Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Restoration of 837G - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Restoration of 837G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
11 hours ago, Alistair Enser said:

Excellent Thanks - I was also looking at the various electronic ignition retro fits . Seems like there are a lot to choose from, but seems like a good idea and invisible from the outside 

Sounds like one to research . Appreciate the pointers . ( No pun intended 🤣)

I think getting rid of the dizzy is a good move also related to possible fire sources. 

4 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

think getting rid of the dizzy is a good move also related to possible fire sources. 

I don't think that is what is being suggested or intended. Doing that is whole heap of effort, with other consequences.

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

I don't think that is what is being suggested or intended. Doing that is whole heap of effort, with other consequences.

Does going electronic delete the points ?

8 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

Does going electronic delete the points ?

Yes, but you still have an electronic circuit, so the hazard remains to an extent. However they are basically maintenance free, and being simple are inexpensive at £25 a few years ago and straightforward.

"Fit and forget" being the usual mantra.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Shims !!

So,

Latest on 837G . I have decided to strip the top end and inspect properly . There were signs of potential Head Gasket failure .

The head has been skimmed 5thou and the valves cleaned and lapped in ( seats were good ) . New core plugs too.

Having completed the build I had a dilemma . My car had gasket fitted between the cam tower and head even though my engine number says it should just be sealant . Having orders gasket form SJ so I could measure valve clearances with and without the gasket it seems that my shims are definitely out .

On the inlet dry fit & no gasket I get clearances of zero through to 0.003".

With gasket they are 0.01- 0.013"

Exhaust are somewhere in excess of 0.02"

Measuring my shims themselves I noticed that the intake ones are in the range of 4.15mm where as the exhaust ones are all aroundn3.5mm is this normal 

If I go without the gasket and use loctite.or similar all my.shims are too big . Does anyone have access to a selection I could trail ?

Thanks 

PXL_20220727_181956171.jpg

Good idea at this point, if not checked already, are the studs, and fit inserts if not. I had these done as a matter of course and though a pain it was worth it.

This included the exhaust manifold studs.

The machine shop bench tested the shims, and apart from swapping two around for better dry fit tests, I didn't have to mess about the shims, though obviously measured them throughout the fitting process. I used sealant on the cam towers, not gaskets, which Lotus deleted very early on.

• Like 1

You shouldn't have gaskets on the cam towers on your car. Just the anaerobic sealant. The inlet and exhaust valves have different settings. Can't remember off the top of my head what the values are.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi all, 

Eventually my engine is on its way back . New liners , new pistons, new bearings , reground crank and top end rebuild . So basically New !

As I ponder my navel, I thought I might start fitting the decals to the new painted bodyshell.

Do any of you have templates or dimensions to help position all the decals ?

Ilm starting with the rear bootlid ( Lotus letters and constructors badge, them working forward with the S2 stickers near the fuel fillers

Any help advise would be appreciated .

I did also notice that the lotus letters and constructors badge plate which unsourced from SJ have little tabs/legs on the back but my car doesn't have any corresponding holes ?

Alistair,

Seem to be having difficulty attaching a file so I'll highlight the placement here.  Sorry for the cryptic message - let me know if you need any help in de-cyphering any of this.  FYI, these measurements we're taken from the original decals placed on my S2.

"ESPRIT" on Sail Panel

"ESPRIT" is 8 1/4" aft of the "ear" housing.

The "E" (in Esprit) is 5.85" down from the rear hatch plane (measure with calipers).  5.85" to middle of "E".  Top of "E" is 5.35" from the same plane.

"S2" is 13 1/4" aft of ear housing.  Top of "S2" is 0.85" below the  below the "I" in Esprit.  S2 begins just aft of the vertical plane of "R" in Esprit.   S2 is 21 7/8" forward of the rear plane of the sail panel.

NOSE Panel

The "P" on Esprit is 8" down from the boot opening.

Lou R

• Like 1

Alistair,

One last comment - make sure the replacement decals you have are the exact size of the ones being replaced otherwise they won't look right if you install them as per the above dims.

Lou R

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi all,

The engine reassembly is going well( I think) on my 2.0 1980 esprit 

However I have an issue with my dipstick tube. It is not attached to the sump? See photo

i cannot see an obvious way to fix this  ie is it welded, should it be fitted some other way? The sump has baffles inside so I cannot see how an internal fixing would work 

any advice appreciated 

thanks

Ali

47E07DE0-513B-465A-B382-A1B50B2CF64C.jpeg

I’ve never removed the tube but have a sump on the garage floor so will have a look, I assumed they were a tight press fit bonded with some sort of compound/loctite.

Is it loose in the hole now?

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

1 minute ago, peteyg said:

Pretty sure it's a press fit. Mine swivels but does leak oil so it's not fixed.

Pete

I thought it was, just wasn't certain. They often are.

• Like 1

Just checked mine, it’s pretty solid in there so looks like it’s a good push fit, think I’d clean it up with plenty of carb cleaner and push back in with a little loctite 638.F48AB932-A3AB-4088-B329-1D32B71D7EEF.thumb.jpeg.67e11e54da954b3472d8c27876ae3ce8.jpeg

DDA2B08C-1DBB-40C6-8C20-46D3B10C88EB.thumb.jpeg.95bb20020a0f7d90c11cf3fc8a5f829a.jpeg

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Alistair, I’ve been busy with a house move but you would be welcome to both my old rear S2 light units if they are of use when I unbox stuff next year.

Can’t give you a date and they were in average condition but might be salvageable for the back plate you need.