Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear suspension - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear suspension

Little mention so far on what's going on at the rear on these cars.  Multi link on is the way Porsche has been on the 911 since the 90s, everything since the 458 for Ferrari, and now McLaren have gone there with the Artura. In the press for the Evija, they make a thing about the heave damper, but I didn't see a mention of the setup of that car. For Lotus it would be new territory, and 5 link would be a big advantage over the Cayman with its all round struts.

The shots accompanying the Car and Driver Evija article posted yesterday shed a little light. In the following photo I'm not sure what I'm seeing. I'm counting 5 links, though it seems that two of those links are stacked in the vertical plain, which seems to not give resistance to horizontal forces that a true 5 link would. I don't see a torque link between the upper and lower control arms as per the 458 and s550 mustang either  https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2021-lotus-evija-prototype-140-1619536726.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*

So can anyone figure out what we're seeing here? Assuming the Evija design would be carried over to the Emira. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would assume at this stage double wishbones all round as per the Evora.  I think the Elise and Exige are the same??

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume the same. I think the Chassis evolutions are more related to more alloy castings on the front and rear substructures instead of extrusions and steel. As well as alloy and carbon fiber/plastic composite body parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Was the adjustable Nitro suspension on the leerier Exige versions an option or a standard fit?

That would be cool - or a Ferrari-esuq 'bumpy road' mode.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

My 1991 Ferrari Mondial T has 3 setting adjustable shock absorbers via a dashboard button. These sort of gimmicks usually just annoy me. Something else to go wrong. However I do use “soft” setting for our awful local roads and “medium” for pressing on. It’s not really a “hard” setting sort of car...

On 27/05/2021 at 11:30, CaptainSlow said:

Given that the Evija use Öhlins I hope that Öhlin dampers at least will be an option on the Emira. 

Umm.. There must now be a chance of this happening given the new relationship and learning experiences.

As a sports motorcyclist I am well are of Ohlins and have them on my SP2 and would not hesitate to get them on the Emira.

This might be one of the things that differentiates the 4-Cyl and the V6 or the Emira S and Emira R.

One problem is that a pair of Ohlins on a motorcycle can be a couple of grand so we could. be looking at a 4 -5k option if it is not thrown in on one of the versions.

They will also be electronically controlled, like my SP2, so settings can be employed live by the driver.

Best thing of all - they are gold coloured 😄  I'd make bespoke cut outs so I can shown them off.

Have you seen the ones on the Koniggsegg?  Wow.

• 1 month later...

In the Evija pictures, to me it looks like the diagonal bar is the push rod up to the shock absorber and that the track rod is connected to some active rear wheel stearing device not seen in the picture. So basicly it is a traditional double wishbone with RWS.

On 02/06/2021 at 07:13, Evotion said:

Umm.. There must now be a chance of this happening given the new relationship and learning experiences.

As a sports motorcyclist I am well are of Ohlins and have them on my SP2 and would not hesitate to get them on the Emira.

This might be one of the things that differentiates the 4-Cyl and the V6 or the Emira S and Emira R.

One problem is that a pair of Ohlins on a motorcycle can be a couple of grand so we could. be looking at a 4 -5k option if it is not thrown in on one of the versions.

They will also be electronically controlled, like my SP2, so settings can be employed live by the driver.

Best thing of all - they are gold coloured 😄  I'd make bespoke cut outs so I can shown them off.

Have you seen the ones on the Koniggsegg?  Wow.

Ohlins TTX were an option on Sport version of Evoras and standard on the GT430.  Nothing new here, also as you note, they are pricey.

Cool. I think they might make it to later versions.  Nothing has been mentioned about them, or much about the suspension, before.

I still have a suspicion Lotus are holding back on some things. We may be surprised by some of the specs by September.