, very helpful.  I am looking at the 400 / GT410 Sport but it sounds like the latter may be too much.  I don't want a daily but equally if it is too physical I know from experience that it will not get used too much.  I had a 135R which was too much with the LSS and then I made it worse on the road by fitting Nitrons - it was superb on track though.

It's really well damped for a road car. While the later cars are harder compared to the amazing, sublime and 'magic' suspension on the NA, they're a lot softer and easier on you than an Exige or Elise.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

In terms of the market place rising on the Porkers, we are seeing something similar on Lotus. I was seeing 2010 Evora's advertised below £25000 back in 2020 after initial lockdown. I just saw one advertised at £32000. Part of the reason is that statement "I just saw ONE". There are lots of newer 400's etc but NA's or S's are much rarer. 

Just do a search on lotus Evora on Autotrader and there are very few below £50k (Though the odd anomoly exists).

In terms of the newer Models, I personally would look at the 400. I heard that many of the latter ones were stiffer. Though, maybe someone can answer, didn't some of them have adjustable suspension?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Andy.

Best of luck with your search.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)