Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you 'Shake your Head' today? - Page 44 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you 'Shake your Head' today?

ramjet

That is a huge amount of money for a metal tube with a motor that doesn't work very well but we spend £46bn a year on defence, I'd imagine they can cover that! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
20 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

who foots the bill?

I am sure the tax payer will one way or another.

The NHS burns through that £17m in less than an hour, each day, every day. My question is why are we testing our Trident missiles so infrequently? 8 years since the last effort (failed) seems a ridiculously long time to wait, only for it to fail again. The whole of WWII lasted 6 years, so things need sorting much quicker than this.

39 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

I am sure the tax payer will one way or another.

That's my point. The faulty missile provider should surely cough up for providing, well, err, faulty missiles.

The NHS only burns through £17m per hour as it is quite frankly the most inefficient of organisations in the world. Ever.

Lot's of well meaning people work in it, but blow me over, very few of them could organise a birthday party, let alone life saving health care.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Crazy times.

Ministers should hand all 30-year-olds a £10,000 “citizens inheritance” amid fears a £1.5tn wealth transfer to millennials will deepen inequalities, a Conservative peer has urged.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/02/tory-peer-calls-for-10000-citizens-inheritance-for-all-30-year-olds

• Sad 1

The problem with this country is we have too many handouts as it is. If 30 year olds need an extra £10,000 then they can get off social media, tik tok etc and get a second income to create that £10k.

Tory peers are about as in touch with reality as Vinnie Jones is with his feminine side! Completer and nutter bollocks shite and sadly what i expect out of the mouths of Tory Peers these days. So out of touch.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

:no - What the hell is up with this country!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/04/sir-walter-raleigh-sir-francis-drake-names-exeter-school/

In case you can't access it:

A private school has pledged to remove the names of Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir Francis Drake from its buildings in an “inclusivity” drive.

Parents at Exeter School in Devon were told that the Elizabethan naval heroes no longer “represent the values and inclusive nature” of the school.

Louise Simpson, the head teacher, said they had “less than positive connotations” in modern times.

She has announced plans to rename the school’s houses after local woodlands, castles or topographical features, The Sun reported.

Exeter School in Devon can trace its history back to 1633 CREDIT: EXETER MEMORIES

Raleigh was one of the most celebrated explorers of Elizabeth I’s reign. He helped defend England against the Spanish Armada in 1588, serving as a naval adviser to Queen Elizabeth and helping to improve the design of ships, which is considered a significant factor in the success of the English fleet against the Spanish.

A year earlier, he had launched an attack on the harbour at Cádiz in southern Spain, sinking 37 ships, which forced the Armada to delay sailing by a crucial year.

He was the first Englishman to travel all around the globe as part of a mission approved by Queen Elizabeth against the Spanish. 

Colonial expedition

Raleigh was a colonialist who failed to establish a British settlement in North Carolina because of hostile relations with Native Americans. He is believed to have brought back potatoes and tobacco on return from his expeditions. Potatoes were grown on Raleigh’s estates in Ireland and he is said to have popularised smoking at court.

However, his legacy has been reassessed over his involvement in the slave trade following Black Lives Matter protests in 2020.

Drake took part in voyages with his cousin, Sir John Hawkins, which saw the capture of black African slaves. They also attacked Portuguese slave ships to steal their cargo of slaves.

Drake and Raleigh are among 10 house names being scrapped at Exeter School, which charges fees of up to £16,710 a year.

The other names include the philanthropists and benefactors Sir John Daw, Wilfred Townsend, Sir Charles Goff, Hugh Crossing and Elizabeth Dowrich.

‘Erasing the school’s history’

The school is facing a backlash from parents and alumni over the plans. One former pupil told The Sun: “Instead of erasing the school’s history, the mature thing to do is let the pupils think for themselves.

“Woke cancel culture like this just makes people question the head’s suitability for the job.”

Last year, the Sir Francis Drake school in south London was renamed Twin Oaks Primary because of concerns about the navigator’s links to the slave trade, which the head teacher said sat “at odds with the values of our school”.

During the Black Lives Matter protests, there were calls to remove Drake’s statue from Plymouth, where legend had it he calmly played bowls before defeating the Spanish Armada. However, the council said the statue would stay, with a plaque installed to detail his links to the slave trade.

Edited by march
  • Sad 3

Probably another example of a fragile, female, middle class apologist of a head teacher.

I'm totally appalled and thankfully.She should be sacked for clearly being an escaped village idiot.  As a comprehensively educated individual I know the value and history around these individuals.

Very soon british history will be vanquished. Can you imagine the French, Italians, Portuguese, Spanish accepting this?

• Like 1

The small print.

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Very soon british history will be vanquished. Can you imagine the French, Italians, Portuguese, Spanish accepting this?

Yes. Many of them may not like it, but it's happening all over Europe and the US. Not just the UK.
In bhellgium the woke champions are mainly targeting Leopold II, our second king, who established a sizeable colony in Africa. He used the proceedings to expand and improve Brussels, not only for his own glory but also benefiting the people by building roads and museums etc.

• Sad 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

16 hours ago, march said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/04/sir-walter-raleigh-sir-francis-drake-names-exeter-school/

In case you can't access it:

A private school has pledged to remove the names of Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir Francis Drake from its buildings in an “inclusivity” drive.

Parents at Exeter School in Devon were told that the Elizabethan naval heroes no longer “represent the values and inclusive nature” of the school.

Louise Simpson, the head teacher, said they had “less than positive connotations” in modern times.

She has announced plans to rename the school’s houses after local woodlands, castles or topographical features, The Sun reported.

Exeter School in Devon can trace its history back to 1633 CREDIT: EXETER MEMORIES

Raleigh was one of the most celebrated explorers of Elizabeth I’s reign. He helped defend England against the Spanish Armada in 1588, serving as a naval adviser to Queen Elizabeth and helping to improve the design of ships, which is considered a significant factor in the success of the English fleet against the Spanish.

A year earlier, he had launched an attack on the harbour at Cádiz in southern Spain, sinking 37 ships, which forced the Armada to delay sailing by a crucial year.

He was the first Englishman to travel all around the globe as part of a mission approved by Queen Elizabeth against the Spanish. 

review of the game is here

On the one hand, the desire for inclusion and diversity in modern society is understandable. But history should not be censored, but studied with all the pros and cons.

We had an entertainment venue called the  Rhodes centre, where he lived . Now called south mill arts centre

• Sad 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Of course he was. His parents will deny knowledge and responsibility and due to his age no further action.

Effectively the scum get off scott free. All of them.

This country is nuts.

BBC News - Boy, 11, found driving BMW towing caravan on M1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-68513071

The small print.

10 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Boy, 11, found driving BMW towing caravan on M1

and he stole it.

1 hour ago, exeterjeep said:

and he stole it.

That's my point. He didn't, his family did but him being behind the wheel, at 11, means they'll get away with it.

• Sad 2

The small print.

Classic travellers trick

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

In a somewhat last minute decision when the Evora finally went into bodyshop last week, I decided to take up the other party's insurance company's offer of a temporary replacement car. I had been intending to use our Alfa but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now and I just had that little niggle in the back of my mind about placing my reliance for transport solely with it.

Anyway, it took a couple of days for all the admin to filter its way through from insurance company to rental company then for them to locate and deliver a suitable 'equivalent' vehicle to me.

Well, I can only presume that the Lotus Evora was unknown to them and on looking online, the search for 'Lotus' brought up the Eletre as this is what arrived at my door at lunchtime, :rolleyes:.........

Tucson.jpg.fbdcd975702dd8f4010a7aa420e78a5e.jpg

A Hyundai Tucson self-charging petrol hybrid. Relatively quick off the mark in a straight line but hit a twisty bit and a Lotus equivalent it most certainly aint!

Could have been worse though I suppose - could have been of German origin and then I would have had to alter my driving style completely. "Indicators? What are these 'indicators' you speak of?" :P

• Haha 2

My wife's car (Discovery Sport) is in for repair after someone backed into her. Her insurance said that as it was the other party's fault she was entitled to an equivalent hire car. They asked Enterprise to arrange. She now has a Volvo XC60 while hers is in for repair. Have to say it is quite nice to drive - fairly nippy and has all the bells and whistles.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I've just read this and had to pinch myself to check that (1) I was not hallucinating and that (2) I had not somehow been transported by "Scottie" to Russia or North Korea, or by Dr. Who, back in time to Germany in the 1930's were citizens were encouraged to report on each others views to the authorities. I am actually quite terrified that in a country were "free speech" and "freedom of expression" is a bastion, a foundation, of our democracy, that this is being allowed.

What are peoples thoughts?  Have I missed the point or lost the plot?

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/police-scotland-officers-must-pass-32365902

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-sex-shop-one-dozens-32342969

• Like 1
  • Shock 1

The small print.