Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
France Trip - Advice wanted - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

France Trip - Advice wanted

Hi guys, 

I’m going to Classic Le Mans next year, and looking to tag on a week or so at the end for a road trip around France. Fingers crossed I’ll have my Emira by then…. 

Planning on heading down to do Red Rock road, Route Napoleon, and Clue de Greolieres. Then thinking about heading up into the Alps to do Grimsel Pass. 

Not driven into France before, so if anyone has done something similar or has advice about the area, must dos, avoid etc. it would be much appreciated! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't speed. 50kmh over the limit is an instant ban. 

The French deliberately alter autoroute speed limits to catch you out. Speeds reduce from 130 to 110 to 90 for no logical reason (fixed signs, not smart motorways). Cameras and speed traps are in place. I was flashed by a camera on Saturday, 97kmh indicated in a 90 on a motorway that was empty and had been 130kmh only 1000 yards before, so probably 4kmh over.....let's see if I get a letter. This was a fixed sign reduction not a variable speed limit. The motorway speed went back to 130kph a mile or so later.

Don't speed in villages either. 

You MUST have all your documents with you. MOT, V5, insurance, driving license and passport - no joke, they will not let you proceed if they stop you and you don't have them. This is Europe wide and worse after Brexit. 

You need all these for every journey, so don't leave them at the hotel for your day trips out esp passport and driving licence.

I was stopped by German customs on the autobahn last week for no reason, clearly a Brexit stop. If I had not had my documents with me, they said they would call the police and further suggested it was a big problem had I not had all my documents. They insisted my passenger also had to have a passport with them at all times. 

Yellow jacket, warning triangle, UK stickers on number plates, spare eye glasses if you need them for driving - these are all legally required. 

And ensure your car is taxed for UK, it applies in Europe to validate your car as 'legal'. 

If you drive a 'flash' car in Europe, authorities love to stop it. It is not necessarily a hostile move but once you are stopped, they routinely check your documents so please ensure you have them.

I wasn't stopped once in my '73 Jaguar in 18 days, 3400 miles. When in the McLaren, I get stopped regularly for no reason. Last week, I was pulled over, the purple Lotus of my pal (Evora, loud, doing 120mph+ on Autobahn) was left alone - they didn't even check his documents after he followed us off the autobahn! Fair enough, it's a Lotus. 😇

Justin 

• Like 1

Have just come back from France, stuck a UK sticker on the boot, got a first aid kit, hi viz, triangle, and bulb kit. all other stuff on phone. 

Driving over there is easy roads are lovely.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Seems about right, have the list above as it is the law.

It you are keen to eat, the Michelin guide book is an easy way to find fancy and good restaurants.

Roads are very good but there can be highways with traffic jams during holiday so check times that are better for that.

The alps is quite far so make sure you plan a bit to make sure the amount of driving you do is acceptable to you.

Lots and lots to visit, you can do the wine region of burgundy, Beaunes should be on the way. You can push to Vonnas and Macon as well.

If you have time avoid the Highway, the national roads aren’t as fast but very pleasant in the countryside.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advise guys, I will definitely be sure to watch my speed and ensure I have all my travel documents and equipment! 

3 hours ago, PAR said:

Roads are very good but there can be highways with traffic jams during holiday so check times that are better for that.

The alps is quite far so make sure you plan a bit to make sure the amount of driving you do is acceptable to you.

Do you know if Google maps timings are fairly accurate? I’ve just come back from a week in the Highlands doing the NC500 and the small roads hampered progress (not that I was bothered as it gave more time to take in the views) but just for planning purposes. I’m fairly happy driving 6/7 hours a day without an issue. Never really had to drive for longer though. 

I’m still deciding if I should press on to the alps or look to do more of the balcony roads in the south of France. 

If you're doing the Alps, personally I'd divert to Germany and enjoy the autobahns. Avoid 61, that's a truck route. 

Black Forest is worth a visit. Stuttgart for Porsche and Merc museums, both great. Munich for BMW museum, brilliant - and I don't even like German cars. 

Justin

• Gold FFM

Only missed one Classic Le Man. Fantastic few days and guaranteed enjoyment. Tolls roads throughout France are annoying.

Also just come back a week ago from a 7 Country 3k mile road trip including Stelvio Pass, Timmelsjoch Pass, Furka Pass, Grimsel Pass, Goddard Pass, Fern Pass and Rechen Pass - Awesome driving roads and stunning views!

7240213A-B5D0-4AF0-9A66-5F76B9FF37D0.jpeg

DD189AEF-7E72-4ADC-98A6-AEA23BB6D68D.jpeg

• Like 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

That sounds like an epic trip, did you start it in the UK? Do you have more details? How long did it take, where did you stop and for how long? 

I drove back from north Italy recently (to the Eurotunnel at Calais) and beat the Google maps time by a good couple of hours. No speeding, just cruise control all of the way. 

Coincidentally, the autoroute tag probably saved me over an hour over the journey (with no queuing at toll booths). 

Clue de Greolieres... plenty of cool roads there.. I would probably stick to this area and add du Verdon area. Would not bother to go down to the coast. Driving all the way back to the alps is quite a journey.

Will do some Route de Grand Alps later in autumn myself 😉

IMG_4050.jpg.8a02024196c9df943ed05ce3e214396e.thumb.jpg.25d34f56172413dd6ccddacb924965d4.jpgIMG_4032.JPG.9c9f2bfc9dc5debf7cfef318591d3bf3.thumb.JPG.ca8278a256b5d3bd973b058d17cf82b2.JPG

For the few who know the difference