Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LED Headlights, very easy - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

LED Headlights, very easy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice work on the adapter plates Sanj!

I've had several discussions in person with a local chap who has made a name in automotive lighting, wrote a comprehensive paper for our Provincial equivalent of MOT/DOT some years back. Not a fan of LED until now he nonetheless dropped by to test light a Philips H1 replacement in one of the Hella Bi-focals I'd purchased. While the light distribution was remarkably tight, the brightness and colour very crisp, we determined the "bulb" unit too long for use in the flip-up pods native to Esprit. On full LED lamp replacements his advice was to be careful as most automotive LED's have been and continue to be "cheap Chinese trinkets, with fake regulatory markings". Caveat emptor, in other words. We have also discussed the criminal neglect of beam control, or light distribution if one prefers, of even the current OEM's but typical of aftermarket as well. There are better solutions, apparently a Korean manufacturer has 5 3/4 round lamps which are up to par though perhaps not as cheap as those Amazon bits.

FWIW

I agree that the cheap versions on amazon and ebay are of questionable quality. However... they are cheap! I read reviews supposedly written by people who said they had tried the expensive ~$400+ Harley Davidson Daymaker LED headlights and then compared them to the $35 Amazon version. And they thought the amazon version was definitely as good and much more worth the $.

At $35 I can afford to buy these and try them out.

My car had the H4 E-Code non sealed bulb, originally the USA version all came with horrible sealed bulbs that had not changed since sometime in the middle of last century!  The sealed bulbs were useless on a car that can go over 30mph, and the headlights were better but not great (while blinding anyone who might see them in the 0.25s that it took for me to turn them off). SO I ended up only using the brights in the countryside.

If these LED are as much improvement as they appeared to be in my garage, and I can see any better, then I'll be very happy!

The price for the LED units including Sanj's adapter brackets, were much less than the price for the similar kit from PNM. Sanj's bracket is also backwards compatible with the original headlights!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Wish you nothing but success Travis! I'm getting to be in my cranky years, always lots to say where criticism is called for 😂, and I will remain pissed when blinded by s%^t lamps coming at me. This is the 21st century and there's no excuse for either crap technology or crap governance, FFS!

Cheers

p.s. Sanj - What's your price for the plates? Got a link to JW?

$100 per set of 4, including all hardware and shipping in the US only. Note that these are specifically for US-specification Esprits only, designed to fit the 5.75" headlight mounting bases.

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8630-evolution/

https://www.amazon.com/JW-Speaker-8630-5-75-Headlight/dp/B015ZBZMOM/

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

• Gold FFM

You can also buy just LED bulbs and fit these rather than the whole unit - this preserves the look of the older light units (if you prefer). You can buy the bulbs in either warm white or the more modern blue white. They are much much more powerful and far less current draw. I got mine from Classic Car LEDs. They are more expensive than the units above though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skiing said:

You can also buy just LED bulbs and fit these rather than the whole unit - this preserves the look of the older light units (if you prefer). You can buy the bulbs in either warm white or the more modern blue white. They are much much more powerful and far less current draw. I got mine from Classic Car LEDs. They are more expensive than the units above though. 

Interesting. I recently had highly regarded LED bulb replacements by Philips brought around and found them too long for the early Esprit pods.

• Gold FFM

These fitted easily - the power packs / transformers / black box of tricks? fit neatly into the back of the pod and the bulbs just swap over. I have bought a pair for my lancia delta as well as the headlights on that were comically woeful. 

• Gold FFM

My understanding is as long as they are dot marked then they are fine.

Led lamps in headlights however can be a fail due to pattern.

Only here once