Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Road Rage Phenomenon - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Road Rage Phenomenon

harveysalgadopix

Here in oz an Esprit is a rare sight. I find other drivers seem to enjoy seeing it and checking it out rather than trying to race me. I can't think of an occasion when that has happened. Often I find courtesies such as backing off and making a gap for me when I need to change lanes. I also have an old 944t in original condition and because they're a rare sight nowadays, get similar reactions from other drivers to that too. 

• Like 1

DanR

DanR, I’m not shocked to hear your report from Australia,  at times I am ashamed to say I am American,  it’s the age of the whiner and the gang banger Here, Not everyone of course but there is an entire subculture of stupidity. I imagine Aussies being a little more sophisticated than many of my American counterparts.

2 hours ago, harveysalgadopix said:

I imagine Aussies being a little more sophisticated than many of my American counterparts.

Aussie and sophisticated dont belong in the same sentence! 

• Haha 2

I've experienced a slightly different reaction from some drivers of very nice fast cars on a few occasions. In a couple of wide open 40mph zones where many drive at speeds approaching 50mph. Having pulled out from junctions as I've passed I've seen them actually noticeably slow up in my rear view mirror to about 30mph to keep their distance. As if my gleaming white Esprit will take attention away from their own cars, or perhaps they think my 1978 car will outshine their white Porker GT3 or Ferrari 355 GTS in the performance stakes. As if!

As for holding up tailgating and speeding cars, I've found it only inflames the issue. Impatience begets impatience. Just let them pass and enjoy the remaining drive.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 09:33, Barrykearley said:

At the points where it’s possible to overtake I always find my van makes the most use of its 194bhp - and slows down to conserve fuel once the Lane narrows again. 

Sad admission Barry, thought better of you. 

Here in the states it seems to be standard procedure for many drivers to loaf along on the two lane at under the limit, only to speed up 10+mph when in the passing lanes, then to slow again after. I hate to admit this quickens my blood considerably. 

Cant say I have ever had any hostile behaviour towards the Esprit. Its very common, in 2-lane traffic that another car will hang back and drive either alongside the Esprit or slightly behind, to get a good look at it.
The same happens with my AZ-1 but thats because they are trying to work out what on earth it is. Passengers phone comes out as they Google it.

When I owned a Ferrari 328 I would often get "let's overtake the Ferrari" dickheads though. Ferraris, even older ones seem to bring out the envy factor in some people, but not so the Esprit.