Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT410 Sport to ‘Phil’s Spec’ - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GT410 Sport to ‘Phil’s Spec’

Go to solution Solved by Spinney,

Any news yet on the damper part nos and prices please Bibs? I’m hoping to get them changed when the car is in for its annual service at the end of the month. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here we are :)

Front:

A132C0093F - £256.80

Rear:

B132D0077F - £256.80

You'll need 2 of both and prices are plus VAT so the total would be £1,232.64 + delivery. I can order them in for you if you'd like me to and you'll get an FFM discount.

• Thanks 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Many thanks for that Bibs, it's very much appreciated. Can't afford them this month now, due to other unexpected expenses, but I'll be back in touch with you very soon! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At last I can resurrect this thread, having just had the funds released to allow me to buy the dampers you've given me the link to Bibs. :thumbup:

I've sent you a message too, so can we look at ordering them now please? Let me know how I need to play this with regard to payment etc and I will get it organised.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I did but I was going the other way, from my std very stiff GT410 dampers to std and more compliant 400 dampers. So very glad I did too as, for me, stiffer dampers in a Lotus is a step too far. 

I will very shortly have my own (low mileage) ‘special offer’ GT410 dampers available in the classifieds!😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Spinney said:

Finally managed to get the car booked into B & C today to have the dampers swapped over and can report a huge improvement in the ride quality.  

Maybe 10 years or so ago I would have tolerated the harsh ride but even then I knew that really isn’t what Lotus are known for. All my many previous Lotus cars, even my beloved V6 Exige, were all notable for their decent ride quality coupled with exceptional handling and roadholding. It is the magic ability for which Lotus have long been known and envied for; how to make a car that handles with precision yet doesn’t rattle your teeth. 

Very pleased my car now rides as it always should have and happy to leave the bone shaking ride to younger chaps!😃

Interesting that the difference is quite so stark.

Indeed so. I knew it would make a difference but hadn’t expected it to be this much.

Having watched the recent video of Harry Metcalfes Emira test where he tries both the touring and sport versions, I agree wholeheartedly with his verdict. Obviously I know they are ‘different’ cars but I’m sure there are clear parallels between Evora and Emira setups. Harry was quite clear in his preference for the touring setup on U.K. roads, so it is very noticeable. 

• Like 2

I’m sure the softer dampers are great for the majority of road use but I think you are exaggerating about how stiff the Sport dampers are. Firm yes and many prefer that feeling in a sports car but when describing them as ‘bone jarring’ and ‘teeth rattling’ it is you that is being ‘harsh’!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jep said:

I like all Evora but NA suspension my favourite, particularly if you drive bumpy B roads a lot. 

Justin 

Having had an NA and now Phil's-spec (400), I agree. However I have got totally used to the 400-spec suspension and it would be interesting to see how an NA feels now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimichanga said:

I’m sure the softer dampers are great for the majority of road use but I think you are exaggerating about how stiff the Sport dampers are. Firm yes and many prefer that feeling in a sports car but when describing them as ‘bone jarring’ and ‘teeth rattling’ it is you that is being ‘harsh’!

I couldn’t disagree more I’m afraid. It is clearly a very subjective thing and, for me, the ride was bone jarring whereas it is still on the firm side but altogether more tolerable on the roads I use.

There is no exaggeration in that and I know what I feel when driving the car. As I said earlier, maybe 10 years or more ago, I would have been ok with it but I am not, shall we say, in the first flush of youth any longer. Many things in my cars that I would have accepted years ago, I wouldn’t now and this is just one of those things. 

Not everybody would agree, I understand that, but I’m not everybody and have particular requirements from a car. The replacement dampers mean I will now enjoy driving the car more even on our shockingly bad roads. 

Having owned many, and I mean very many, Lotus cars since I started driving back in the 60’s, suspension compliancy was always something a Lotus stood for. For me, the standard GT410 Sport suspension is an unwelcome departure from that norm. Maybe the previous Lotus CEO would have agreed, since it was he who introduced the softer ‘Phil’s Spec’ Evora. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2022 at 12:14, EGTE said:

Having had an NA and now Phil's-spec (400), I agree. However I have got totally used to the 400-spec suspension and it would be interesting to see how an NA feels now.

I would be interested to hear your conclusions on that! And anyway, I think it would be time for some more pictures of your car!  I admit, an Empire Green Evora with Phil-spec, Charge-Cooler and maybe Ohlins would be my absolute favourite Lotus.. 😉

For the few who know the difference

• 2 weeks later...

Having just bought a Evora GT410 Sport, can I just double check that its still only the following parts to make the suspension a more touring set up? 

Spoiler

https://shop.thelotusforums.com/products/a132c0093f-evora-400-front-damper

https://shop.thelotusforums.com/products/b132d0077f-evora-400-rear-damper

@Spinney  Have you noticed any major differences apart from the ride quality when you made the switch over?

Thank you,

Phil