Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My 1980 Elite 2.2 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My 1980 Elite 2.2

Yayy ! 😅 borrowed a more powerful jumpstarter this morning, checked oil,  made sure the water was well topped up  and she started like I had just driven the car last week instead of two years ago ! Fans cut in properly in the heat too !

(Now, why won`t the heater blower switch off ?? )

Fingers crossed for an MOT on Monday after battery recharged. Then application for Historic Vehicle tax status...

• Like 1

Thanks Tony !...(the Historic Vehicle tax status is vital to exempt it from the wider London ULEZ to be imposed in October where I live ; I think it`ll be eligible this car tax year otherwise it`ll be garaged until it is exempt... )

• Like 1

Well, the "recharged" battery turned out to be as effective as a meringue crowbar...off to Euro car parts for a replacement (Bosch S4 023)  and upon fitting that,  it started straight away (the good news) and off to the MOT...

Now the bad news. So...the rear brakes have seized and the exhaust box is full of holes .

(There`s a reason why I posted my car in this thread !)

• Like 1

The exhaust is an easy one.  The rear brakes not so much!  Depending on when the rear brakes were last serviced it might be almost as easy to drop the diff to service them, especially if the handbrake linkage needs attention - it's a bugger to get to!  Check the diff output shaft seals as well- it's common for them to leak oil into the rear brake drums.  Let us know how you get on.

Pete

Hi Pete-yes indeed the rear brakes are a pig , not so much for me as for my long-suffering mechanic friend .The diff is coming off, possibly as I write. Hope to get the MOT ticket today or tomorrow . 

• Like 1

Yayy ! MOT obtained, applying for Historic Vehicle status...then must bite the bullet take the bull by the horns grasp the nettle and sort out the engine.

In the meantime, I spray-glued the passenger seat headlining back on with the help of a mini-roller brush to flatten the fabric. Found it difficult to get the edges looking tidy though...Can`t help thinking the fix won`t last out in the sun, but for the moment any passengers won`t think they`re sitting in a mobile tent...  

Hi Pete, the diff came off and the drums just had to be loosened and greased - also the brake cylinder had to be freed off (I`m a bit vague on that one but was told it didn`t need replacing so assuming all ok ). It all sounded like problems just from leaving the car standing. As might be expected , I had kept the handbrake off all that time as well.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It does seem to run well but is smoky and gobbles water. Tried K-seal a while back but it didn`t seem to help. Temp needle creeps up and up if I dont fill with coolant before every trip. Mayonnaise in the filler cap. So I think there`s a piston ring  issue as well as a gasket /liner one. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another update ....had the driver`s cream leather seat renovated; it was discoloured and tired with mild cracks at the shoulder. Guy came round in a pristine BMW X6 ( my only cause for discontent -it`s my least favourite car ever), filled and sanded the cracks and resprayed the seat (and a stained bit of door panel ) meticulously and thoroughly competently.It cost me £280 but seat now looks nearly new in a good way (not "like new" which would render it very distinct from the other seats which are not bad  ). Very happy with the result and noted good reviews on the net.   I would recommend his services any time. (PM me if you want more details).

Sunday ; took the car on another 20 mile drive (half a tankful in there) just in time for it to get drenched.  Thought I`d continue driving just to dry it off and that worked a treat. Temp needle behaved itself perfectly (as long as I fill up the expansion tank before every journey). What with a Level 42 cassette blasting out , the pleasure came back ; it was like the old days of 2013 again !

Rang to arrange the engine rebuild. No-one to book it in. Away for 2 weeks. Will try again in a few days. It can spend Winter being worked on instead of just laid up. That`s the plan !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another little update...another brimming of the expansion tank for luck then a 20 mile drive with a horrible snail`s pace half hour double-temporary roadworks light traffic queue in the middle...temp needle and fans behaved fine-if anything the engine is running too cool !

Anyway main thing is car is now booked in for engine rebuild in December .( I can`t divulge who with as they said their waiting list is too long already...)   

• Like 1

OK , the driver`s seat "Before " and "After" - "Before" picture was taken with car garaged so all a bit dark - not the greatest-but you can see the discolouration (despite my attempts to clean it)  and cracks at the side which have now been filled .

PS I know it`s not this thread but I`m now selling my 1970 Porsche 914. PM me for further details...

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Pete , yes he sprayed it meticulously and also cleaned and sprayed the drivers door panel which was equally stained. I think whoever had the car before me rarely carried passengers as the other seats are in very much better nick and none have cracks, even after 40 years. The guy who restored the seat told me he thought the seats had been restored before. They naturally look a bit older than the driver`s seat though. It would be nice to get them all done one day but the engine and electricals need to come first now !  🙂

• Like 1