Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
where are we at with G Turbo manifolds? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

where are we at with G Turbo manifolds?

Hi everyone, 

I'm seeing posts about group buys from Alunox but they are all from a good few years ago - what is the current situation on manifold replacements - and, is the recommendation to replace the entire system?

Jaap

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

See he also has a conversion kit to use a later manifold and turbo.   Seems pretty good value.

I always surprised that nobody has reproduced the main wastegate casting, which can corrode very heavily.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 15:52, 910Esprit said:

See he also has a conversion kit to use a later manifold and turbo.   Seems pretty good value.

I always surprised that nobody has reproduced the main wastegate casting, which can corrode very heavily.

I don't think it makes sense in many ways. When I tried to fix my wastegate about 17 years ago, I could only find NOS diaphragms that were going for something like $400USD. 

I think it would make more sense to replace the wastegate with a manifold that would accept a modern wastegate without any modification to the stock exhaust. I actually retapped the existing manifold and was able to install a modern wastegate (I added a block off plate to the outlet on the manifold), and I was going to have a shop build the pipe from the wastegate back to the exhaust, but I never got any further than that. I ended up buying and installing an entire Alunox system (manifold back), which is probably the better (but more expensive) way to go. 

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

My understanding is that it deletes both the external wastegate and the adapter manifold, which allows the use of a 'modern' turbo with an integral wastegate.

Regarding 2nd quote - That's my point.  If the main wastegate casting was reproduced it would allow G car owners to fully service the existing external wastegate to new condition, as all other wearing parts are available in the UK.   

Edited by 910Esprit