Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front Left Rumbling/Knock road speed related - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Front Left Rumbling/Knock road speed related

Go to solution Solved by Bravo73,

Right as the title says the Evora has gained a road speed related rumbling/knocking from the front passenger side wheel. The noise goes away when braking , hard or even gentle application . This is the first day I've driven it since the LOT TD at Bedford early July for various reasons and I've got another TD next Monday so just this week to solve  Any thoughts ?

Note I've not pulled anything apart yet as I noticed it on the run to work this morning so will start dismembering tonight when I get home.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had a similar noise , changed anti roll bar bushes which although they looked fine must have been shot as noise gone once I changed them for poly bush bushes.

Edited by NAC63
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions both , poly bushes and drop links done last year as they did clunk , this is different to that it's "rotational" and varies with road speed , and goes if you apply be brakes even gently. So had the offending corner off now , cant hear anything rotating it by hand but a shed load of rust and dust dropped out of the wheel when I took it off so everything cleaned checked and put back together ..  see. After reading another thread have also ordered a full set of wheel bolts incase these are passed their best and with the combination of heat and retorquing when hot at Bedford have stretched

• Solution
25 minutes ago, cdco said:

this is different to that it's "rotational" and varies with road speed , and goes if you apply be brakes even gently.

It will be the brakes then. 😉

Probably older pads catching or rubbing against the discs. Or maybe one of the ‘anti-vib/squeal’ springs has failed.

Have you had the pads out for a look yet?

No I haven't but that's a good call, had a quick look whilst I had the wheel off and all looked superficially ok. I put new Mintex in for the TD as I wasn't happy last time out at Donnington with the standard Ferodos so I'll pull both fronts off later and have a better look. Might just order new pins and anti rattle plates just in case.

I’d agree with @Bravo73

Lack of tension in the springs will make the pads rattle which applying brake pressure will stop.  That’s a simple explanation but something more serious could be at issue bearing in mind your comment about lots of dust and rust falling out of the wheel, eg, I’m thinking serious pad degradation.  Definitely take them out and have a good look before using the brakes in anger again. 

Well pins and springs ordered , I'll pull everything out and check when I replace them. A quick visual yesterday suggests the pads are in good nick and hadn't worn overly at Bedford but I will pull them out and check the pad faces when I redo the pins and springs.

• Like 1