Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BASIC INSTINCT, the Lotus Esprit V8 Project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

BASIC INSTINCT, the Lotus Esprit V8 Project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Woo hoo! Nice one @TBD. What a great post for a new thread and I cannot wait to see what you create Thomas and a view videos of it driving.  Best of luck. Superb project.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Great project.  I actually prefer the look of the earlier V8 in terms of wheels and rear wing.

Looking forward to seeing the journey.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

15 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

Great project.  I actually prefer the look of the earlier V8 in terms of wheels and rear wing.

Looking forward to seeing the journey.

And I actually prefer the later wheels and wing. So if someone wants to swap.

But on the other side, I very much prefer the earlier interior and dashboard.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

22 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

I see some influence from Tim Neely`s Esprit V8 there.  Very nice.

1047312010_TimNeelyV8.JPG.e196fb8aa23ac7daf84f15afd66b2151.JPG

The Lotus Cars teaser was the initial inspitarion, but Tim's car completed the picture with those rocker panels. And a bit of EX460 for the front.

Unfortunately we wont be able to get the OZ saturn rims, the car being fitted with the older wheels. I'm still open to suggestions for a better alternative.

NewLotusEsprit-Jan22.jpg

Lotus Esprit V8 black Front View.png

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• 2 months later...

Time for an update. I finally saw the car end pf June at the paint shop. Such a dream.

IMG_20220628_145550.thumb.jpg.de796578b138c51d33b38d6dbd5be761.jpg

Unfortunately the repainting is becoming abit of a nightmare. Evidently the car was already repainted at one time, but the paint didn't bond to the car. So, this will take a bit longer....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Looking forward to more updates as you progress.   It`s always good to see a project running through the process and getting some much needed love.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

So I've started looking at rims and tires for the Esprit. The familiar problem is that very few tires are avalable to fit to the stock wheel sizes. Semms like only less popular brands such as Nanking, Falken or Toyo are still making a tire that would fit for both fronts and rears. Also,the 6-spoke OZ Racing wheels on the car willnneed extensive refurbishment and repainting.

It looks like I may have found a viable option that would open to a much larger world of tires.

Team Dynamics (RimStock) has the Pro Race 1.3 (https://www.rimstock.com/content/pro-race-1-3) rim in 18"x8.5 and 18"x10 that could fit. Apparently the offset can be custom fitted, otherwise spacers could bridge the gap (objective being to keep the track as Lotus handling division designed).

There are a lot more tires available to fit the 18" wheels font and back, including the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (245/35ZR18 in Front, 295/35ZR18 Rear - each only 10mm wider).

Team Dynamics wheels are fitted as option to many Exige V6 (including my Komotec Exige EX460) and I think they look very fitting. The Esprit has such a timeless (futuristic) look that it need not be locked into the past by old wheel designs.

763645813_LotusEspritV8blackv13.thumb.png.77745765d6665b0d984a04777b3e0905.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinks are really starting to come closer. I just love the gold flakes in the Lotus Motorsport Back!

• Like 2

Gathering speed.  It`s great when a vision starts to form into a result.

• Like 1

Just now, mike_sekinger said:

Gathering speed.  It`s great when a vision start to form into a result.

I can see that from your GT1 project.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have Komotec looking at the Braid Forged 7 wheels in 18"/19".  Daniel already has these for the Exige and the Evora and they are available in the right sizes.

Probably going for the Bridgestone Potenza Sport in 245/35R18 and 295/30R19, which are avery decent tire.

NB, if anyone is interested in a group buy on the wheels PM me.

Lotus_Esprit_V8_black Forged 7 (1).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Today is a great day! Finally the last part, the main body shell, has completed painting!
I have been waiting so long for this moment. Motorsport Black was such a great choice with the gold pearl!

Following reassembly we'll still have a long way to go:
  • Gearbox rebuild
  • Big brake kit
  • New wheels
  • Suspension (mostly bushings)
  • New ICE
  • Odds and ends
  • and, not to forget, Tuning.

• Like 1

Excellent.  A lovely Winter project that will be ready for 2023.

• 1 month later...

What kind of chargecooler setup are they planning on? There's a few of us looking for alternatives after the ProAlloy group buy didn't happen.

The wait must be terribly long for you (I know about that...), but with a target date you now have something to look forward to! 

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.