Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wing mirror glass replacement 1990 SE - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Wing mirror glass replacement 1990 SE

Go to solution Solved by set,

Hello all,

Has anyone found a source for replacement wing mirror glass for a 1990 Esprit SE - the L/H glass on mine has come loose and cracked and SJ say they can’t supply them anymore.  It seems like it ought to be easy to get a mirror glass……but it isn’t!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The mirrors are used on numerous other marques, including Marcos and Aston Martin.  And they're of Citroën origin. Beyond that, eeek!

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks Gary….eeek indeed.  I think these particular ones are borrowed from the Citroen CX, but that is now pretty old hat too so no one has them either.

I may try a ‘cut to order’ supplier, but I thought there might be a known/reliable source out there. If (when) I get it sorted I’ll post a recommendation…..

• Gold FFM
57 minutes ago, set said:

Hello all,

Has anyone found a source for replacement wing mirror glass for a 1990 Esprit SE - the L/H glass on mine has come loose and cracked and SJ say they can’t supply them anymore.  It seems like it ought to be easy to get a mirror glass……but it isn’t!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332530805526

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372203532748

• Like 2

You’d think I’d have found that wouldn’t you….. I looked on eBay earlier for Lotus mirror replacements and only found plastic film repair types. Should have gone back to basics and searched for the Citroen one!

Thanks Ruud - TLF comes good again!

34 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Thanks too Barry - I didn’t realise they were also used on TVRs.  Mine isn’t heated though, and the eBay option is a lot cheaper! I might find it is cheaper for a reason, but worth a punt.

As above, I think all SEs have heated mirrors, they come on with the heated rear screen, so rarely used in practice.

I've broken a couple and always got a replacement from a Citroen breaker. Those are quite common in Europe.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Ah, interesting.  As long as it isn’t supposed to have wires to the glass then the one I have ordered should be fine.  I doubt I’ll  ever need the heated feature anyway as I tend to tuck the car up in the garage over the winter.

Thank for the advice everyone - I’ll let you know, when I’ve fixed the mirror, if the eBay option is good.

Normally there are 2 spades on the glass, that connect to wires in the mirror housing. They can be usefull should the glass come lose, as they'll prevent the glass from flying off and gives you a chance to save it.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I replaced my drivers side mirror which had cracked a few months ago with the ebay ones. Absolutely fine, same size as the originals and a good fit.

Mine were heated, the heating element pattern was different on the ebay ones, but actually looked superior with a denser array of heating elements. The connection spades were firmly attached to the rear of the mirror rather than being on short leads as the originals, but no issue connecting to the wires from the car. I checked it heated, which it did, but I've never had to use the heated function in anger so don't know the effectiveness.

Overall I was very satisfied. 

• Solution

Mirror arrived quickly and is an exact match.  It came with a plastic backing plate and adhesive pads - I didn’t need the backing plate as it was just the glass that had cracked.  No heating elements in the glass and no wires in the mirror body, so if it is heated it must be by some element in the mirror body that I couldn’t see?

Anyway; now fixed so I can recommend https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372203532748